Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Nictoe
AF Newbie

Timing Belt Time Bomb

Talked to my car mechanic recently about what kind of options I have with my 2001 Kia timing belt. There really isn't any way to check if the original owner actually did the recommended 60,000 and 120,000 timing belt replacement. My mechanic mentioned the fact, that he'd seen many timing belts at 60,000 miles still in good condition. He also said, that the only it way it can be inspected is to take everything apart. I'm also assuming that this car model has a RUBBER belt. So I'm just wondering, just how far and how long can these types of belts last.
Nictoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: Timing Belt Time Bomb

HIGHLY recommended every 60k. They are a combination of many things, not just rubber. If you don't know and aren't sure get it done, it is a lot cheaper than getting your head replaced/replacing several valves.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
mark_gober
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nictoe View Post
Talked to my car mechanic recently about what kind of options I have with my 2001 Kia timing belt. There really isn't any way to check if the original owner actually did the recommended 60,000 and 120,000 timing belt replacement. My mechanic mentioned the fact, that he'd seen many timing belts at 60,000 miles still in good condition. He also said, that the only it way it can be inspected is to take everything apart. I'm also assuming that this car model has a RUBBER belt. So I'm just wondering, just how far and how long can these types of belts last.
Nictoe,

I may run counter to the conventional wisdom here, but I changed mine at ~100K miles. You actually can check it to see what kind of wear it has and it's relatively easy. If you go to the belt end of the engine, the timing belt cover is removable at the top of the engine. There are three (I think) bolts that hold the top part of the cover to the engine. Remove those and you can look at the top part of the timing belt (where it runs on the camshafts). Look at the belt and then rotate the engine and look some more. If it looks new, I would go more miles before I change it.

I changed mine at 100k because the water pump failed on me. (I actually had to do this in a truckstop parking lot in the middle of no where Tennessee when I was traveling with my family....needless to say, it was high stress). Had the water pump not failed, I wouldn't have changed it. It still looked great.

I would say though that if you do end up changing it, have the water pump replaced while they're in there. Same amount of work and you'll have a new water pump.

Checking the timing belt shouldn't take but maybe 10 minutes and you'll KNOW what condition the belt is in. Good luck.

Mark
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
jcwit
AF Newbie

Change the timing belt at the suggested interval per mfg,s maintence schdule. To do otherwise with an interference engine and the t/b breaks of shears teeth your expense is either a new engine or new car.

But then again its your money.
jcwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #5
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

with kia and hyundai, i agree

check this other thread out:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...=140088&page=3

and if you also google, lots of complaints even before the belt interval comes up
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

what the... spam posting?
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia