Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
coupe1942
AF Newbie

Replacing the stock blower motor resistor on 1999 Nissan Quest

My controls would not work for my AC blower motor and I had to replace the blower motor resistor. I ran into problems in doing this, as the parts manual at many sites lists the part replacement as JA1204 for a 1999 Quest. This is an incorrect part for this model, as the correct part is actually JA1399. This JA1399 part is listed for 2000-2002 Quest models though. In looking at the photos for the part, there are many differences shown from the stock part you will be replacing. The circuit board looks more complex on the stock part and there is a dab of silicon or something on the circuit board that does not show on the replacement part in the manuals. In addition, the service manual photo of just where this blower motor resistor is virtually useless as to being an accurate drawing of the underdash area that the part is actually located in. Never the less, when the part is ordered at AutoZone or a parts house, the JA1399 part is an exact duplicate of the stock part. The two screws holding it in place are 5/16th in size, but I have heard someone also say that they are 8mm in size. I used a 5/16" nut driver to remove them, but it is easier to use a socket on a flexible extension, as the area is sort of tight to work in under the dash area. The seat won't go back far enough to allow you to squirm under there very easy, so expect to contrort your body a bit in replacing this part. Be sure to also have a good flashlight handy, as the area is dark under the dash and the AC box is a blackplastic. It does not take an hour of labor to remove or reinstall this part, as it is more in the neighborhood of only 5-10 minutes for each process. Have a flat blade screwdriver handy to remove the wiring harness from the part, as the snap-type holder for this is sort of difficult to open by use of your fingers or fingernails alone. The wiring plate will easily push back on to this part though. I have a really badly done video of this process, but it will at least give you an idea as to how it is done and how easy a DIY fix it is. Even the worst newbie can do this swap with minimal effort. Afterwards each control selection worked great on my AC and heater unit.

It is a bit confusing as to why the mess up on the part number, but don't blame the clerk when you find he got the wrong part in your order. It is a parts catalog mistake.

Here are some random photos:

This is the stock original part:

Top view of blower motor resistor by coupe1942, on Flickr

Here is the incorrect part JA1204

JA 1204 is the wrong part by coupe1942, on Flickr

Here is what the screwy differences look like in the catalog part for the J
A1399 part. Never the less, it is an exact copy of the stock part when it arrives in shipping:

JA1399 part by coupe1942, on Flickr

JA1399 blower motor resistor from AutoZone by coupe1942, on Flickr

If it loads, here is the poorly done video on this swap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGMR7pj9WE

Hope this info helps.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
brucemc777
AF Newbie

Re: Replacing the stock blower motor resistor on 1999 Nissan Quest

Thank-you! You saved me time and trouble. They STILL show the old resistor as the correct one, and it would have been a real pain if I went to the trouble of buying that one and finding it was wrong, then having to return and get the right one, if they could figure that out. I pulled the present one, found it was exactly the same as you showed (except obviously fried) and am getting the correct replacement.
brucemc777 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Quest | Presage | Serena