Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
swierz2000
AF Newbie

No Power To Fuel Pump, 2000 Windstar

No Power To Fuel Pump, 2000 Windstar
My problem started as an intermittent start, but progressively got worse and is now a no start condition. When I turn the key I do not hear the fuel pump turn on.

So far I have replaced the battery, fuel filter, fuel pump fuse twice, fuel pump relay and....Fuel Pump (ouch I know). I was hoping changing the fuel pump assembly would eliminate my problem but, it didn't.

Now I am learning how to use a multimeter. I have 12V at the fuel pump fuse and at the relay. My next move is to check the inertia switch. If I have power there, what does this tell me?

I was also going to try checking power at the fuel pump. The wiring harness extends beyond the tank, so I wont have to drop it again.

I am wondering if its a bad ground. Another thread suggested spicing into the fuel pump ground and connecting to a known good ground.

If I have power, a good ground, and a new fuel pump, what else is there?

And what is this PCM thing I have read so much about?

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thank You.
swierz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
wiswind
AF Moderator

Re: No Power To Fuel Pump, 2000 Windstar

I had a '96, but I think they kept this in the same location, you owner's manual should have the location.
The fuel pump cut-off switch, located in the jack compartment.....
It has a label.
It is impact activated, supposed to turn the fuel pump off in case of an accident.
They have been known to become intermittent....etc and prevent the voltage from getting to the fuel pump.
I would check that FIRST, since you have checked the other usual suspects for this problem.

I do not know if the PCM relay is involved in this or not, it has been mentioned in a couple of other posts.
My '96 had different wiring as far as the fuel pump is concerned and my documentation is all for my much older vehicle.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

Hi, welcome to the forum!

PCM stands for Powertrain Control Module also known as "the computer". It controls all the functions and sensors of the engine and transmission.

If you can't hear the fuel pump priming and you have already replaced all that, check the inertia switch. If you have power on one side but not the other make sure it isn't triggered (push the button on top of it). If it's OK then it might be defective and you should try disconnecting both wires and jumping them with an extra wire.

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
wiswind
AF Moderator

Inertia Switch is the correct name for the fuel pump cut-off switch that I mentioned.
Olopezm is refering to the same part......located in the jack compartment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...092975/detail/
2003 Toyota Sienna pictures (not much there yet)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4157486...781661/detail/
wiswind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
swierz2000
AF Newbie

I have checked the voltage at the inertia switch and I have 12V there. I unplugged it and ran a small wire between the two terminals. I then had a helper turn the key in the ON position while I checked the voltage.

How can you tell if the switch is bad?. The button is in the down position. Leaving the jumper in for now wont cause damage to any thing else will it?

I also checked power under the van at the fuel pump wiring harness and I only got 5-8V. I'm not sure how accurate my reading was though. While under there I could hear the pump turn on, but still no start.

Not sure what my next move is.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

To test the switch you should measure resistance across it's two terminals.

I guess your's is a digital multimeter. Set it at the resistance (Ω) lowest range and put each probe on each of the terminals on the switch (it doesn't matters which one) and you should see 0 ohms (it's an ideal value) but normally you'll see any value from 0 to 5 ohms (Ω). If that is the case then the switch is OK. If all you get is a dash (-) or a '1', it means the resistance is higher than the scale selected you can try going up one range until you get an actual value. In case you're already at the highest range and you still can't get a reading it means you have an open circuit (or high impedance) and the switch is not making contact (in other words it's defective). Make sure the spots you use for the probes are clean and unpainted as this can cause an incorrect reading. Some multimeters have a "continuity" tester (beeping function) which works the same way but I like to use resistance because some times the beeping function is a little slow to respond (it depends on the brand).

Try pushing harder on the switch while you test to make sure the switch is defective or it's dirty.

You say the pump ran after you bypassed the switch with the piece of wire. How thick it was? If you used a very small wire it might not be able to provide enough current to the fuel pump, which at the same time causes a drop in voltage) and that's why you're seeing a low voltage at the connector. Low voltage at the pump will make it turn slower and won't provide enough pressure to start the engine; try using a thicker wire.

Oscar.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
fy171
AF Newbie

make sure you disconnet the plug to the switch first then test it
fy171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I'm a bit of a "broken record" on the subject ... been there a few hundred times myself. All the stuff you are currently doing is good. But be sure to include changing out, with new, the "PCM power" and the "fuel pump" relays. Beneath the hood, near the battery. Both of these relays feed the fuel pump in series. If either gets a worn/burned relay contact ... they will chase you around in circles!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
swierz2000 (03-02-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
swierz2000
AF Newbie

Thanks for the information. I have changed the fuel pump relay, but I was also considering changing the PCM relay as well. For 8 bucks, its worth a shot.

The funny thing is, she is in a starting mood again. So for now I have to wait for another no start. When this happens I'll recheck the inertia switch and voltage at the pump.

I'm still wondering what caused the fuel pump fuse to blow in the first place?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

I just read that the inertia switch can trigger only half way. The owner triggered the switch (not sure how, he only mentions "knocking it") and reset it. After that no more problems.

You might want to give it a try as well as the PCM relay...

Oscar.
The Following User Says Thank You to olopezm For This Useful Post:
swierz2000 (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
swierz2000
AF Newbie

I appreciate all the suggestions. For some strange reason, the van is starting now. It's done this before where it will start fine for a while (sometimes for 2-3 weeks) and then start acting up again. But when it does, this time I'll be ready.

I'll take a harder look at the inertia switch, maybe even cut the wires and by pass it completely. I'll comeback and post update here.

Thanks again for all your help.