Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
dss_cottage
AF Newbie

Chrome Rim Problem

I see from this forum that others have the same problem as I do.

I have a 2007 Lucerne with chrome rims (a $950 option!!!). In 2010, the rims were so badly corroded that the tires leaked. After a fight with GM, they ultimately replaced the rims under warranty. Now, 3 years later, the warranty has expired but the rims are badly corroded again.

I am certain that the chrome rims are defective. Although I don't have them now, I have recently owned a 1957 Thunderbird and a 1965 Mustang with their original chrome (bumpers and trim) and their chrome was in much better shape than the Lucerne rims!

I brought the car back to the dealership and asked that the rims be replaced. They refused.

I then wrote a letter to the President of GM asking that the issue be resolved. In response, they refused to fully cover replacement rims but told me that the retail price to replace the rims would be $3200 and they would be willing to replace them for $2048 plus tax.

This is unacceptable to me so I am considering either a small claims court claim or a class action lawsuit.

Therefore, my question.....
How many have this same problem and would you be interested in joining a class action lawsuit?
dss_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: Chrome Rim Problem

What I have seen is the chrome peels away on the inside, and as it rotates, pieces hit the caliper and make noise......if I remember right, the replacement ones, no longer had the chrome on the inside....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
dss_cottage
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
What I have seen is the chrome peels away on the inside, and as it rotates, pieces hit the caliper and make noise......if I remember right, the replacement ones, no longer had the chrome on the inside....
That's exactly what I'm experiencing. On both the original and replacement (3 years ago) rims, the chrome peels off the inside of the rims and then the corrosion creeps under the chrome on the face of the rims. On the original rims, the first place where the corrosion was a problem was under the bead of the tire, thereby causing the tire to leak.

By the way.....
GM's "generous" offer to replace the rims at a "reduced" cost of $2048 works out to $512/rim. The most expensive new chrome rim that I can find at a local automotive store is $284/rim. Geez!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Tech II
AF Fanatic

How about low cost steel rims, and fancy new hubcaps....some of those hubcaps today look pretty cool, and almost real.....

Or, there is a lot of cool stuff under $200....just surf the net.....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
dss_cottage
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
How about low cost steel rims, and fancy new hubcaps....some of those hubcaps today look pretty cool, and almost real.....

Or, there is a lot of cool stuff under $200....just surf the net.....
That's my plan if somehow I can't force GM to act.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss_cottage View Post
That's my plan if somehow I can't force GM to act.

Thanks for the suggestion.
You and another thousand others.
It is a problem with Cadillac also as owning a CTS (new so no problem) so I am a member of that forum, but GM 06 to 10 made crappy chrome rims. One voice (yours) is not going to force GM to do anything. Buy after market rims as I did for my Lucerne and get over it, and enjoy the car. Loved my Lucerne so much I still have it. Two wonderful black beauties, my Lucerne and CTS.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
dss_cottage
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarzak View Post
You and another thousand others.
.......but GM 06 to 10 made crappy chrome rims. One voice (yours) is not going to force GM to do anything.
Yes. It is obvious from GM's pathetic response to my letter that this is the case.
However, if it is true that thousands of others have had the same problem, why wouldn't a class action suit stir things up.

I'm really tired of paying good money for crap!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
jackmalone2001
AF Regular

I posted this very issue a while back. GM told me to get stuffed. I had the dealership quote me a $800 per wheel, mounted AND balanced replacement!!

Anyway, I am thinking about re-finishing my chrome wheels by painting them silver with the new Rustoleum self etching primer, wheel paint and clear coat made specifically for wheels.

My question is, the outside looks like crap, but what about the inside? If I paint them, is there corrosion on the inside of the rim eating the wheel?

Thoughts?

Thanks all!!!

after:
jackmalone2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
polarzak
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmalone2001 View Post

My question is, the outside looks like crap, but what about the inside? If I paint them, is there corrosion on the inside of the rim eating the wheel?

Thoughts?

Thanks all!!!
Before I replaced mine, I found the the corrosion/chrome peeling was worse where the rim contacted the bead of the tire. There wasn't any on the front facing out, or on interior (inside) of the wheel, covered by the tire. .On the other side of the wheel, normally facing in, there was quite a lot of pitting and some chrome pealing. I chipped off the loose chrome, and polished the pitting with a brass wire brush and then painted the entire inside (back side) with something like Rustolium. It worked well, for two years, and was still good when I got rid of them. What I couldn't seem to repair and paint was where the bead contacted the rim so the repair (done at a tire shop) would only last six months or less and they would start to leak again. I found it all a losing battle once it starteds. It seems like GM skimped on the chroming process on the inside and rear of the wheel, and only did a good chrome (thick) job on the front where people could see it. I hope you have better and lasting results with your paint job..
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Lucerne