Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
colenickel
AF Newbie

Pass lock Sensor, BCM, or ignition cylinder?

Hello all,

I've been experiencing a bit of an issue with my truck. Just to give you some background....the truck is a 2000 silverado 4.8L v8 (sorry no details about the trans). Anyhow, the issue I'm experiencing is intermittment, but a few times a week when trying to crank the truck the security light will come on solid and the truck will crank then immediately die. When this happens the cluster will also emit a very strange ding, ding, ding that is entirely unlike the normal ding that you get when you put the key in the ignition....this one sounds almost sick like and weak.

I know that some people have experienced the same type of issue when the BCM has been the culprit. However, with mine I am able to pull the BCM fuse under the hood then plug it back in and the truck will crank normally and will continue to operate normally for several days until it does it again. I know with others that have had a bad BCM, pulling the fuse would not work for them so I'm not 100% convinced that this is my problem, which leads me to the pass lock sensor or the ignition cylinder. I know Chevy's are notorious for bad pass lock sensors, but I am really torn about where to start.

As a side note, before the current issue began I was driving to work early one morning about 4 months ago before the sun was up. On the drive, my running lights went out and the security light came on flashing, but the truck continued running so I drove on to work. When I got there I turned it off and then cranked it back up with no issues except that I had no headlights and the security light would flash. On my lunch break I checked a few things and determined that the BCM fuse under the hood had blown so I replaced it with another 10 amp fuse and it blew immediately. Unfortunately, all I had left was a 20 amp and like an idiot I tried that one. The lights began to work momentarily before the dash started smoking and at that point nothing would work...the security light was on solid and the truck would no longer crank. I had towed to the Chevrolet dealership and they kept it about a week then finally called and said they had traced down 3-4 damaged wires near the fuse block that they had repaired. When I picked the truck up it was running fine, but I after their fix I no longer had day time running lights. The head lights do come on with the switch on the dash so I haven't been too worried about it until this recent issue started a few weeks later. I also noticed that the BCM fuse the dealership replaced under the hood was a 15 amp...not sure that this matters but I do know the factory was a 10 amp.

Can anyone offer some insight on where the best place to start would be? At this point, I'm thinking I may just start by replacing the pass lock sensor then the BCM and having Chevy flash the new BCM and see if that fixes it, but I know I'm looking at several hundred dollars for a fix so any help would be appreciated.
colenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Pass lock Sensor, BCM, or ignition cylinder?

your problem is most likely a short from when this started . the under hood fuse box is a good place to start . under the box rodents like to chew up the wiring.
installing a larger fuse you damaged the wiring . so you are screwed on getting any help here.

perhaps this will educate those who don't understand that these vehicles have wires designed to handle the absolute min current flow . any more and they will melt down and short out , to each other . a very expensive repair lots of labor / time..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado