Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 911
911 All Variants, 930 964, 993, 996, 997, GT3, GT3 RS, Carrera, water cooled and air cooled.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #1
Audi1984
AF Newbie

911 subaru swap

I have done research on transplanting a ej20 or sti engine in a 72-86 porsche 911.I belive that this would be more reliable and much less for repair costs, not to mention more power, 280ish.I was woundering if anyone knows what is all involved, i have found a kit that include adapter plate, flywheel, pilot bearing (set) & bolts (dust shield if needed), so this should bolt the engine right up to the transaxle no problem...but i was woundering about wiring and placement of the radiator, or anyother problems you could think of.
Audi1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
rotary911porsche
AF Newbie

I put a turbo rotary in my 1975 911. It is a great swap. Also the Chevy 350 is an easy swap.
I would guess the Subaru would also be quite easy. Kennedy Engineered Products probably makes an adapter kit for the Subaru to Porsche transaxle (they made my adapter). You would have to fab up your own motor mounts.
There are as many ways to run the coolant lines to the radiator as there are converted cars. It is not that hard to do.
The hardest part of my conversion was the wiring. The better schematic you get, the easier it becomes but still be prepared to spend many hours studying the schematics.
Yahoo has a chat group specifically dedicated to water cooled swaps. Search Yahoo for Porschev.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

Re: 911 subaru swap

Why just not buy a chevy or a mazda or in this case a subaru?
just enjoy the Porsche.
I think that swaps from to cars where the engine does not belong is stupid/showy thing, especially in Porsche s. Plus I would rather open the hood and see PORSCHE and no chevy on the engine.
Do you even have a Porsche by the way? Your info says you drive a pontiac.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
81911targasc
AF Regular

both of you just ruined your cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
81911targasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:51 AM   #5
stlrj
AF Newbie

What's so bad about reliable, cost effective hp?

I'll tell you what was really stupid, when Mooney put a Porsche engine in their plane.
stlrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
Cbass
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cbass Send a message via AIM to Cbass Send a message via MSN to Cbass Send a message via Yahoo to Cbass
Don't molest a 911, find a 912. They're already a waste of a 911 body, so it can't really get any worse

Turbo rotary is a good swap for these cars, as is the EJ20. IT's not like it hasn't already been done,.

Connor - Porsche Nazi since 2001, VW defiler since 2004

This here's a Fabrication forum!
My lugnut requires more torque than your LS1 makes.
Cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
911tporsche
AF Newbie

maybe one of those renagade v-8 kits would be cool,but not for me my 69 911t is a matching#s car and i wouldn't dare!
911tporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
daveshapellSVT
Specvgini

wouldn't your first thought be a porsche motor from a newer 911? domestic engine in a high end german car seems retarded. just think the value of your car will drop 50%.
2002 Mustang GT ( 4:10 gears, X pipe, cat back, CAI, Under drive pulley set, Intake plenum, throttle body, Tuned) 13.7@101mph https://youtu.be/btMHZeoZTS0
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeu...PX2WMqty2z4aPw
2015 Jeep renegade trailhawk
2017 VW Jetta TSI 1.8T
daveshapellSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
jason_bet
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to jason_bet

i am fully suportive! im sure the the ej20 would be one of the most cost efective and reliable swaps out there! i mean 280hp in a in a 911!! whats not to love! if you do decide to actualy do the swap make sure that when you get the engine you get it with a uncut wire harness and see if you can get the computer with it as well... you will have to use the ej20 computer to run the engine.. im not sure at all on this but i herd that the motor mounts on the ej20 is actualy a direct bolt in??? anyone else herd this? and the radiator would be easy to make work! if you do decide to do it deffenetly post some pictures up here! i want to see!
jason_bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #10
The Swine
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to The Swine

Although I would love to see a 13bt in a 911, I would still keep a Porsche engine in it as well. To me it seems to be the same as taking the rotary out of a rotary powered car and dropping in a V8. It ruins the soul of that entire car. I can understand if your 911 engine blows, it is your only ride, and you have a V8 laying around to drop it, but if I had to do that I would be looking for a way to replace the V8 with a Flat six asap. Perhaps the V8 would make more power, but who buys a Porsche and thinks "I really want a V8 in this car?"

Even though the Subaru engine is a flat four, I just don't think it holds the same value that say, dropping a 911 turbo engine would be. Even if it is just the 911 Turbo engine out of the '86-'89 Turbos, and especially if it is from a 993+ model. I say just keep a Porsche engine in it. There are tons of things you can buy for them, you get much respect from other owners, and you'd still have a car that tons of people (like myself) lust after.

1983 Mazda Rx7

1984 Mazda Rx7
The Swine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
rotary911porsche
AF Newbie

[quote=The Swine]Although I would love to see a 13bt in a 911, I would still keep a Porsche engine in it as well. To me it seems to be the same as taking the rotary out of a rotary powered car and dropping in a V8. It ruins the soul of that entire car. /QUOTE]
I'm a little confused here. I know that people have souls. But what kind of soul does a car have? Where does it go when the car dies? What happens when you restore a "dead" car? Does it get a new soul? Or does the car merely raom the face of the earth in search of it's soul?

Yes, I have put a turbo 13B in a 911 and a 5.0 liter Ford in the donor Rx7. I guess that makes me evil?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
The Swine
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to The Swine

[quote=rotary911porsche]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swine
Although I would love to see a 13bt in a 911, I would still keep a Porsche engine in it as well. To me it seems to be the same as taking the rotary out of a rotary powered car and dropping in a V8. It ruins the soul of that entire car. /QUOTE]
I'm a little confused here. I know that people have souls. But what kind of soul does a car have? Where does it go when the car dies? What happens when you restore a "dead" car? Does it get a new soul? Or does the car merely raom the face of the earth in search of it's soul?

Yes, I have put a turbo 13B in a 911 and a 5.0 liter Ford in the donor Rx7. I guess that makes me evil?
When I say "soul" I'm clearly not meaning a proverbial soul, I am simply speaking about the feeling you get when you are in the car. When I drive my car, the engine as well as the body is what I am driving the car for. That balance of the entire car. When you get rid of the engine, then that balance is gone. I'm not calling you evil, and hell I don't even care what you did with your cars. They were yours, I'm just saying that my personal taste would be to keep it as closely to stock parts as possible. I can understand why people want more torque in an Rx7, but if I wanted more torque in my Rx7 I wouldn't have bought my Rx7s in the first place. To each his own. It is your money, and their money, so spend it on whatever you/they want. I am just giving my two cents.

1983 Mazda Rx7

1984 Mazda Rx7
The Swine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #13
dale914
AF Newbie

The greatest thing about my porsche is it's engine, I want to put a similar engine into a VW camper. Granted Porsche engines are a bit pricier, they're worth it. The porsche engine is the only one I'd put into a camper, not to make it super fast, but just because it's the closest thing to a vw engine, but compitent. If you get an SC engine from 78-83, it will be completly reliable, people race on them through 350k miles and still need no work. My SC engine needs less work than any other engine I've known.... they're 180 HP which isnt a ton, but really, if you're looking for a ton of HP in your porsche, get a turbo, putting a heavier engine in it will make it (guess what) a heavier car. Everyone I know who put in a chevy engine into their 911 are basically driving heavy, uncordinated Chevy's. SO yeah, you'll get some cheap HP, but you'll have that kinda car.... but it's up to you. if you're looking to modify a racer, I'd just modify a small fiat x19 (which are great by themselves anyways, but to each his own) your money is your money
dale914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
ducs
AF Newbie

Recently bought a 77 911SC wide body car,52k miles, with a Subaru WRX STI running 10 boost and 310 RWHP. The car needs rewired, can I hook up the original gauges from Porsche, the original wiring harness is with the car. How many hours should it take for my mechanic to rewire the car? the reason I bought the car is that it's 000031,low mileage , no rust wide body steel flares,295's on the rear and an uprated suspension with brembo's and 18' turbo twist wheels, any suggestions appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC2.JPG (108.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SC4.JPG (113.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SC6.JPG (118.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SC10.JPG (141.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by ducs; 08-31-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: addition
ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #15
ducs
AF Newbie

i'd like to keep the car as original as possible because I want to eventually take it back to a 3.0/3.2 or at least have that option. the wrx engine is from a rally car,3000 miles, w/ boost up to 28 and 500 RWHP, just the 310 makes this car fast. I may keep it this way for awhile
ducs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Porsche > 911