Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
lonilw
AF Newbie

Question car won't take gas!!

Has anyone else ever had this problem: I have a '99 elantra that constantly shuts off the gas pump regardless of whether I have a half a tank or a completely empty tank. I have been to multiple gas stations and have moved the pump around a million times to different angles etc. the tank spits out gas and it takes me forever to get a full tank when the pump automatically shuts off every 2 seconds. The hyundai dealer blew the lines out but it didn't help. Any advice??
lonilw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
peachferrari
AF Regular

Re: car won't take gas!!

Only time I've ever had a problem is with those pumps in Cali that you have to put in then push down to activate them. They're touchy and shut off sometimes, but I can usually get them to work ok. I can't think that it would be a problem with the car itself, unless your filler tube is clogged or something (the tube that goes from the tank to the outer gas cap)
Old 12-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
thisismylife
AF Newbie

try to put it in only half way is what i have to do
thisismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
froky36
AF Newbie

Question Re: car won't take gas!!

I have the same problem with my 2000 elantra. My car was taking gas fine until last summer. Now no matter where I take it or how I position the pump, it automatically kicks off the pump. It takes a loooong time to fill the entire tank since it only takes a little bit at a time. Even holding the pump half way out doesn't really help. Any suggestions???
froky36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
jan11950
AF Newbie

I'm having the EXACT same problem with my 2000 elantra. First, my "check engine" light comes on. As soon as I unscrew the gas cap, I get this suctioning, "whooshing" sound as if the gas tank was trying to breath. Then it will take gas in about 20 cent increments. I've taken it to the dealer 7 times in the last 3 months. They've "cleaned it out", replaced a part, and now, tomorrow, I'm taking it back yet again. It's good for about 1-2 weeks, then same problem!
jan11950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
fendermarshallvox
AF Newbie

could have a clogged canister vent or a clogged air filter for the canister or you could have a clogged canister, the vapour has to go somewhere when you fill your tank
fendermarshallvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
Datnip
AF Newbie

Ok looks like I have joined the crowd. My son was given a 2000 elantra and it too does not take gas. Has anyon found the real solution? The filler tube looks clear. This vapor canister I think is located behind the gas tank near the bumper, if so is it a comon part to find or filter to replace?
Dan
Datnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
Skitterball
AF Newbie

My car was having the same issue.

Every time at the pump I would have to keep the nozzle locked at the 2nd notch instead of full flow in order to keep it from tripping. I talked to a mech and had them replace the vapor outflow valve (I think was the name of it) and it worked like a charm.

Car takes gas real easy now
Skitterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #9
SvcMngr523
AF Newbie

There was one guy on here on the right track... Every vehicle has a vent system to release the fumes that would otherwise build pressure while you pump gas into the tank and also with changes in temperature and humidity. Some just have a vent tube that can collapse or a canister system that could clog or experience part failures such as valves. If the pressure cannot be released from the tank it will not take fuel. THE VENT SYSTEM MUST BE REPAIRED. In the meantime, pumping the fuel in at a very slow pace (like only squeezing the handle a little instead of all the way) will allow you to get at least a few gallons in if not fill it all the way...just slowly.
SvcMngr523 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Elantra | Avante