Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
bsilverado00
AF Newbie

00' Silverado no heat

This issue started a few weeks ago, let the truck sit for a couple of days and no heat, did a radiator flush, replaced the thermostat/water outlet. Hose into heater core hot, return hose cold. Is there anything else in that cooling loop that could cause the problem, or is the core plugged? It's an ext cab 5.3. All help appreciated.
bsilverado00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
inafogg
AF Enthusiast

Re: 00' Silverado no heat

hello if hose is cold = clogg. you can try removing heater hoses & flush out heater core.(back flush first) if this does'nt help you may need to replace.
GOOD LUCK!!
inafogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsilverado00
This issue started a few weeks ago, let the truck sit for a couple of days and no heat, did a radiator flush, replaced the thermostat/water outlet. Hose into heater core hot, return hose cold. Is there anything else in that cooling loop that could cause the problem, or is the core plugged? It's an ext cab 5.3. All help appreciated.
the heater core appears to be blocked.
i have 2000 5.3 dexcool coolant . when i replace coolant i have found debris only in the heater core. coolant is very clean after 5years which is my r/r cycle. so if you disconnect heater core hoses at engine thermostat and force water into heater core and reverse this should show if this was the problem. also when filling coolant keep fill cap off. run engine to operating temp could be air in system....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
bsilverado00
AF Newbie

I'm thinking air in the system as j cAT said. I removed cap, let run until operating temp, had heat, both hoses hot, coolant level didn't change. I'll see in the morning once it cools down, if that solved the problem
Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
bsilverado00
AF Newbie

Let's see, I back flushed the heater core, it's not plugged, ran it w/o cap until operating temp, as said earlier replaced thermostat, flush and fill coolant, sporadic heat, all doors on heater box functioning properly, what should I check next??????????
Old 02-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Let's see, I back flushed the heater core, it's not plugged, ran it w/o cap until operating temp, as said earlier replaced thermostat, flush and fill coolant, sporadic heat, all doors on heater box functioning properly, what should I check next??????????
have you had to add coolant ? i can go 2-3yrs before i add a couple of oz. if you have leak this is the only reason i can come up with. does heat return when cap is removed if so this once again could be leak or worse a head gasket and some exhaust gases getting into coolant... i hope not !
Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 AM   #7
littlebitnorth
AF Newbie

Heres a curve ball for you. I have a 2001 and twice the heater has quit blowing warm air. I shut down and restarted and everything worked. Both times it was damn cold(40 below). My point is with mine it was a switch/computer issue that some how resolved itself by powering down. Just something to consider.
littlebitnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebitnorth
Heres a curve ball for you. I have a 2001 and twice the heater has quit blowing warm air. I shut down and restarted and everything worked. Both times it was damn cold(40 below). My point is with mine it was a switch/computer issue that some how resolved itself by powering down. Just something to consider.
your problem i believe is the temperature control unit this is mounted on the under dash air ducting directly above the floor hump this a common failure along with the damper door that is controlled by this componet sticking .his problem was one hose hot the other cold going to heater core... these should always be hot...temp control unit does not restrict coolant flow it only directs air flow.........
Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
deoncollins69
AF Newbie

This make take some time but make sure the return line is not colapsing. Hose have good expansion qualities but no quality to hold vacum. Just a thought. I had an upper hose cause a cooling issue this may cause a heating issue int he core. If you do not have a colapsed hoe try finding the cabin filter cover if you have one. Pull the door and you should be able to see the core. One way or another check the surface temp. if it is hot it's fine. One other thing Do you have digital climate control? If you do it is a sensor.
deoncollins69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
gmvortec
AF Newbie

Quote:

Is your water pump pumping properly, had to replace one last week, no heat same as you, not leaking or noisy it just wasn't pumping enough water round the system, impellor was corroded.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #11
bsilverado00
AF Newbie

What I found was an air pocket in the heater core, loosened the return hose burped the air, and I've had heat for a week.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
What I found was an air pocket in the heater core, loosened the return hose burped the air, and I've had heat for a week.
hopefully that air bubble won't come back!!!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
ducati1
AF Newbie

I have a similar issue with Mine but it has a twist. I have little heat, fan speed 1 or 2 produces heat but anything more does not. Blew out the heater core last fall just in case and it was PERFECTLY CLEAN. I changed the thermostat a couple weeks ago and it was a little bit better. Everything was VERY clean inside the water pump and fuild was clean as well. The engine temp seems to be operating just fine. I have notice that if I am on the highway at over 2k rpm I have significantly MORE heat... I think the water pump is corroded. Has anyone seen this issue?
ducati1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
ducati1
AF Newbie

One more note. The hose is hot one side and cold the other but I could not find a clog anywhere...
ducati1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
FrankB43015
AF Newbie

Make sure you flush in both directions. I flushed into upper hose and out lower hose and saw nothing, switched directions and the flow was much slower, then the clog came flying out. Instant heat! Acts like a new truck again - not bad for 176,000 miles.
FrankB43015 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado