Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora > '97 - '03
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Boost91
AF Newbie

99 Jetta Throttle body issues

Ok so I work at a garage and a lady came in with a 99 Jetta she had had it to three shops and none of them could fix it, so she was pissed at the car by this time and I bought it for $300. All the problems started after the battery was replaced in the summer. When I gought the car it would default to 3rd gear and surge while driving. I know it had a P1565 in it and P1580 before i started working on it. The other shops had tried different throttle bodies and had no luck getting it fixed. After I bought it I was poking around on the internet and found a description of the same problems I had so I did the same to try to fix the problem. I removed the battery box and ran two new wires from the to grounds under the box straight to the battery. Fired it up, took it for a drive trans shifted and surge was gone. Trans still shifts abnormally and I keep getting the P1565 and P1580 I have cleaned the throttle body and tried the throttle adaptation using a Tech Force II scanner same as OTC Genisys. When running the adaptation the scanner shows the load at 74% so I looked at the MAF reading and it shows to be around 70-75 g/s not running. We had another VW come in so I tried the MAF off of it and no change in the readings. The car will not run with the MAF unplugged so with that and the other MAF not changeing anything I dont see that being the problem. Hopefully someone with some VW experiance can help me out if a Ford tech and im lost in Euro land.
Boost91 is offline   Reply With Quote