Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
sofpan
AF Newbie

Why are Americans OK with Hyundai and Kia?

I thought Americans are strict to imitations. I know some computer companies and fashion brands claimed to the imitations made in other countries especially in China and Korea.
However, Hyundai and Kia are widely accepted by Americans. It is obvious that the exterior designs of some of their cars are extremely similar to the those of competitors.
Even the eblem of Hyundai is pretty close to those of Honda. Hyundai's emblem is a Honda's streched.
Imagine if you were the founder of company, wouldn't you avoid such name and logo similar to former competitor? So it must be convinced criminal. In my college or school, I will be punished if I violate the academic integrity. Why are they not punished from the industry and why are they accepted by American people? No conscience? Interim cost problem is more important? Or are they not just realized the copying issue?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
sofpan
AF Newbie

Re: Why are Americans OK with Hyundai and Kia?

Hyundai is not a prestigius brand anywhere in the world. Hyundai's cars have low prestige and respect from the market, that's why the re-sale value is very low, even nowadays.
So, I can understand: we can't expect Koreans to spend billions on design.
I mean that's like asking the Chinese to stop buying pirated DVD's.
Yes, Hyundai makes cheap cars that look like other, better cars. It is obvious that Hyundai copies. But because of this practic, Hyundai achieves big sales. But big sales is not shown prestige.

Last edited by sofpan; 04-22-2009 at 05:32 AM.
sofpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #3
DSHornet
AF Newbie

What's your problem?? I might make a mistake by answering you, but here's my reply.

The Hyundai logo: How much can a letter, such as an H, be stylized before it's hard to recognize? I can easily tell the difference between a Honda "H" and a Hyundai "H". So can you. So can everybody else.

Popularity of Kias and Hyundais: One word. VALUE. My wife bought an '07 Tuscon Limited, loaded with accessories, for about $7000 less than a comparable CR-V or RAV4, with a warranty that is better than either. It's lunacy to waste money simply for the sake of brand loyalty.

Styling: Many cars look similar because there isn't much room to look different when fuel consumption standards dictate the overall shape of a vehicle. They all look like a baked potato because they have to, for the shape of a low drag coefficient. By the way, you will easily tell the difference between my '01 Santa Fe and everything else on the road because it does look different.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but don't attack others for their choices of vehicles. You can buy what you want to buy for personal transportation. I will do the same.

Give it a rest.

Favorite saying:
"One need never apologize for exercising the Golden Rule"

DSHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 AM   #4
sofpan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHornet View Post
The Hyundai logo: How much can a letter, such as an H, be stylized before it's hard to recognize? I can easily tell the difference between a Honda "H" and a Hyundai "H". So can you. So can everybody else.
You assume that everybody else who knows about cars can recognise the emblem. But many other people, mainly women, I believe can not recognise the difference. Those people can take a Hyundai for a Honda. The emblem is very similar.
I will also tell you this: why you can not find any other cars brand emblem that to be similar to another?
The only one I can find, is the Hyundai's emblem, that is similar to Hondas. Can you find for me another examble of a car maker, that copied its emblem from another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHornet View Post
Styling: Many cars look similar because there isn't much room to look different when fuel consumption standards dictate the overall shape of a vehicle. They all look like a baked potato because they have to, for the shape of a low drag coefficient. By the way, you will easily tell the difference between my '01 Santa Fe and everything else on the road because it does look different.
Yes. You can find many cars that their design looks similar in general lines, because they follow the same basic design ideas. But this is different than make cars that be almost identical with others. That's the difference. That's copy. And a bad one...

Consumers seem not to realize that Hyundai Motors is not an innovative company. Hyundai Group very often copies the designs. For examble some days ago, I saw a OPEL Astra and a KIA ceed nearby. I was surprised that KIA ceed was a bad copy of OPEL Astra. And it's sure that Ceed is a copy of Astra because Astra is older and by far... much better.
Yes... the cars of Hyundai Group are cheap... but only this. Because those who buy for examble KIA ceed, are buying something that looks like OPEL Astra but it is worst.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

value and warranty are the 2 major things going for this company...
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
DSHornet
AF Newbie

Sofpan, so you insult women by suggesting they can't tell the difference between a Honda logo and a Hyundai logo? That's pretty low.

All car makers copy each others' styling, not only Hyundai/Kia. Often it's hard to tell what a car is until one can spot a badge somewhere on the vehicle.

Since you seem intent on insulting total strangers for what appeals to them, I suggest that you buy what you want and the rest of us will buy what we want. Try to get over the fact that you do not dictate to others what they should do based on your opinions. Your arrogance does not constitute a standard.

Favorite saying:

Old 04-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
sofpan
AF Newbie

To ricebike:
So, if I understood well, you accept that for Americans the important things are only value (when you buy the car, to be cheap) and warranty (to be big).
Then dude, I’m sorry that Americans reached such a low level, not to be bothered by the low quality, the lack of creativity and innovation. I’m sorry that American, as you say, prefer 2nd class products. Isn’t this an abjection? Americans used to buy 1st class products once upon a time…

To DSHornet:
Forst of all, I believe that every Cars’ Manufacturer copying from others. But ther must be a limit, if you want to be a ‘serious’ Manufacturer. You can copy a little something that is good, and then improve some points. That’s good for the manufacturer and the customer, because it leads to better products.
But Hyundai copies LOTS of other auto manufacturers. Hyundai doesn’t make improvements, doesn’t take a successful product and, change it a little and offer finally a better product to customers. Hyundai only copies and make something that looks like the copied car, and it is cheaper. Only that.
You want an examble: take the Sonata. Before the facelift, it looked a lot like an Accord. And I can give you many more.
You know something? Even the Chinese company BYD copies. If you Google that name you'll find out that one of the BYD cars, look like Lexus RX 350. They only changed front grille and are selling it as BYD S6. That's by far, the worst thing in car making I have ever seen. OK.
But do you want to compare Hyundai with BYD??? It’s not good for Hyundai’s prestige.
You must admit that Hyundai copies MORE – I think – than every other Manufacturer. That is no good.
Hyundai knows that that it’s prestige is very low, that’s why they “forgot” to put Hyundai’s emblem in front side of Genesis (look the pictures of Genesis in internet). They are ashamed of their emblem and they hide it, at least, at their luxurius car. And how can not be ashamed, when you have an emblem that is very similar to that of Honda? The one is fake, the other is genuine.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
DSHornet
AF Newbie

You attack others' point of view and preferences simply because you don't share that point of view or preference. That is improper and unjustified. You have no right to attack another's point of view simply because it differs from yours.

People will buy what they will buy and your attacks from an anonymous screen name will have nothing to do with their choices.

Your cheap shots are disgusting. Your insistence on the propriety of your own point of view over that of others suggests an attitude of superiority, which I find repulsive. I see no point in continuing this conversation.

Favorite saying:

Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
sofpan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSHornet
You attack others' point of view
I don't attack to other's view.
I respect, everybody’s view.
But respect and agreement is not the same.
I can respect your view, but I can disagree.
I discuss with arguments and logical points.
I have given examples: the KIA ceed, the Sonata, the Genesis.
Can you criticize one by one the above examples, I gave?
If you can, well, that is dialogue.
But you are talking by taking positions.
I don't take position. Of course I have some position but I challenge you: to check our (mine and yours) points of view.
So, dear DSHornet can you or anybody else criticize one by one the examples, I gave?
Not speaking generally. We must be specific.
Or else, I can assume that you try to avoid the truth.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
twospirits
Ex-Janitor of AF

To answer your threads title, its plain and simple. They produce good quality vehicles much lower in price than their competitors. They continue to bring forth ideas unheard of in the industry such as 10 year/100000 mile warranty, Price assurance etc that others have copied over.

As for the logo, anyone can see a difference in it and can tell if the vehicle is a Honda or a Hyundai. The Genesis logo and brand was supposed to be a separate brand much like Acura is Hondas, but it was decided not to make a separate brand at the last minute.
The Hyundai emblem/logo has changed over the years, but

As for Hyundai not being prestigious in the world, I tend to disagree. Hyundai has the world largest automobile manufacturing plant in the world. Hyundai is the second largest automaker in Asia after Toyota. Yes, even bigger than Honda. In fact over all as of 2007-8 the 10 biggest automakers in the world are as follows...
Toyota
General Motors
Volkswagen
Ford
Hyundai/Kia
Honda
Peugeot/Citroen
Nissan
Fiat
Renault

Honda started as a piston rings company back in 1937, then as a motorcycle company that started production of them in 1948.They did not start producing road cars until 1960 mainly for the Japanese market. The N600 was introduced to the US in 1969 as a 1970 model and was the first Honda automobile to be officially imported to the US.

Hyundai started later in 1947 and fully established in 1967.
Hyundai's' first model was the Cortina, released in cooperation with Ford in 1968.

Both have a long history. And both continue to make an impact. While its true that one cannot deny the problems Hyundai had in the past with the Excel in 1986, it learned from that joint venture and started to make their own engine parts and since then has either tied Honda in reliability or surpassed it.

Still, regardless of how many awards the company gets, be they be car of the year or customer satisfaction or reliability, there are those that will still see it as a bad company with a bad history. Nothing can change their view of the company.

I for one am glad I bought one back in 2002 and haven't regretted my decision.

TS out

TS

Members please read: Guidelines
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #11
sofpan
AF Newbie

Dear twospirits,

we say nearly the same thing but we have different points of view in the same matter.
I will explain what I mean:

I accept that Hyundai has sales success globally. That's whay has big factories with big capacities. But Hyundai's sales success owed only to the cheap cars that produces. Hyundai is the company that sells cars that seems good or decent at a low price.
What I am telling is that Hyundai is the only cars manufacturer from the big ones, that copies so much the others. Hyundai is in the club of Big (by Sales) but is not in the Big ones by the point of prestige.
This is true. That's why the resale value of Hyundais remain low, not even average, so many years.
And why Hyundai has no prestige? Because Hyundai itself, doesn't try to gain prestige. And how can a Car manufacturer gain prestige, when it copies the others so much?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #12
sunny123
Banned

Send a message via MSN to sunny123 Send a message via Skype™ to sunny123

I've learned a lot about HYUNDAI and KIA from you talking.thank you ,thanks for this forum
sunny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #13
aridranger03
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofpan View Post
I thought Americans are strict to imitations. I know some computer companies and fashion brands claimed to the imitations made in other countries especially in China and Korea.
However, Hyundai and Kia are widely accepted by Americans. It is obvious that the exterior designs of some of their cars are extremely similar to the those of competitors.
Even the eblem of Hyundai is pretty close to those of Honda. Hyundai's emblem is a Honda's streched.
Imagine if you were the founder of company, wouldn't you avoid such name and logo similar to former competitor? So it must be convinced criminal. In my college or school, I will be punished if I violate the academic integrity. Why are they not punished from the industry and why are they accepted by American people? No conscience? Interim cost problem is more important? Or are they not just realized the copying issue?
it's the warranty and price that sells them. most of my family has been loyal to honda and nissan for cars and have no trouble from the hondas.call me crazy but i would buy a honda if it didnt come with a new car warranty because it doesnt need it.my dad fell into the hyundai craze after first looking at them and trading our accord for a sonata.we never had a bit of trouble from the accord,but the electric motor in the seat adjuster went bad within two weeks of owning the sonata. hyundais probably need the warranty in the long run.my dad also had an accent hatchback for a while but i didnt like the rpms it turned (3500 at 70mph interstate speed)but i'm with you on the copying - when a car company updates the exterior of a model, hyundai steps in and creates a car similar to the previous generations of its competitors.i still believe hyundais are not built as good as others and even domestic cars are steeping back to par, thats why i will be considering a new fusion or impala for my first car
aridranger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Cat Fuzz
AF Enthusiast

My mother-in-law bought 2000 Accent brand new in 2000 and it's only needed a couple sensors and front brakes replaced this whole time along with normal maintenance stuff. I've seen many other vehicles that have more respected names have many, many more problems than that.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
MichaelMitchell
AF Newbie

Sofpan, you are right on with all of your posts about Hyundai. I have had all the very same thoughts you have had since I first saw a Hyundai. I am almost certain they made a commercial admitting that that they were trying to make one of their cars look like one of the BMW's. I have absolutely no respect for the company or anyone who chooses to buy their products. It is surprising that that the the automakers that they have taken the body styles from haven't done something to stop them. The only logical thought that I have on that is, that automakers such as BMW and and Lexus know that anyone who is buying a Hyundai did not put much thought into their purchase and would not be a customer of a quality car such as a theirs.
MichaelMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > General Discussion