Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
ashbf
AF Newbie

Which to keep, Lesabre or Century

Hi everyone,

I have a slightly convoluted question. I currently have an 01 Lesabre with 180,000 miles and an 02 Century with 102,000. I am completely in love with my Lesabre, not so much the Century, my grandmother gave it to me a few months ago when she stopped driving. I'm trying to decide which is the best one to sell. I'm not entirely sure how many more miles I can get out of the Lesabre, but if it's quite a lot, I'm very tempted to sell the Century. The Lesabre needs rear tires and shocks, and the shop told me today that'll be $300. It also needs whatever controls the gas gauge and the tire pressure warning, though I've lived with those for over a year and can put up with indefinitely. The Century needs a new thermostat and a new audio system/cd player/what have you(it has none currently). I know I'll get more for the Century and I could put some of that away for the Lesabre for future repairs, but I'm just not sure at this point which option is the smartest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ashbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Which to keep, Lesabre or Century

Two totally different rides and sizes.......

At 180K, it's all about how the vehicle was maintained(powertrain)......while it could go a lot longer, it could also crap out on you next week....

Do both vehicles come from the same area? For example, big difference in a car from the north east, versus the south, rust-wise underneath....

Century needs a thermostat? More likely a lower intake......have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing......

If mileage was equal, the LeSabre is a no brainer......

If the Century only needs a thermostat/radio, I would be leaning in that direction...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
ashbf
AF Newbie

Before I bought the Lesabre(two years ago) I think it was owned mostly by an older couple and kept in quite good shape. I've put probably between 15 or 20,000 miles on it since I got it, mainly highway, and I probably haven't been as fastidious as I could've been with taking care of it but I haven't been terrible. I'm assuming the tranny will go out before the engine, is that a safe assumption? Both cars are from North Dakota, and the shop that looked at the Century didn't say anything about a lower intake, just the thermostat. Whichever it was it made the check engine light come on. Would a lower intake cost more to fix? I've got someone interested in buying the Century, he offered $3,000, because it needs a couple things done(one headlight needs to be fixed, and apparently the window switch too). I'm not sure if with those things $3,000 is a fair offer? I think it will probably be easier to sell the Century, and I could keep that $3,000 to replace the transmission whenever it goes out. Although whenever it goes out, depending on how many more miles the engine is likely to get, it might make more sense at the time to just put that money toward another car. With the Lesabre needing the gas gauge, whatever's throwing the tire pressure code, rear tires and shocks, maybe a couple other little things I may not know about, I'm not sure what it would go for or who would want it.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
ashbf
AF Newbie

Well, the guy who's interested had a better look and says it's the lower intake, and now he's offering 2,500. He also said for the Lesabre, there's a guy who does transmissions for $1200, he said he's had him do two cars before and it was great. So I'm thinking I could get the transmission replaced with half of what I'll get for the Century, but that's kind of dependent on how long I can expect the engine to last. Although I suppose if I'm only gonna be putting about $1500 into the car, if I get even a few more years out of it that's not too bad. In a Lesabre that's been pretty decently maintained is it reasonable to expect it to go to about 250,000?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
happydog500
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbf View Post
He also said for the Lesabre, there's a guy who does transmissions for $1200, he said he's had him do two cars before and it was great.
Wow!!! $1,200 for a trans job? Cheapest I can find is $3,000 in my area. It would cost $1,200 to put in a used one here.

Chris.
Used 111,000 Motor, All New Gaskets
Used 102,000 Transmission - SOLD
New Balance 662
Trek 8000
happydog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > General Discussion