Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail
Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail Nissans greatest 4WDs and SUVs
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
gibsgoinpro
AF Newbie

1999 Pathfinder - Service Engine Light on - Can't Pass Inspection

Hey Folks,

Real quick I'll explain the situation. I Bought the car used about 5-6 years ago. When I bought it, after a while I noticed a oil burning smell in engine. Took it to a friend of my dads friend and he changed the VALVE COVER GASKET. Important note to this is that when I bought the car and before I took it to this guy, my SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT was NOT on nor had never been on.

So when I go to pick up the car and start to leave, I notice that the SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT is on and is staying on. I tell the guy but he does nothing to make it right which was total bullshit. I guess I would have had to take him to court or something and who wants to do that crap. I was ignorant and young and did not know how serious this was to get an inspection.

THe past four years, I have taken my car every year to a mechanic to illegally I guess turn the light off with a computer then I drive the car a while and come back and he checks and I get it inspected. Well this year I couldn't do that and took it to like 6 mechanics and no one would do it. So I took it the shop with best reputation in town and they hooked up to their expensive comuter and replace EVG SOLENOID I believe it is called. Well, the next day after I got the car back, the SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT came back on. THe shop told me to bring it back Monday but I have hardly any faith in mechanics actually fixing it right the first time and honoring what they say. It cost around $300 for that.

Based on that, can someone please tell me what I should do or what it could be???
gibsgoinpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: 1999 Pathfinder - Service Engine Light on - Can't Pass Inspection

you need to see what codes the computer is kicking out to determine why the light is coming on, some parts stores will check the codes for free, see what numbers come up and come back and let us know
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
gibsgoinpro
AF Newbie

Here's the codes I got from O'Reilly's Auto Parts

P0400

Code Definition: EGR System Recirculation Flow

P1440

Code Definition: EVAP Canister System Small Leak (0.040) Detected
gibsgoinpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:36 PM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

you will need a shop with a smoke generator to find the small leak, its almost inpossible to find otherwise. the other code could be caused by a bad O2 sensor or possibly a pcv vavle issue or a plugged egr or a exhaust leak
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Pathfinder | Terrano | QX4 | Xterra | Patrol | Safari | X-Trail