Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Bain
AF Regular

86' 325e won't start

Ok so here's the run down lol. First off I just bought an 86' 325E from a guy who claimed the fuel pumps died on him after stopping at a gas station. However after I fiddled around with it I found that I could make both fuel pumps come on after adding a ground wire to the fuel pump relay. Now I am having a couple other problems. One is that when I turn the key to the on position the fuel pumps stay on instead of shutting back off after a few seconds. Also I am not getting any spark. On that one I have power getting to the coil and the distributor cap and rotor look nearly brand new. I have read in other threads in here that these bmw's have some failsafe where the ecu prevents spark if something happens to the fuel system but I'm not sure if that is what is happening here or how to reset it. so all that being said I am fishing in the dark for ideas. I can only think of two things at the moment. Either the ecu is still interfereing due to the fuel pumps not shutting off or a sensor going bad, or maybe the timing has gotten off. So I plan to check to make sure the distributor rotor turns as the engine cranks tomorrow. Any other ideas would be great. Thanks
Bain is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series