Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #1
GilroyRacing
AF Newbie

1995 Eagle Talon ESI Automatic Trans problem

Hi,
I just picked up a 1995 eagle talon ESI 2.0 non turbo with an automatic for my girlfriend.

When I got the car it did not run or move so I had to trailer it home. After getting it home I quickly figured out the problems of why it wouldnt move.... For 1 it wouldnt start because of a loose battery cable, and it wouldnt move because it needed transmission fluid... I changed the transmission fluid with ATF+4 and installed a new trans filter.

After doing some work to it, we just now got tags on the car and started driving it.

The first few times that I drove it, it drove great.

I decided to take it to work a few days ago so I went out that morning to start it and let it warm up. I got in the car and started heading to work and it wouldnt shift out of 2nd gear.

I pulled over turned the car off, started it back up, took off again and then it shifted fine.

I have looked arounf on the internet and found out that the car is going into limp mode.... but why??

The CEL has never came on..

The car has gone into limp node quite a few times, sometimes I can just cut the car off and it will clear itself up and sometimes like tonight I can cut it off start it back up...take off and it still wont shift out of 2nd...

What should I do? I know these cars have trans problems, but has anyone else experianced a problem like mine?/?

Sorry for the long post...

thanks for any and all help,

Justin
GilroyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: 1995 Eagle Talon ESI Automatic Trans problem

Welcome to AF. Thank you for the detailed description of your problem.

A lot of times if the tranny itself is in good shape, the problem is the TCU (tranny computer). Might want to find another one of those and swap it out and see if the problem persists.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
GilroyRacing
AF Newbie

Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick response.

Where is the TCU located on a 1995 Talon?

I read on the internet about the TCU failures. I have seen where some people say that the TCU is under the dash and I have seen where they said it is under the hood on the drivers side by the battery.

One last thing, when looking for a TCU is there different TCUs or are they all the same. Obviously I am going to try and find one from a 95 Talon but are there different TCUs that had a more agressive tune from the factory? Or that were better from the factory??

Is there a list of differernt model TCUs??

Thanks again for your help and I am looking forward for your answer. Thanks
GilroyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

I just did a little looking around online and it looks as though its mounted in the center behind the radio, right next to the ECU if you already know where it is located. Hope that helps ya find it.
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilroyRacing
Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick response.

Where is the TCU located on a 1995 Talon?

I read on the internet about the TCU failures. I have seen where some people say that the TCU is under the dash and I have seen where they said it is under the hood on the drivers side by the battery.

One last thing, when looking for a TCU is there different TCUs or are they all the same. Obviously I am going to try and find one from a 95 Talon but are there different TCUs that had a more agressive tune from the factory? Or that were better from the factory??

Is there a list of differernt model TCUs??

Thanks again for your help and I am looking forward for your answer. Thanks
From what I've seen it's about 50/50 on the location of the TCU. Some are in the dash behind the radio (all turbo models are BTW) and some are next to the ECU in the engine bay on the drivers side right in front of the battery. My 95 has a bracket for where the TCU would go if it was an automatic, so I would say the 95s are there.

I don't think there is a difference between years on TCU, but the electrical is different between the 95 and the 96-99 from what I've seen. So I would say just stick with a 95 TCU just to play safe.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 08-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
ecarlsonunoh
AF Newbie

my esi is haveing the same exact problem

did you fix yours and how did you

i need help with this thanks for any
ecarlsonunoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

The original poster hasn't posted here in over a year, and probably won't answer back.

Best bet is to find a replacement TCU for your year and swap it out and see if the problem continues.

75 Monte Carlo

Old 08-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
Tony Silva
AF Regular

The problem lies within the trans computer. It is bolted to the floor horizontally behind the radio, the electronic components inside the tcu are "upside down" and with age the chemicals leak out of the components damaging the circuit board. A rebuilt tcu costs about 800 bollars, It is much cheaper to convert to manual. ............I know this is an old post but some one out there may find this info helpful.
Tony Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Tony Silva
AF Regular

I mean dollars
Old 08-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Im sure you could buy a used TCU much cheaper than 800.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarlsonunoh View Post
my esi is haveing the same exact problem

did you fix yours and how did you

i need help with this thanks for any
I deal in salvage parts and I may have the correct TCU on the shelf for you if you decide that you want to go that route. Send me a PM if interested.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #12
Tony Silva
AF Regular

Yes, correct, you can pick up a used TCU for much...MUCH, cheaper than 800 dollars, however, It will still be a used TCU....like...15 years old used.... and it will have the same problem or it will develop the same problem...but for 800 dollars, you could buy a rebuilt unit and not have any worries...I forget the name of the company that does the repair service, but maybe you can google it to find out. There are lots of prices out there ..200...300...400 dollars and so on, and so on. But be careful, those prices are for USED or REPAIRED units. The company I am talking about COMPLETELY removes and replaces EVERY electronic piece soldered to the computer board. How ever, you could swap over to a 5 speed for much less. If you do the swap yourself it may only cots a few hundred dollars.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
RIZZNO5858
AF Newbie

Just bought a 1995 Talon ESI with auto and non turbo. Previous owner said it had transmission issues but I never encountered any for a long time, until I did the fuel pump and disconnected the battery. With the car hooked back up I checked for code with the ODB reader and it was clear of any codes. Took it out for a drive while still cool and it wasn't shifting at all, must be something to do with electrical as nothing changed except the battery disconnected. Anyone find a new remedy yet as I feel this problem is 30 years old now?!?!?
RIZZNO5858 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain