Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 AM   #1
fiberglass1
AF Newbie

Question 35th Anniversary VIN numbering

Were the 2050 anniversary models produced at one time and then parcelled out to Chevrolet dealers? My #86 model was purchased by the original owner on March 31, 1988. Another anniversary vette was listed for sale on the internet. Its # was 171. The two VIN numbers were identical to the last digit with a four number difference and another column that was a 0 instead of a 3 which I assumed to be an option or check digit. How can a production serial difference of four translate into an anniversary number difference of 167? My thinking is that the group of produced anniversary cars were console numbered in some random fashion to allow the big spread in serial nr compared to the console number. Does anyone know or based on past knowledge can offer an explanation. This just came to light recently and I thot this would be an avenue to present this. Hi! to all and thanks.
fiberglass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
anchorbeach
AF Newbie

Re: 35th Anniversary VIN numbering

Hello ,I own number 469, with under 8K miles.Bought it from a 60 year old women in Norwalk , at that time it had under 6K on it. Anyhow, I think I read some where that the production run wasn't all 2050 at once, that may explain the disparity in the VIN numbers.
There were some variations in the production, they had three calloways built and 168 I think manual transmission with the 4+3 setup. Just with that I would think you might see some stop and go with production.
Side not, I chased down on the Post road this summer #169 . I was in myCherokee, pulled up along side and yeled out the request, what number you got:>) The rest of the busy stopped up traffic behind me wasn't as enthusiastic
anchorbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Schrade
AF Enthusiast

Re: 35th Anniversary VIN numbering

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorbeach
Hello ,I own number 469, with under 8K miles.Bought it from a 60 year old women in Norwalk , at that time it had under 6K on it. Anyhow, I think I read some where that the production run wasn't all 2050 at once, that may explain the disparity in the VIN numbers.
There were some variations in the production, they had three calloways built and 168 I think manual transmission with the 4+3 setup. Just with that I would think you might see some stop and go with production.
Side not, I chased down on the Post road this summer #169 . I was in myCherokee, pulled up along side and yeled out the request, what number you got:>) The rest of the busy stopped up traffic behind me wasn't as enthusiastic
I almost pulled the trigger on an ebay 35th last spring, in the next state. Cold feet stopped me (along with a screw in the interior door trim panel), and a couple of weeks later, I got a local machine ('94)
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD