Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #61
viperh
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to viperh Send a message via Yahoo to viperh
Re: Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94twacker
well, after the recent problems with the temp guage and such, we took it back to the mechanic that told us to bring it back if it starts getting worse. It got worse, alot worse. The bucking was awful and uncontrolable. Well, he looked at it and said that he got a wiring diagram for it and got under the dash and unplugged and plugged back in a couple of plugs and it seemed to fix the problem. Well, so far so good, and it has been a few days now. It hasnt bucked at all, the temp guage hasnt acted up, and all is good. All except ever since we took off the tps and tested it its acting up a little, as soon as you let off the gas while driving it starts slowing down real quick, I think it may just need to be adjusted properly, or replaced. Either was I am just thrilled this seems to be fixed, it has been a LONG time now. So to anyone else having simular problems, try something really easy and just get under the dash and unplug and plug some plugs in, one may be slightly loose or dirty, you never know but it has seemed to solve a problem that has been very bad and serious for some time now, so it cant hurt to try!
He probably unplugged the ECU then pluged it back in.. You can accomplish the same thing by un hooking the battery and turning the key to on and in 30 min come back out turn the key to off and try starting it up. It seriously sounds to me like he reset the ECU.
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #62
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

well we tested the tps as well and it came back bad, it has a bad spot in it and its very intermitten. I got a new tps from a junkyard and havent had time to put it in yet, but it seems like this is a seperate problem. If you hold the throttle in a certain position it fluctuates 500 rpm's up and down, and when driving as soon as you let off the throttle it slows down instantly, and then when you give it gas again it jerks, because the tps. Its very wierd because the problem this tps is having seems like it couild have been the problem the entire time, but his unplugging and plugging wires back in obviously fixed something and it wouldnt effect the tps, the CEL is still on and never went off, so I dont think he reset the computer. I will get the tps on as soon as I can and let you know the verditct, but so far so good when it comes to the bucking.
94twacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #63
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

Re: Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

Quote:
well we tested the tps as well and it came back bad, it has a bad spot in it and its very intermitten.
If I may ask - did you take the TPS apart?

Is the TPS a wire wound potentiometer or is it a graphite POT like
in electron equipment - radio volume control, etc.?

I have a Geo Metro with some strange problem and I have not
checked the TPS yet.

But I was wondering how they work. If a graphite POT is in them,
then Hell!, they'd wear out fairly quickly moving back and forth
with each throttle movement - Gozillions of times a year!

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #64
viperh
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCTORBILL
If I may ask - did you take the TPS apart?

Is the TPS a wire wound potentiometer or is it a graphite POT like
in electron equipment - radio volume control, etc.?

I have a Geo Metro with some strange problem and I have not
checked the TPS yet.

But I was wondering how they work. If a graphite POT is in them,
then Hell!, they'd wear out fairly quickly moving back and forth
with each throttle movement - Gozillions of times a year!

DoctorBill
Well in the 2-3k range it just bogged down now it is doing the violent stuff yours is doing. It was fine untill I unplugged the O2 sensor and plugged it back in. When It jerks the check engine light comes one but then turns itself off.. its really wierd. I have a rebuilt ECU.. I'm probably going to change the tps and o2 sensor and see if that helps. Or just take it to the dealership..

Last edited by viperh; 01-08-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #65
94twacker
AF Enthusiast

problem is back and strong as ever, I dont know anymore....I just give up. She is planning to hopefully sell it soon..
94twacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:46 AM   #66
viperh
AF Regular

Quote:
problem is back and strong as ever, I dont know anymore....I just give up. She is planning to hopefully sell it soon..
Somewhere in this list lies the problem because my tracker doesn't bog down anymore.
I had a small exhaust leak I fixed it.
I checked the timing it was retarded 20+ degrees. (Used an Inductive timing light.)
Timing is now at +5
Replaced the distributor cap, spark plug wires, and spark plugs.
Replaced the O2 sensor.
I did all that at once cranked her over and she hasn't sputtered, stalled, or felt like it has hit a brick wall yet and I've been driving it for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #67
skivancan
AF Newbie

Try spending less than $10, change your pcv valve, add a litre of methyl hydrate to your gas tank on your next fill up and keep your tank above 3/4 full for the next 10 fill ups. Good luck.
skivancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #68
It is a car!
AF Newbie

Talking Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

So Whats the verdict?
It is a car! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #69
tom434
AF Newbie

replace the egr valve and the egr valve sensor cleaning it does not work replace the 02 sensor while your at it
tom434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #70
TamieK
AF Newbie

Mine just started having the bucking problem about 4 weeks ago. Took it to the garage and they did tune up (plugs wires and all), did nothing. My mechanic (small town guy) had to farm it out to another garage and it turned out to be the computer. They put a new (used) computer in and now it's running wonderful.
TamieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #71
yamaha04
AF Newbie

Check the points on the distributor cap and the rotor. It sounds like it is misfiring. Also if you have the chance check the teeth on the distributor.
yamaha04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #72
cheyenne'88
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Re: having problems with 94 Geo Tracker.....

I've seen in here, or somewhere, that the crank/timing belt sprocket can slip, or be broken from it's mount if not put on correctly (or just age). Then timing problems can result, and you can be out of time even when you set it according to the +5 mark.
It's in Viper's list above, he reset timing as part of the cure. Maybe you could pull the timing cover and belt, so you can remove that pulley and check. The cure was to drill and put pins into the crank and pulley. There were two people there, who had that problem and solution. They both did the drill/pin technique, maybe because the crank was also damaged, or because the pulley was costly.
One other thing, maybe your Cat.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:44 AM   #73
sgeorge
AF Newbie

you can send me the ecm no charge if if is not the problem. just shipping.
george_steve@bellsouth.net
sgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:08 AM   #74
freekshow74
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to freekshow74

parts for sale list on a thread. questions on a part email me.
lowtrack86@yahoo.com.
freekshow74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #75
loralove22
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss62
i have a 95 tracker with 215k on it and having the same problem! Idles great and runs super except for cutting out some times, and it mainly happens when the AC is on. Changed dist.cap,plugs and wires, didn't fix a thing. Also cleaned Throtle body which helped it Idle much better and helped mileage. I have no codes, I think I have narrowed problem down to the ICM(ignition control module), ECM(computer)or Pick-up coil in Distributor. The ICM will not put a code in system where the ECM will. Also The ICM will check out fine when at idle because it is not breaking down. Going to try ICM first, and get one from junk yard, new one is 80 to 100 dollars, might be able to get one from yard for 1/2 that.
I have a 95 geo tracker, and i can drive it all day long without any problems and then run the ac and i lose power and drop from 75mph to 45mph...idles great, but i lose power when i take turns and when i run the ac. i have changed the spark plugs, and wires, i had an oil leak because we changed the oil pan gasket and my friend didnt tighten it up enough so we redid that. and no more leak, still losing power though, so we changed the fuel filter,and put a new battery in. i was wondering when you changed the icm did it work? mine is an automatic...and it is strange but one day i was doing alot of driving and it was hot outside, and after driving all day, it just lost power completly. it would drive at 45mph in the beggining and then not go anywhere.. i let it sit over night and the next day it was fine. it acted like it over heated, but the temp. gage never got hot, and i know it works, because it got hot when my serpentine belt broke, in fact i never had this problem till i replaced the belt. please help...as for now i am checking the computer...
loralove22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker