Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
jester1989
AF Newbie

Dodge Avenger Strut replacement

Hello everyone!! I am a new member to automotiveforums.com. Theres lots i need to learn about automotive and i was hoping to do lots of that right here on this forum.
My first problem, I got two new struts replaced at a mechanic who went out of business conveniently two months later. The front left strut seems to not be working properly, its leaked out grease and I assume its not absorbing any shock because ive got a cracked rim now. My question, I believe my passenger side is still in good shape and i maybe just got unlucky with the drivers front one.
Can i replace one strut? Ive heard its recommended to replace both at once.
This is the strut i was looking at http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html
Its made from Monroe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jesse
jester1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

Re: Dodge Avenger Strut replacement

Yeah you can replace one if you want. Complete assembly would make it easier on you for sure. Monroe struts kinda suck, so if you can get a sensatrac monroe, you would be better off and they last, but Hey i get it, times are tough. Only other thing you might want to worry about is the alignment. You want to make sure the vehicle is still in alignment after you do any suspension work.

Kinda sucks I know, but you can find coupons online for various alignment shops.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
jester1989
AF Newbie

thanks sleepyhead appreciate the advice. Ill stay away from Monroe, i found KYB for a decent price. Ill be sure to get an alignment after. Is an alignment generally a good idea after or should i only worry about it if I have vibrations or pulling one way or another?
jester1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
SleepyHead98
AF Regular

I was hoping someone else would follow up just to confirm what I said earlier but o well haha. You want to get an alignment, OR atleast get it checked. There are plenty of places that will check it for free.

If you dont get it done, I understand trust me, but you will wear your tires out, and depending on how bad out of alignment they are it could cause your strut to prematurely wear. How do I know, because Ive done it haha. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester1989 View Post
Hello everyone!! I am a new member to automotiveforums.com. Theres lots i need to learn about automotive and i was hoping to do lots of that right here on this forum.
My first problem, I got two new struts replaced at a mechanic who went out of business conveniently two months later. The front left strut seems to not be working properly, its leaked out grease and I assume its not absorbing any shock because ive got a cracked rim now. My question, I believe my passenger side is still in good shape and i maybe just got unlucky with the drivers front one.
Can i replace one strut? Ive heard its recommended to replace both at once.
This is the strut i was looking at http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html
Its made from Monroe.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jesse
You can replace a strut Advance Auto and Auto Zone have loaner tools as you will have to compress the spring. You can purchase a loaded strut but you should purchase two of these. I would check what brand you have and try to get a new one under warranty.
If you install loaded struts definitely get an alignment.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger