Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 05:42 PM   #1
jones_corey
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to jones_corey
2002 Wrangler X, Grinding noise while shifting

Hello. I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X with a 4.0L V6 engine and a 5 spd. manual transmission with almost 40,000 miles on it. My problem is that I am hearing a grinding noise when I shift gears. We have had pretty cold weather around here over the past four days (betweeen 0 and 28 degrees farenheit). Along with the cold weather, we have had snow and ice. Because of this snow and ice I have used my four wheel drive often to help with traction on the snow. Now, the snow has cleared, I am back in 2 Wheel Drive, and I am having this problem. When I begin from a stop and shift to 1st, when my clutch is almost completely out, there is a little grinding noise, and when i shift from 1st to 2nd, as soon as i press the clutch, i hear a grinding and then when i actually have made the shift and am letting the clutch back out, the same grinding. This also occurs between 2nd and 3rd and sometimes between 3rd and 4th, but never between 4th and 5th. Also when I shift down, say from 5th to 2nd to make a turn, it does not make the noise. Only when shifting up. Once in gear though, there is no more noise, Only when shifting. Any help would be appreciated, I am afraid I might cause more damage if I continue to drive. Thanks. -Corey

Quick Addition: May be more of a clunking noise than an actual grinding noise. Thanks

Last edited by jones_corey; 12-26-2004 at 07:46 PM.
jones_corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 2002 Wrangler X, Grinding noise while shifting

Could be the throwout bearing in the clutch. You said it's only when pushing the clutch, NOT when actually shifting, right?

We had an 02 that make a noise when pushing the clutch, had to have the clutch master cylinder replaced under warranty. Hopefully you got the 7/70 powertrain warranty....
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #3
jones_corey
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to jones_corey
Right, it only makes the noise while pushing in the clutch. Also over the last couple of days, it has not been making the noise as much. I have been clutching twice (once to neutral and then again to go to the next gear), and it seems to not make the noise as much. Yesterday, it only made the noise twice and both times I was on a really bumpy ice covered parking lot only using 1st gear and using my clutch very often. Don't know if this information may give you any more clues. I realize my problem sounds very broad and kind of stupid, but I am trying to just get an idea of what might be going on. Thanks for the reply. -Corey
jones_corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #4
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Re: 2002 Wrangler X, Grinding noise while shifting

No sweat; ours got better and worse also. I'd have the clutch master cylinder looked at.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:01 PM   #5
fmrmti
AF Newbie

Sometimes the tranny will make that sound when a syncronizer is going. Double-clutching can seem to fix it. Usually found in higher mileage cars, tho.

Good luck!
fmrmti is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jeep > Wrangler