Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance
Tips and Maintenance Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures here (for both Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Intrigue)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Fuel Pump Resistor Bypass '97-'00 GTP

The L67 GTP has a two speed fuel pump. There are two relays that control the fuel pump via the PCM module. The fuel pump relay and fuel pump hi-speed relay. Tied into the hi-speed relay is a fuel pump resistor that may go bad.

Symptoms vary but primarily the engine will start but die in a matter of seconds due to insufficient fuel pressure.

Here is an easy method to bypass the fuel pump resistor which puts the fuel pump in the high speed mode:

For an alternate bypass procedure Click here.

Keep in mind this is a temporary fix and your fuel pump will be running in hi-speed all the time. So sooner or later you will need to replace the fuel pump resistor. Available here.

GM Part Number: 88951182

Applicable to '97-'00 GTP with L67 Series II 3800

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines

Last edited by BNaylor; 01-26-2008 at 07:14 PM.
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Wheeler5
AF Newbie

Re: Fuel Pump Resistor Bypass '97-'00 GTP

I dont quit understand the whole process. I dont see a tab, and I cant take that little resistor thing off at all. How do you pull that thing off to get to the tab. Please help.
Wheeler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler5
I dont quit understand the whole process. I dont see a tab, and I cant take that little resistor thing off at all. How do you pull that thing off to get to the tab. Please help.
First pull Relay #15 off out of the relay socket. Rock back and forth and then pull up firmly. It is a plug-in relay. Then on the relay itself the tab is the contact - spade part. With needle nose pliers carefully bend it back as shown in the pic. The object is to create an open condition at pin 85 of the relay (#15).

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Wheeler5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor
First pull Relay #15 off out of the relay socket. Rock back and forth and then pull up firmly. It is a plug-in relay. Then on the relay itself the tab is the contact - spade part. With needle nose pliers carefully bend it back as shown in the pic. The object is to create an open condition at pin 85 of the relay (#15).
Thanks , great info . We have a bad resistor and with your help we now know what to do.
Wheeler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:07 AM   #5
snovotny0303
AF Newbie

WOW !! What great information ! I've been chasing this problem for the last 3 days ! Your information couldn't have been better or clearer. Thanks ! Now I can get some sleep ! Just one question. How long can you run the pump in high speed ? Is this a 10 - 20 mile workaround or can it somewhat safely run at high speed for a few hundred miles ? Just wondering....

Thanks again !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnaylor
The L67 GTP has a two speed fuel pump. There are two relays that control the fuel pump via the PCM module. The fuel pump relay and fuel pump hi-speed relay. Tied into the hi-speed relay is a fuel pump resistor that may go bad.

Symptoms vary but primarily the engine will start but die in a matter of seconds due to insufficient fuel pressure.

Here is an easy method to bypass the fuel pump resistor which puts the fuel pump in the high speed mode:

For an alternate bypass procedure Click here.

Keep in mind this is a temporary fix and your fuel pump will be running in hi-speed all the time. So sooner or later you will need to replace the fuel pump resistor. Available here.

Applicable to '97-'00 GTP with L67 Series II 3800
snovotny0303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovotny0303
WOW !! What great information ! I've been chasing this problem for the last 3 days ! Your information couldn't have been better or clearer. Thanks ! Now I can get some sleep ! Just one question. How long can you run the pump in high speed ? Is this a 10 - 20 mile workaround or can it somewhat safely run at high speed for a few hundred miles ? Just wondering....

Thanks again !!!
You're welcome. I see no problems with running with the resistor bypassed for a few hundred miles. I had mine bypassed for a few weeks until the part arrived from special order. Good luck.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
josh10184
AF Newbie

thank you guys so much this car has been broke for over 2 months. I put a new pump in it last night and then i found this page this morning after it wasnt fixed. The dealership never even said this could have been a problem and no mechanic i talked to knew about this. You guys have no idea how pissed i was at this car. THANK YOU SOO MUCH
josh10184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
jclarknh
AF Newbie

Thank you for the help guys! i just had my car in the shop, and they told me it was gonna cost 900 bucks to replace the fuel pump. I went down there and bent out the resistor a the car started right up! I cant thank you guys enought you saved my ass.
jclarknh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad we could be of help and welcome to AF.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 06-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
beezsmooth
AF Newbie

Man I cant thank you enough for this info! Very well laid out! I have a 99' GTP w/175,000mles! Still runs great! Heres one thing as an additional symptom... This happened to me EVERYTIME my car would get wet...Usually wait/ dry out and then be OK. Last time it happened it wasnt OK later. As I was sitting around waiting for someone to pick me up, I pulled up AF on my phone. Found this tip & needless to say I no longer needed a ride! Worked great and new part is on order. Relay was easy to find and easy to bend tab! Also while poking through I found the "surgeing" clip, refering to the TPS or trans service. Checked TPS w/DVOM and as mentioned in the clip my readings were sketchy! Replaced- NO MORE CHUG/SURGE!! Thanks guys I was so happy I had to join just to tell yo thanks!
beezsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
dehthnotez
AF Newbie

This says 97-00 but on my 2000 fuse panel it says 14 is the fuel pump and 15 is for the cruise control. Just wondering if it is really 15 that needs the prong bent or if it is suppose to be 14.

/hopes this old post will get a response.
dehthnotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehthnotez View Post
This says 97-00 but on my 2000 fuse panel it says 14 is the fuel pump and 15 is for the cruise control. Just wondering if it is really 15 that needs the prong bent or if it is suppose to be 14.

/hopes this old post will get a response.
Welcome to AF.

What model Grand Prix is this? The procedure is only applicable to GTPs years 97 and up to 00. If you do not have the fuel pump high speed relay then the procedure is not applicable. Also in the 00 year GM made production changes so depending on your VIN not applicable even though it is a 00.

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 12-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
dehthnotez
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNaylor View Post
Welcome to AF.

What model Grand Prix is this? The procedure is only applicable to GTPs years 97 and up to 00. If you do not have the fuel pump high speed relay then the procedure is not applicable. Also in the 00 year GM made production changes so depending on your VIN not applicable even though it is a 00.
It is the 2000 GTP 2 door. It is my sons car and is dead in front of my house. Changed the fuel filter as it is cheap to do. At the check valve there is no pressure in the fuel line. I turned it over with the hose off the filter it did not pump any fuel. I do here a click or clunk in the gas tank when I turn it over suggesting it is getting power into the pump.

I almost went and bought a pump but do not really want to put the $230 + tax down without checking the resistor after reading around the net.

Thanks for the quick response.
dehthnotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehthnotez View Post
It is the 2000 GTP 2 door. It is my sons car and is dead in front of my house. Changed the fuel filter as it is cheap to do. At the check valve there is no pressure in the fuel line. I turned it over with the hose off the filter it did not pump any fuel. I do here a click or clunk in the gas tank when I turn it over suggesting it is getting power into the pump.

I almost went and bought a pump but do not really want to put the $230 + tax down without checking the resistor after reading around the net.

Thanks for the quick response.
Your issue and post has been moved. See link below.

Click here

Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
Old 05-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #15
ANM custom
AF Newbie

1997 Grand Prix GTP...Quick history, had to repair/replace the coupler on the supercharger so all related work (fuel,vacuum lines, Injectors etc were removed/replaced, some broken vacuum lines were broke and repaired, went to start it up and I am getting the symptoms described here for the resistor failure, runs for a few seconds then fuel pressure drops and it dies, did all the described tests and it still dies so I am assuming its not the resistor.
Direct wired the fuel pump (at sending tank) and it runs perfectly, also jumper/bypassed relays (#30 to 87a on speed relay 15) and (#30 to #87 on fuel pump relay 14) runs fine. Test at tank shows voltage when key comes on then none after it starts (pcm sends signal to speed relay), also if I leave the pump relay in and bypass the speed relay (#30 to 87A) it will stay running. I also tried to bypass the resistor all together by unplugging it and jumping across the connector terminals and it still dies.

Pretty frustrating at this point....Any Ideas ??
ANM custom is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix > Tips and Maintenance