Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
ktl4974
AF Newbie

Throttle Position Sensor/Throttle Body

2004 Maxima SE, 48K miles.

A SES light came on and it stalled out a few minutes after startup, restarted ok and no issues since. Went to Autozone, pulled code P2135 (TPS Sensor) and took it to dealer (Nooooo!) They say it is the EFI Throttle Chamber i.e. Throttle Body Unit.

Does this sound correct? Anyone had to change out that could give me advice on R&R. Dealer wants 350 for reman. part/labor I found salvage complete unit for 85. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ktl4974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: Throttle Position Sensor/Throttle Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktl4974 View Post
--- and no issues since. ...
Sounds like intermittent contact problem. If no issues, keep on driving ... and maybe go through contacts.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
ktl4974
AF Newbie

Had throttle body replaced with a remanufactured part last week and now I get an SES light on. Noticed a high idle over the weekend and then the light. AZ scanned and it was a high rpm/idle code. I reset by disconnecting neg bat cable for 5 min but did not clear light. Any suggestions??
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Use CRC electronic cleaner for connections, the throttle body probably needed a good cleaning.

A 2004 with 48K miles isn't very many miles.

Picture a Briggs & Stratton engine setting all winter long, and expecting no problems in the spring.
It's one cylinder + 4 strokes to get it right! ''fire''
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #5
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Had throttle body replaced with a remanufactured part last week and now I get an SES light on. Noticed a high idle over the weekend and then the light. AZ scanned and it was a high rpm/idle code. I reset by disconnecting neg bat cable for 5 min but did not clear light. Any suggestions??
LOL. As I said. Read the link given.

= read em...

Typically ECU resets after batt off (blckout) after 30min or more. That clears all accumulated data used in engine ctrl, wont hurt too much.

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 11-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
ktl4974
AF Newbie

Tried the neg. cable trick for at least 45 min but SES light still on and high rpm (1100-1500) at idle and in gear. Prob have to take back to shop to have them check out if no further advice from you guys! Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Tried the neg. cable trick for at least 45 min but SES light still on and high rpm (1100-1500) at idle and in gear. Prob have to take back to shop to have them check out if no further advice from you guys! Any ideas?
Smbdy has now created a new steady problem which wont go away by pulling batt cable...

Quote:
"Had throttle body replaced with a remanufactured part last week and now..."
1 Air leak. Can be verified for example by pouring water on suspect seal; will temporarily block the leak, idle drops. Keep water off from electronics. (Gas is being injected always based on 'how much air gets in.' Excess air, more gas, revs higher...)

2 Throttle/wire zero adjustment not done.

3 The spare part is defective. Never swap b/c warn light blip - $tealerships love your wallet.

Check/correct zero pos/leak, possibly put the original TB back, clean ALL contacts as explained on the web page below, be happy. I guess shop dropped the ball, sht happens
...if reason 1or2, they must repair it free, should not be an issue.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
ktl4974
AF Newbie

Thanks for the actual advice, that is what these forums are all about.

As for the "links", I'll give them a test drive. Thanks again for the useful info and will post back the final solution, even if it is contact cleaner, elbow grease, dielectric whatever, and ball bearings.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
ktl4974
AF Newbie

well, i finally gave in and took to dealership. $75 later and an hour of my time and the mechanic fixed the issue. He said he had to "trick" the ecu. well worth the money.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35