Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
proscroby
AF Newbie

Unhappy Non Start

I am driving a 1998 Grand Prix with 3.8V6 engine. I had just driven about 90 Km and turned off the engine. When I tried to restart about 5 minutes later, the engine would not turn over. I got a boost and the motor started. I checked the batter the next day and it was 12.1 volts cold. I turned all the accessories and it started easily. The voltage when running was 14.2 V. Can anyone tell me what the problem may be? I only wish to take it to the dealer as a last resort as they charge $149.95 just to drive into their shop.
proscroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Non Start

Was there evidence of any electrical power when the engine did not crank?
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bowtie For This Useful Post:
proscroby (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

You got to do some of your own diagnosis to help you figure it out. If it is starting and running good now it may have just been a fluke situation. It could be dirty, corroded terminals. It could be a failing ignition switch. It could be multiple things.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
proscroby
AF Newbie

Thanks guys. I cleaned the terminals and am hoping for the best. When the engine failed to start, as I was cranking, the lights on the dash were all dim and flickering. I think it could also be the ignition switch but I haven’t a clue how to check it. I’ll do some reading before I go to the dealer. My reason for going to the dealer is because I had a P0171 code and three mechanics told me it was a manifold leak although I couldn’t find one. All quoted a price of over $600 to fix it. It turned out to be an oxygen sensor.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

You need a voltmeter to check the battery static and while trying to start. How old is your battery?
Old 11-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
proscroby
AF Newbie

Not quite sure what you mean by “battery static”. I have a meter and the battery is 32 months old.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Check voltage on the battery with nothing on. Then check voltage on the battery when cranking. Check voltage at idle, then turn everything on and check voltage again.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Basically what aleekat said. I have recently had a few issues with my Lancer starting. Some days it would start without issue, other days it would crank then start to run out of juice, but a quick hookup of the jump pack and it was firing up.

My problem was I leave for work when its dark and usually get home when its dark so I haven't been able to do any diagnosis. I finally got a chance to check it cold and static this morning and the battery was only at 12.2 volts. It should be 12.7-12.8 static.

I tried starting any way and it started to crank then clicked. Hooked up the jump pack and it fired right up. Checked voltage running and it was around 14.4 volts. Shut the car back off and checked battery voltage again and it quickly dropped back to 12.2.

I ended up buying a replacement and the car has never cranked this good since I have owned it, and I have owned it two years. I did get a higher CCA (650 vs 550 that was in it) and it is AGM so I am hoping this will be the last battery I need for awhile.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:40 PM   #9
Tech II
AF Fanatic

A voltmeter is your best friend.....

Attach the voltmeter to battery(I think you said you disconnected the battery cables, checked for corrosion, and reconnected)....on a fully charged battery, you should get 12.6 volts, with nothing on.....

Now crank the vehicle over.....voltage should not drop below 9.6 volts....if it does, the PCM will not function......

It probably would be wise to check your battery cable ground connection....also check the pos cable connection at the starter solenoid, and also the purple wire connection at the starter solenoid "S" terminal...

Other possibilities, if not battery or alternator, are ignition switch or Park/Neutral switch(try shifting into N if it won't crank over in P).....You can check this by checking for BAT voltage at the ""S" terminal of starter solenoid with the key in the crank position...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand Prix