Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #1
68 montego
AF Newbie

magnasteer

I heard that the Magnasteer option on the Park Ave Ultra is adjustable through a dealer computer. Is this true? If so, what do the adjustments do? Thanks!
68 montego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: magnasteer

Yes that is true, there are three settings: factory, more firm and less firm. Just follow the Tech 2 scan tool prompts and that’s all there is to it.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
68 montego
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Which setting would be closest to the feel of a standard Park Avenue? I had a 97 PA with the "soft ride" and this Ultra is JUST TOO harsh and sporty for me. With the Magnasteer, I feel like I am always correcting the steering. Every little road nuance, and the car goes that direction. I have had this gorgeous car for two week, $850 worth of new tires, and I'm ready to send it up the road and go back to a standard PA.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

The factory setting is the middle of the road option, less firm would be softer to the touch, more firm would be your only choice. What year PA Ultra do you have, & how many miles? Most come with Grand Touring Suspension (GTS) and you have to learn how to drive them. The steering wheel takes very little movement to correct, so I usually drive with 1-finger most of the time.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
68 montego
AF Newbie

Hi Z - My Ultra is an 03 with only 48K miles. It has been meticulously taken care of. I spoke iwth the previuous owner before buying. It does have the GTS and I am having an awful time with it. Can't get it to stop vibrating and drifting. Whe you drive it, you can indeed steer with one finger but you are constantly having to correct it. My old PA with 136K miles practically drove itself. You could let go of the wheel and it tracked true as a bird flies. What did you mean you have to "learn to drive" with the GTS? I have to admit - I am extremely frustrated and disappointed with this car, and it is supposed to be one of the best cars on the market at the time. This was a $42,000 car in o3!!! I do appreciate your help and opinions, Z. You have helped me before with my other PA and the upper plenum! Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Sorry for the delay getting back to you, but my IP service & phone service was going through an upgrade to fiber optics and evidently they forgot to hook up my line. I have been without service since last Friday. If they call this the NEW AT&T, what happened to the old? Occasionally, I have a few minutes at work to check emails & look around AF, but not much time to respond.

Anyway, the 03 Ultra comes with 17” wheels and 235/55ZR17 tires, so therefore the width & profile of the tire will make the car have a tendency to follow grooves or low sections of the road. The GTS package on the Park Avenue, is a combination of special front and rear struts, stabilizer bars, fast-ratio power steering and special tires. All of this makes your car handle & ride more on the sporty side, rather than on the plush (floating) side of the spectrum. You might want to discuss the steering issue with a dealer service manager to see if he/she thinks changing the magnasteer setting would help. Sorry, but without driving the car that is about all we can offer.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #7
68 montego
AF Newbie

The realign has helped some with the steering on this. It doesn't seem to wander quite as much as it did. Now we have to get rid of the vibration. UGHHHH! Like you said, it's probably the 17" tires, and the GTS that made it "feel" every high and low point in the road. I tell you...............for a $42,000 it really is a disappointment - especially after having 3 other Park Aves!! Would NOT buy another Ultra!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue