Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
FAQ's regarding the Impreza

Last edited by LjasonL; 11-04-2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #2
LjasonL
Some Guy

What is my model code?

1993-2001:
GC - Sedan
GM - Coupe
GF - Wagon

2002+:
GD - Sedan
GG - Wagon

Applied Model Codes:
8 - 2.0L 93-00 WRX
A - 2.0L 01+ WRX
B - 2.0L 02+ WRX STi
C - 2.2L N/A
E - 2.5L N/A Impreza
6 - 2.5L N/A Legacy
9 - 2.5L XT
F - 2.5L STi
9 - 3.0L H6

VIN Chassis Codes:
2 - 1.8L
2 - 2.0L
4 - 2.2L
6 - 2.5L N/A and XT
7 - 2.5L STi
8 - 3.0L H6
3 - 3.3L H6

So my 2.5TS's model code would be GGE, and the Vin code would be GG6. GG6 is the one you would commonly hear referred to.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
LjasonL
Some Guy

How many 2.5RS's did they make?

98 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 995
98 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 685
Total for 1998 - 1,680 units

99 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 1,795
99 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 345
Total for 1999 - 2,140 units

00 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 2,375
00 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 535
00 Impreza RS Sedan 5-speed - 1,636
00 Impreza RS Sedan automatic - 1,574
Total for 2000 - 6,120 units

01 Impreza RS Coupe 5-speed - 1,701
01 Impreza RS Coupe automatic - 324
01 Impreza RS Sedan 5-speed - 1,057
01 Impreza RS Sedan automatic - 1,011
Total for 2001 - 4,093 units

Total - 14,033

I don't have the production info for the 02-03's, and the 04+'s are still in production.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #4
LjasonL
Some Guy

Is the Impreza reliable?

Consumer Reports lists the Impreza in its "good bets", which are cars with above average reliablility. The complete list is here - http://autos.yahoo.com/consumerrepor...orst_used.html

If you would like to read how some of us owners feel about the reliability of our cars, check these threads

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...light=reliable
Old 01-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #5
LjasonL
Some Guy

Does the WRX/Impreza have a "glass tranny"?

Short answer - no. Most transmission failures you hear about were caused by improper driving techniques. In a 2wd car, excess force pushed through the driveline is released by spinning the tires. An AWD won't spin the tires nearly as easily, so that force is distributed inside the driveline, on the clutch and gears. This is what leads to failure. This is a problem in ANY AWD car, not just the Impreza. So a totally stock WRX can destroy the transmission pretty quickly if you're always beating on it and being rough. At the same time, there are many people who have gone deep into the 12's and even 11's on the stock transmission with no problems because they know how to drive it right.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:20 PM   #6
LjasonL
Some Guy

Why is my car hard to shift into 1st/reverse?

It's not a problem with your car, just an inherent design characteristic of the Subaru 5 speed transmission. It's just part of what gives our cars their unique character. The synchros aren't quite able to keep up at times, especially when downshifting into 1st gear from a roll. If you hold the clutch in and put light pressure on the gear stick, it'll go in gear after a few seconds. Or you can learn to double clutch and not have to wait. It was discussed a little more in this thread - http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ghlight=tranny

For the reverse gear, it's hard to get in because it's a straight cut gear, and if the teeth aren't lined up it simply won't go in. If you're having problems getting it in, try letting up on the clutch pedal a little, not enough to actually make the car move, but once it's out a little it should rotate the gears and line up so you can shift into reverse. If that doesn't work, it's "stuck" and you can try shifting into 1st then going back into reverse. It's not as big a deal as it sounds once you get used to it. I don't even think about it anymore.

Last edited by ldelaysionl; 01-15-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
LjasonL
Some Guy

Which engines were available?

EJ18 - 1.8 liter available in the Impreza from 93-97, it was 1820cc, 110hp and 120ft/lbs, 9.0:1 compression ratio
EJ22 Phase 1 - 2.2 liter available in the Impreza from 95-98, it was 2212cc, 135hp and 140ft/lbs, 9.0:1 compression ratio
EJ22 Phase 2 - 2.2 liter available in the Impreza from 99-01, it was 2212cc, 142hp and 149ft/lbs
EJ25 Phase 1 - 2.5 liter DOHC available in the Impreza from 98-99, it was 2457cc, 165hp and 162ft/lbs, 9.7:1 compression ratio
EJ25 Phase 2 - 2.5 liter SOHC available in the Impreza from 99 and above, it was 2457cc, 165hp and 167ft/lbs, 10.0:1 compression ratio (9.7:1 compression ratio in '99)
EJ20 - 2.0 liter DOHC Turbo available in the Impreza WRX from 02 and above, it was 1998cc, 227hp and 217ft/lbs, 8.0:1 compression ratio
EJ257 - 2.5 liter DOHC Turbo available in the Impreza WRX STi from 04 and above, 300hp and 300ft/lbs , 8.6:1 (?) compression ratio

EJ22T - 2.2 liter Turbo available in the Legacy Turbo from 92-94, it was 2212cc, 160hp and 181ft/lbs, 9.0:1 compression ratio - though not available in the Impreza, a popular swap for those who can't afford a WRX swap.

Last edited by ldelaysionl; 04-11-2004 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
LjasonL
Some Guy

What engines can I swap into my Impreza?

Any Impreza can accept an engine from any other Impreza or EJ-series Subaru with varying degrees of difficulty. For the most part, they're direct bolt ins with some wiring. If swapping a turbo engine into an N/A car, the crossmembers are different, and you will need the turbo crossmember too for a true bolt in swap.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #9
LjasonL
Some Guy

What about the transmission?

All EJ series engines use the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing. Some use more bolts than others, but the pattern is the same. This means you can bolt up the transmission from any Subaru with an EJ-series engine to any other Subaru with an EJ-series engine. The only difficulty is the turbo cars use a pull type clutch, and the N/A cars use a push type clutch, so you have to make sure you use the right clutch and flywheel assembly
Old 01-15-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
LjasonL
Some Guy

Can I change my FWD Impreza to AWD?

Yes, will need a good deal of parts to do this. Here is the list as seen here

Q: "I have a FWD Subaru, can I convert it to AWD?"
A: As previously stated, Subarus are very interchangeable. If your car came with an EJ series engine, then any other engine components from an EJ series engine will drop into your chassis. Most of the time, you can't slowly convert to AWD; many of the components require the removal and/or installation of other components to work.

Q: "What components are needed to convert a FWD Subaru to AWD? Also read as 'Transmission swap technicalities'"
A: A new transmission will be required. Along with the new transmission comes the front diff, center diff, and tailshaft. You must also get the corresponding driveline for the transmission (side note here, if you are merely swapping one AWD transmission for another the MT typically shares one driveline between all other MTs and the ATs share another driveline; the STi 6-speed uses an AT driveline). There are many rear diff options, and any of them can be used as long as the final drive matches the final drive of the rear diff of the donor car the transmission came from. Front axles should be interchangeable, but newer axles are thicker. CV strength has remained the same and are not a weak point. Rear open diffs can be found on most Subaru models. Rear LSD s came on some Legacy Turbos, Some SVXs, 2000-2001 2.5RSs, and 2002+ WRXs. While final drive ratios vary, the axle splines do not. Your diff choice governs which rear axles are to be used. You will either need rear axles from an open diff Legacy or GC/GF/GM Impreza for an open diff or rear LSD axles from a 2000-2001 Impreza 2.5RS (ask for axles from 05/2000+ to be safe) for a rear LSD. If you are converting from AT to MT or viceversa, you will need the corresponding ECU since the AT ECU expects a TCU signal. You can spoof it as some have done.

"What else is needed?" Along with the basic driveline components, you are going to need most of the rear suspension and mounts from the transmission back. This includes the transmission crossmember, rear diff crossmember (and all in between), AWD gastank with driveline hump, struts and springs, AWD knuckles, a plethora of bushings, with the possibility of lateral links, swaybar, and trailing arms also being needed. Your best bet is to find an entire donor car that can be stripped. If that is not an option, you will be, as beachbum has said, 'nickle-and-dimed to death'.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
LjasonL
Some Guy

Should I lower my Impreza/WRX?

That's up to you. There are a lot of rumors about how you "shouldn't" lower an Impreza because the factory has some magic perfect suspension settings and you'll just make it handle worse. This is not true. Lowering an Impreza has the same benefits as lowering any other car. Lower center of gravity and less body roll, which means better handling. Plus, it just looks cool The thing you need to remember when lowering an Impreza or ANY car, is don't go TOO low and don't go TOO stiff. Any suspension requires a certain amount of suspension travel to work right, and if it's too stiff it will bounce around too much to handle well. Your best bet is to go with a coilover spring and strut combination, Tein makes kits for the Impreza at reasonable prices. If you can't afford a full coilover setup, springs alone can offer some benefit, as long as they're designed right. The best way to make sure of that is to simply buy from a reputable manufacturer that know's what they're doing, like Tein or Whiteline for example. Stay away from the cheap "coilover conversion kits" that are just a sleeve that drops over the stock strut.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #12
LjasonL
Some Guy

How do I actually go about lowering the car?

I wrote a step by step on here a while back to tell a user how to install the "coilover conversion kit" on his Impreza. Although I don't recommend installing those types of kits, the same instructions can be used to install regular springs, struts, or a "real" coilover setup.

Click here for step-by-step
Old 01-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #13
LjasonL
Some Guy

How do I make my Impreza handle well?

Click here for a good and easily understandable writeup on handling for cars in general

The stock Impreza seems to have a problem with understeer, so the 1st thing to do should be eliminate that. The easiest way is a new rear sway bar. I recommend an adjustable one so you can "dial it in" to suit your driving style and preferences, since what works for one person may not work for another. Personally I have a 24mm adjustable rear sway from Whiteline I got for about $150 shipped, and it's the best mod I've done to my car for the money.

Last edited by ldelaysionl; 07-12-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:06 PM   #14
LjasonL
Some Guy

Is there such a thing as a twin-turbo WRX?

From the factory, no. There IS a factory twin-turbo Legacy, however. The TT Legacy engine has been successfully swapped into a number of other Subaru models, including Imprezas, and could easily be swapped into a WRX if it hasn't been done already. There are also twin-turbo kits available for the WRX and other Imprezas.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:10 PM   #15
LjasonL
Some Guy

Can I turbocharge my Impreza?

Yes, there are a few different ways to go about doing this. 1st is to simply swap in a motor from a factory turbo Subaru. 2nd, there are a good deal of turbo kits available for the Impreza. www.forcedairtech.com is one of the companies that makes them, there are a good deal of other companies you can find by searching around. 3rd is you could build a custom kit. This is the most difficult and complicated way, but can also be one of the cheapest, and you get to use exactly which parts you want. This is the route I'm taking

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Impreza/9-2x/Outback Sport