Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Jerome.Jolly
AF Newbie

Red face Time to ask the experts. 1995 Lincoln Continental

1995 Lincoln Continental - 4.6 li engine.

The car has been sitting and not cranked for 5 years.
Put new battery in the car and it cranked right up . Filled up with gas - and she drove like a champ.After about 200 miles- charging system error began and car eventually drained the battery and left me on the side of the road. Just my luck? LOL

I replaced the alternator AND found / replaced a blown alternator/ generator fuse (#10) under the hood. Following replacement , car started right up and ran - but was running off battery and not alternator. Kept draining the battery, and ABS light and battery idiot lights on dash stayed lit. Put battery on charger overnight. Today, I go out to start the car - and it will not start at all.. with battery fully charged. Turns over but sounds like fuel deprived. Dash says - TAch Data Error , coolant temp data error, and fuel flow data error. Replaced ECM/ECU/PCM - whatever u wanna call it. swapped out fuel pump driver module, neither helps. Fuel pump is not running or getting power. no fuel to the rail. I replaced coolant temp sensor. Could a crank sensor or cam sensor be a problem? I feel pretty certain that this is not the fuel pump failing - as it showed no indications of weakness during the 200 miles or the night before and started on first couple seconds of cranking. I know i was working close to the cam sensor when replacing the alternator... but wires do not appear to be broken or the sensor damaged... Checked inertia switch. Disconnected and reconnected crank sensor.

Notsure about this model - but anti theft flashes when i get in car but goes off shortly after. It did this before it quit starting also tho.

I feel like it should be a relay ? What about the CCRM? the schematic doesnt really show the CCRM interface in my haynes manual.. I just cant go throwing money at this - i am sure most will understand. A New Fuel pump is an expensive proposition IF it doesnt need to be replaced and wont fix the problem. LOL

I do not have a scan tool to pull codes.

I figured that some of yall are real experts... so I was hoping you might point me in the right direction ? PLEASE????
Any ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance. Jerome
Jerome.Jolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: Time to ask the experts. 1995 Lincoln Continental

Did you check the fuel pump relay + fuse?

Don't forget the fuel filter.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Jerome.Jolly
AF Newbie

yes - checked the fuel pump fuse in the power distribution box and replaced fuel filter- sorry - I should have listed them above. but Thanks for making sure i didnt overlook em!

Open to any and all suggestions.

When you say fuel pump relay - are you talking about the CCRM attached to the back of the radiator in the the front of the car - or is there one i dont know about? i rcant see on the wiring schematic?

I am working with the wiring schematic out of the haynes repair manual... shows power thru fuse 11 in the cabin and fuse 30 under the hood - to a ccrm and to a power PCM relay - to inertia swith - to fpdm - and from fpdm to the pcm and fuel pump. IT doesnt show what is coming off the ccrm. SOOOOO - IF there is another relay in there somewhere... I would LOVE to know about it! and its location if you can help with it.

I was under the understanding that in this year model, the fuel pump relay was inside the ccrm?
Am i mistaken?

Last edited by Jerome.Jolly; 09-08-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: idiocy
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Is there a safety reset button for the electric fuel pump?

Try checking fuel at the rail, and fuel regulator.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Jerome.Jolly
AF Newbie

Thanks- No fuel to the rail - since the fuel pump is not getting power. No fuel to the filter other than gravity.

Engine Temp data error and Fuelflow Data error are showing on the message center.

I replaced engine coolant temp sensor in theriser next to the alternator. still showing engine temp data error.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #6
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Can you get to the electric fuel pump from under the rear seat, or trunk?
Try running another wire for a 12volt battery to the fuel pump!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Jerome.Jolly
AF Newbie

ok - i can get the fuel pump to work by wiring a jumper from the battery to the fuel pump. It seems the only thing left is the EEC/PCM/ECM ( whatever u call it) Relay.

I was able to wire power above the inertia switch and get the fuel pump to power also. so i feel prety good that the FPDM , Inertia switch, and Fuel pump are all good - just not getting power. The fuses are not blown and the only thing inbetween is this EEC relay -

Any suggestions on where this relay might be located?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #8
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

It's in the engine compartment on the drivers side inner fender.
Roll suspected bad relay with one the same type, relay locations should be in the owners manual.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Jerome.Jolly
AF Newbie

ended up being intermitant connection to the powertrain control relay in the power distribution box under the hood. Loose wire connection was not allowing full contact and therefore no power was getting to EEC/PCM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
lincoln_c95
AF Newbie

I'm having this "Tach Data Error" issue on my 95 Continental as well and I had a mechanic hook up a scanner to try and find the related error code(s).
However the scanner couldn't read anything at all from the computer.

He told me that this most likely means that the computer itself is dead and needs to be replaced.
Before I go down that road and spend the money to replace the computer, could there be any other reason for the scanner to not be able to get codes back?
lincoln_c95 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
data , error , flow , fuel , lincoln
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Continental