Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR
XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR Classic and Current XJ Models, including the R series.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
spelljunkie
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1999 XJ8 Died...

Just bought a used 1999 Vaden Plas (V8) 3 days ago. Was driving around, stopped, then pushed the "S" (sport) button for the first time. Started driving, after about 1 mile Low Oil Pressure message appeared on the dash (have since checked the oil and it is full and clead). After another mile I decided to pop it in Neutral to give it a couple revs to see if Oil warning would turn off; however, when I put it in Neutral, the car died... I coasted to a stop, and now the car will not turn over or anything. I turn the key and it clicks once, then either a Taction Contol Fail (most common) or Restricted Performace warning displays. Just had the car towed home.

Any suggestions other than "call a dealer"?

I have noticed that the XJ8 has a MAF Sensor that often fails, but my research seems to show that the Vaden Plas doesn't have one... which I hope is good news since a MAFS costs over $400...
Oxygen Sensors seem to be something that fails quite a bit on VPs...

Nearest Jag dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away. I have done a lot of repair work to american cars, this is my first Jag. Will this work for it?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/INNOVA-OBD-...3519_10101.jcw

Last edited by spelljunkie; 08-07-2008 at 09:55 PM.
spelljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
spelljunkie
AF Newbie

Cool Re: 1999 XJ8 Died...

Ok, got the code reader and it says P0335, which is Crankshaft Position Sensor failure. I am picking up a new sensor from the dealer on Monday. Research shows that there is a Haynes Manual for the XJ6, XJ12, and XJS, but nothing for an XJ8....

It appears that the failure of this sensor is not uncommon, and would explain why the engine just shut off when driving and the system won't let it turn over again.

Does anyone know where that Sensor is located? Not to be insulting, but after using and reading this forum, Jag owners aren't the most mechanically inclined (you might want to check out the other vehicle forums if you don't believe me)... I'm the type that has worked my way up to a Jag, so have worked on every vehicle I have ever owned without the need to ever take it to a shop/dealer (with occassional help from this site's forums, actually). Hopefully someone out there has tacked this likely uncomplicated problem before... This forum needs someone to step up and show what these car forums are supposed to be about. Doing your own work (especially minor things) is supposed to be fun, some people actually do it as a hobby...

I will keep updating to set an example.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Higgins11
AF Newbie

Re: 1999 XJ8 Died...

the crank pos sensor is at the flywheel under the car right near the transmission.
Higgins11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
firetapped
AF Newbie

I had a 88 xj6 had problems with the crank postioning unit and the igintion amplipher located next to the coil. Don't know if that helps you out at all but good luck.
firetapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #5
spelljunkie
AF Newbie

Angry It's dead...

Had it towed to Jag dealer, who diagnosed it with "catastrophic engine failure"... $10,500 to replace engine. The lower engine is seized... I only drove the car 152 miles since purchasing it. Am currently preparing litigation paperwork as the dealership where I bought it said, "That's too bad, but it was As Is." The dealership is new, and apparently he has never been sued before (I am an attorney). I made several attempts to negotiate with the owner, but no luck. He doesn't know it, but this deal is going to end up costing him 3-4 times the contract price.

Buying a Jag was the carrot I had been dangling in front of myself through all the years of college and the bar exam, but turned out to be a short-lived dream... Good luck to the rest of you Jag owners, I have had to switch back to reliable GMs...
Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
euromech
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to euromech

All early V8 Jags were fitted with plastic timing chain tensioners. There are 4 chains and 4 tensioners. They break, causing massive damage.

If you buy an early model XJ8 or XK8 it is worth seeing if the tensioners have been modified to the metal version with new chains. A good mechanic would charge about 2 hours to remove the valve covers and have a look (if no paperwork is available to support a previous modification).

Most dealers will not repair the engine if one or more chain breaks. I have just completed two of them at a fraction of the cost of a new engine.
It is not rocket science, just an engine!

euromech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

How old is the battery in this car?

OBDII systems,Bells & whistles,and electric fuel pumps demand alot of juice.
A Battery is only good for 4-Years.

These cars were born with catastrophic issues!
see
http://www.alldata.com
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Jaguar > XJ6| XJ8| XJ12 | XJR