Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 06:12 PM   #16
Borko
AF Newbie

New here. I was just searching for "ZMW" in google, and got this discussion board.

Read all the comments, and here's my opinion, as a Serb.

First of all , believe me, im skeptical too. But seeing these plans, by Zastava(Motor Works...LOL) just fills my heart with joy.

You all probably know through what Zastava, city of Kragujevac, and the whole country(Serbia, Serbia&Montenegro, Yugoslavia...whatever you wish to call us) went through.

The hardest time was the 1999 NATO bombing, when practically the whole Zastava factory was destroyed. To see these "2005 models" on the ZMW website, just 6 years after all that crap....leaves me *speechless*.

If they really succeeded in rebuilding that plant and already designed and built and started selling new models...I have no doubts about whether they'll succeed or not in USA.

Succeding in the USA should not even be ZMWs priority in their first years of operation...they should market their cars in Eastern Europe, South AMerica Africa, Middle-East, Asia...and maybe, selling to ZMW/Yugo enthusiasts from USA/Canada, if ordered by these people.

Whatever happens, I'll be the first to buy the ZMW. I think my brother will want one, too.

Hehe...I think if only the million or so Serbs living in Canada & USA bought this thing, it would be enough

Last edited by Borko; 08-02-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Borko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #17
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

But hasn't Zastava already started selling vehicles in europe? I heard from somebody in I think in Greece who said he had either 2000, or 2001 Yugo, and that it looked almost the same as the Yugo he owned in the 80's, but was fuel injected and had an updated interior.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #18
Borko
AF Newbie

Yugo? Yugo's are still sold in a lot of places....streets of Cairo(Egypt) are full of them, for example.

Yugo was just one model...no big deal, Zastava makes a whole range of cars.

What im talking about are these new cars, ZMW's

Borko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 12:22 PM   #19
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

I see. I remember when I first heard about ZMW, that they were supposed to come out in 2003, and now they've set it back to 2005. I'm really hoping that Bricklin has gotten down what he needs to do for this to succeed this time. I'm glad that he pushed back the time, because last time when the Yugo was imported, they only had one year to test it and decide what changes they needed to make for it go on sale in the U.S. - which wasn't enough obviously. While I don't mind the cheap interior too much, others thought it was far too simple for american tastes, and the bumpers the car used were pretty flimsy too (they failed the 5mph tests) Not to mention the steering wheel angle of the early car (which they fixed in 1990, along with a few other minor problems, like the tiny gas tank) But since they learned alot from their last trip here, they should stand a better chance this time around.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 09:23 PM   #20
DragginWagon
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to DragginWagon Send a message via Yahoo to DragginWagon
I like the look of the Cabrio-II. And I like disposable cars. That's less than half the price of the truck I'm lookin to buy, an '04 Chevy Colorado Sport Ext. Cab. I'd like totally buy one. Visit the ZMW website here.

I don't care how mortgages you take out for it, nobody will ever have a 600whp Diamante.
DragginWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:31 AM   #21
kski
AF Newbie

Talking the New Yugo Beautiful!

You guys seem to be confused. You are forgetting that a little car named Honda was a peice of junk when it first came out, very unreliable and now one of the best realiable cars out there. The first Yugo didn't work out, although if you ask many actual owners of the cars they would say they were pretty reliable if you used the proper oil that was required. I saw photos of the proto-types of the new Yugos and they are very very nice! Beautiful cars! This time they might just get it right and blow Hyundai away for it's price range! Many car makers that are new don't do it right the first time. Look a Ford, it was built like junk with paint that wouldn't last a week off the dealer's lot practically, now it's much better. You'll be surprised when the new Yugo comes out. That's to all you Nay-Sayers!! Ha ha!!!
kski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #22
Hudson
Old Mod

Re: ZMW to come in 2005.

I've seen pictures of the new "ZMWs" as well. They're facelifted versions of the old Zastava products. I wouldn't call them "beautiful," but you're obviously allowed your own opinion on styling. I don't see how the ZMWs (if they ever get legalized for US sale) will sell well. The US market has just improved so much since 1985 (when Yugo first entered the US market) to the point that just being low-cost isn't enough.

Hyundai is low-cost, but it is also now considered to be high-quality (excellent ratings from JD Power) and well-backed (10-year warranties). The importer of ZMW is not financed well enough to compete on this level.

No matter how much Bricklin wants to find the "next Subaru," it's not going to be from Eastern Europe. It'll be in China.

Kski: I'm not a "nay-sayer"...I'm a well-informed automotive person. I'd be amazed if ZMW could sell 30,000 units in its first year in the US. Actually, I'd be amazed if it made it to its third year with bankruptcy protection of some sort.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #23
philsshon
AF Newbie

Re: ZMW to come in 2005.

i though zmw was supposed already be out? oh well, we don;t need more throw away cars.

http://www.allcarscentral.com
philsshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #24
Stevusc
AF Newbie

any updates
Stevusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:03 AM   #25
fiero355v8
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to fiero355v8
Smile Re: ZMW to come in 2005.

DragginWagon--- I tried the links you had listed to ZMW and none of them would open ....kept getting a page error. Could you send them again on the forum ? Or email them to me ? Thanks.
fiero355v8@yahoo.com
fiero355v8 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive News Desk