Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Alfa Romeo > 147
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
BlairMunro
AF Newbie

Question Alfa 147 GTA

I am after a hot hatch and undeceided on which one to get. I have got it down to three, Focus RS, Golf R32 and the Alfa 147 GTA. I was going to get the R32 but having driven the GTA I am totally in love with the car. Having never owed a Alfa (always a Golf) I am worried about the reliability and residual value, are the horry stories true or a myth? Especially would like to hear from anyone who has a GTA.
BlairMunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 08:24 AM   #2
gone in 60 seconds
AF Newbie

147 Gta

Hello
I have a 147 GTA, infact now 1 week old after nearly 9 months of waiting. I had a similar choice at the budget of a GTA you can have the obvious comparison of a GTA and RS Focus or the R32. My decision was fairly heavily controlled by my heart the Alfa is just to good looking sounds to amazing and with to luxurious an interior to leave in favour of the other two. I drove all three, I found the focus skittish and a car I would of brought when I was 19-21 rather than my late 20's, nice car very quick but I got out feeling tired and that I d had a hard time, and the interior was far to Max Power mag for me. The R32 is a good car no denying it I liked the 4 wheel drive and very competent but I found the car sterile no real involvement. The Alfa demands passion, it is the first car I ve owned that I m equally happy going 50 mph or 100mph its just such a pleasure on all the senses to be in.

It is the grown up in the pack. There is so few in the country and such a demand that residules look good and recent articles in Autocar put the 147 family as the saviour of Alfa the car that has restored build and reliabilty confidence and teh former residule suicide.

I have owned Mitsubishi Evo 6's and BMW coupe and this car seems the perfect copromise between the two, beutiful well crafted and a pleasure to be in with real grunt. I don t find torque steer an issue it seems relatively under control with teh ASR on and the cars manners when thrown about seem good, allowing for its weight, I had a Clio Cup which was more precise but I think you have to take that with the sheer total of teh car your getting.

I think the figure for 0-60 on the car are quite conservative I haven t sat in it with a stop watch but I happily keep up with a mates Porsche C4S..the steering could have more feel, and the breaks be a bit sharper but thats picking its the best Alfa in years and a great GTA. Buy it and be different how many Golfs and Focuses are on the road, best comparison is the new M3, but at half the price!
gone in 60 seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
E46Phantom
AF Newbie

Re: Alfa 147 GTA

gO FOR THE GTA its a mixture of both but is better allrounder its 2 or 90 years in looks and performance. In second place i would get the RS.
E46Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
chuckm76
AF Newbie

Thumbs up 147 Gta

Not a doubt go for the Alfa, I test drove the R32 and the Focus RS before I decided on the GTA, along with tons of other cars TT's, Evo's, Impreza's and 350Z's. The Ford and the VW are both good cars but there're not special and when you're spending that money you want to feel special. They're all quick but how quick do you want to go and will you be doing it all the time?...no, is always the answer and out of all those cars along with the TT I guess when you're cruising around the Alfa is a great place to be. Try and opt for the sat nav and phone connect too as it's a joy to use just bully the dealer to get money off. I've yet to see another one on the road so you're not gonna see one everywhere you go (ahem Audi TT). Mines done 12500 miles now with no problems, rattles or squeeks. I love the car i just wish things didn't get older as I would keep it forever it's all the car you'll ever need and more.
chuckm76 is offline   Reply With Quote