Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Talking Car stuck in park, can'T get the key out

Anyway, the shifter knob started acting up, can't get the shifter to move no matter how hard I pressed on the brake (break), try a lot of things, brake lights worked, took the cover off the shifter area and looked inside. Checked the fuses. Couldn't figure out if the starter switch had gone bad or if the shifter interlock was kaput. Finally took off the shifter knob with the frozen button and bingo. Pressing on the plastic straw was able to move the car into neutral and am on the road again.

Thanks to all who posted on this topic before.
Jimmy Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
Steelwheel
AF Newbie

Re: Car stuck in park, can'T get the key out

Yeah the shifter has done strange things for me as well. I don't like how I can't put it in neutral unless the key is has activated the car. I have actually managed to force it into neutral when the battery was dead. Have to really shove on a shifter knob and it will finally go.
Jimmy Olsen (03-22-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Olsen View Post
Anyway, the shifter knob started acting up, can't get the shifter to move no matter how hard I pressed on the brake (break), try a lot of things, brake lights worked, took the cover off the shifter area and looked inside. Checked the fuses. Couldn't figure out if the starter switch had gone bad or if the shifter interlock was kaput. Finally took off the shifter knob with the frozen button and bingo. Pressing on the plastic straw was able to move the car into neutral and am on the road again.

Thanks to all who posted on this topic before.
Issue happen again yesterday. I noticed that the ignition switch is a little loose and am wondering if the BTSI problem could be because the ignition switch is on its last legs. Intrigue has 125k miles but they are mostly very short trips.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Have seen this problem with the console shifter on grand prix's.......the wires to the shift interlock, constantly flex..... over time, the wires break INSIDE the insulation, creating intermittent contact.....sometimes, the wires completely break....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Have seen this problem with the console shifter on grand prix's.......the wires to the shift interlock, constantly flex..... over time, the wires break INSIDE the insulation, creating intermittent contact.....sometimes, the wires completely break....
I saw that u=tube video also but don't think that is the problem. Anyway, I put some w-D 40 in the key slot and the ignition switch is turning more smoothly now and the problem has not returned. Perhaps the contacts in the ignition switch were dirty from years of use?????
Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #6
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Just got a recall notice on my mom's Intrigue for the ignition switch. You might want to check to see if your year is part of the recall. Her's is a 02.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
Just got a recall notice on my mom's Intrigue for the ignition switch. You might want to check to see if your year is part of the recall. Her's is a 02.
I got the recall notice also but GM doesn't replace the switch but rather buts a gizmo on the key so the key doesn't turn accidentally.

Did see another thread on AF where the guy mentions putting a rubber pad between the switch and the car to push it tight against the dash. I did notice a similar looseness in my switch and plan on putting a thin wire on the back of the outer gray switch part that has the off acc start markings to see if it will hold the switch more firmly.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #8
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Found some 18 gauge galvanized wire in the garage, fairly thin stuff, and was able to stick some behind the hard black rubber fitting that has the off acc start run inscription.

It really tighten up the ignition switch and I suspect that time and miles has slowly loosed the ignition switch to the point that it was "acting up". Only time will tell but I think that this might have been the cause of the intermittent problem getting the car out of park.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Jimmy Olsen
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Olsen View Post
Found some 18 gauge galvanized wire in the garage, fairly thin stuff, and was able to stick some behind the hard black rubber fitting that has the off acc start run inscription.

It really tighten up the ignition switch and I suspect that time and miles has slowly loosed the ignition switch to the point that it was "acting up". Only time will tell but I think that this might have been the cause of the intermittent problem getting the car out of park.
While the ignition switch is now secure to the dash, the problem with the car stuck in park returned the next day. Finally figured out that the BTSI (shift interlock solenoid) was failing. It was very easy to disconnect and remove. Looks like problem solved although I can now move the shifter from park to reverse without my foot on the brake. No worries, mates, I know better than to shift without my foot on the brake.

I would replace the shift interlock solenoid but given my luck the problem is probably in the brake computer gizmo.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Intrigue