Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Cadillac Classics
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #1
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

472ci cad engine into a 57 chevy

I have a 71 472ci cad engine and a th400 trans from my 71 coupe.
I would like to install it into my 57 chevy belair.
Has anyone out there tried this and if so, what problems were encountered.
Any help would be appreciated.

Al
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: 472ci cad engine into a 57 chevy

Mounting the transmission to the engine is one problem unless the trans has the BOC bell pattern.

Lack of performance parts is the next problem. Finding a front mount for the Cadillac block is the next problem. Mass is the other problem.
Blue Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Mass? A Caddy 500 is significantly lighter than a 396-502 Chevy, and those boat anchors get put in Tri-Fives all the time.

As for transmissions, Turbo 400s came in Buicks and Oldsmobiles and should bolt right up.
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Lightbulb Re: 472ci cad engine into a 57 chevy

Just a reminder here to look at the dates before posting, this is a dead thread 2.5 years old, BTW I agree with your statement.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub006 View Post
Mass? A Caddy 500 is significantly lighter than a 396-502 Chevy, and those boat anchors get put in Tri-Fives all the time.

As for transmissions, Turbo 400s came in Buicks and Oldsmobiles and should bolt right up.
I am still contemplating this project in the future.
Performance parts are available for the 500/472 but are more costly than BB chevy parts. I guess the stock heads are very restrictive on those motors and the valve train must also be upgraded for high RPM use.
Someone also makes a front engine mount for these engines.

I just want a high torque cruiser motor not a 1/4 mile screamer.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
brocksome
AF Newbie

A number of years ago, I read an article in Classic Trucks? about installing 472-500 engines into oldr pickups. Since then, I've installed a 472 into a 1980 dually and it was a straight forward swap. If you use a Chev turbo 400, you'll need an adaptor to fit the transmission to the Cad engine. These are readily available. Be aware that the Cad engine mount is about 4 inches forward from a Chev and here is where the engineering starts. I am presently finishing up the installation of a Cad 500 into a 1967 Chev C-10 and it has a been an extremely time consuming difficult task. To get the installation started, we put the cab on the frame and mounted the engine. We tried to use a combo of Chev big block engine mounts (1973 and up Chev big block mounts) coupled to the Cadillac engine mount. No way, could not get the engine low enough in the frame. We put the front clip (fenders etc) on and found that the fan blade was about 2 inches above the radiator core support. Understand that with the exception of Elderados, 472-500 Cads have front sump oil pans. In my case, the ONLY OIL PAN THAT WILL WORK FOR THIS APPLICATION IS AN ELDERDO OIL PAN. This is the only pan that will clear the front crossmember. People will say that the front oil pan off of a 425 Cad will work, but it will not clear the front crossmember. Been there done that. I can't vouch the 425 oil pan for other appellations. We had to set the engine in the frame and make engine mounting brackets for both sides. We coupled the transmission to the engine and through trial and error engineered the mount to fit. Another issue you'll face is getting the transmission to clear the firewall lip. In my installation, I have about a half inch clearance. This installation barely works as the oil pan barely clears the front crossmember with about a quarter inch clearance. I have about a quarter inch clearance between the oil pan and the steering linkage. If you choose to use a manual transmission, the crankshaft will need to be machined to accept a pilot bearing. Caddies were never meant of stick shifts. You must have a wrong rear end and a tall gear (no 4.10 or 3.73s) as this engine has so much torque you can blow out a rear end first time you put it in gear. My engine has some performance parts in it to include an Edlebrock Performer intake, an upgraded Cam (around 214 degrees a 0.05) and a shaft rocker system for the valve train. On the Dyno, it put out 400 Hp and 600+ ft lbs of torque using headers. Do not use a Holly carb as your power will decrease compared to the Rochester carb. Exhaust headers are also another problem. Sanderson header company says there exhaust system will fit but it will not fit 67-72 Chev C-10s. Do not do business with this company as they screwed me over big time. The woman who answer the phone there, will quarrel with you. I returned the headers and although she signed for them, she has refused to reimburse me. So they have my money and my headers. Bottom line, these are wonderful engines but they can be a nightmare getting them to fit other vehicles. There is very little help out there and the two major supplier of Cad parts, The Cad Company in New Mexico and Maximum Torque Specialties, offer very little help. They don't have any engine mounts that will fit any application. My advice, forget about mounting this engine and go with a Chev small block.
brocksome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
noname22
AF Newbie

I am still contemplating this project in the future.
Performance parts are available for the 500/472 but are more costly than BB chevy parts. I guess the stock heads are very restrictive on those motors and the valve train must also be upgraded for high RPM use.
noname22 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Cadillac Classics