Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9000
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
stoned_pimp420
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to stoned_pimp420
Post Huge Saab Rant!!!

I own a 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo but I've got to say I hate the designers of Saab, not because it's a badly designed car but because so damn much is wrong with mine. I know it's a rather fast car and could be a damn good commuter car to and from college this semester considering gas mileage.

But Here are the reasons I hate MY Saab:
I have no brake lights
I have no low beam headlights
My horn does not work
The back doors are hell to open
The back hatch latch assembly won't stay together
The lifters tick horribly whenever it's running
I can't find out any mechanical info on this car (like lifter adjustments)
The E-Brake doesn't work at all
The best has yet to be mentioned:
The clutch is slipping very bad and it's gonna cost 400$ to just buy the clutch kit!!!
Then the clutch master cylinder won't mount up solidly so that every time I press the clutch the assembly will move up as well.

The sad thing about this car is the fact that I had bought it from an auction for 100$ When I bought it the battery was dead and it was out of gas and I had to change the spark plugs and coil, after I had fixed all of this I finally got it to start up without much trouble but it smoked a lot, well I drove it about 40 miles to my house and during this trip it uses every bit of 4 quarts of oil it turns out that the turbo seals were destroyed so I paid a guy 150$ to rebuild the turbo with all new parts well that fixed the smoking and oil consumption then the clutch starts slipping after I put about 25 miles on it with the new turbo I spent an hour and a half installing. SO I have to have most of these problems taken care of by Janurary 6th so I can make it to and from school, because I really don't want to have to put 75 or 80 miles a day on my buick because of the money i have in it's bodywork and other things.

I'm sorry I just had to rant on about my saab story, but if anyone can possibly help me with my car problems
PLEASE DON'T HESISTATE TO POST A REPLY!!!

If you can't be a good example, you can always be a horrible warning!
stoned_pimp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
mbunakeith
AF Regular

Re: Huge Saab Rant!!!

i could have told you all of that. 86" 9000 are big POS. no brainer, should have asked me before yoou bought it if you think you got the shaft from saab, try working on them for a living!
mbunakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #3
jkw
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to jkw
saab story

What can you expect for $100?
jkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
shortlid
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Huge Saab Rant!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbunakeith
i could have told you all of that. 86" 9000 are big POS. no brainer, should have asked me before yoou bought it if you think you got the shaft from saab, try working on them for a living!
Asa SAAB tech. what do you think about the 1995 SAAB 9000 Aero in 5-speed?
shortlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
shortlid
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned_pimp420
I own a 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo but I've got to say I hate the designers of Saab, not because it's a badly designed car but because so damn much is wrong with mine. I know it's a rather fast car and could be a damn good commuter car to and from college this semester considering gas mileage.

But Here are the reasons I hate MY Saab:
I have no brake lights
I have no low beam headlights
My horn does not work
The back doors are hell to open
The back hatch latch assembly won't stay together
The lifters tick horribly whenever it's running
I can't find out any mechanical info on this car (like lifter adjustments)
The E-Brake doesn't work at all
The best has yet to be mentioned:
The clutch is slipping very bad and it's gonna cost 400$ to just buy the clutch kit!!!
Then the clutch master cylinder won't mount up solidly so that every time I press the clutch the assembly will move up as well.

The sad thing about this car is the fact that I had bought it from an auction for 100$ When I bought it the battery was dead and it was out of gas and I had to change the spark plugs and coil, after I had fixed all of this I finally got it to start up without much trouble but it smoked a lot, well I drove it about 40 miles to my house and during this trip it uses every bit of 4 quarts of oil it turns out that the turbo seals were destroyed so I paid a guy 150$ to rebuild the turbo with all new parts well that fixed the smoking and oil consumption then the clutch starts slipping after I put about 25 miles on it with the new turbo I spent an hour and a half installing. SO I have to have most of these problems taken care of by Janurary 6th so I can make it to and from school, because I really don't want to have to put 75 or 80 miles a day on my buick because of the money i have in it's bodywork and other things.

I'm sorry I just had to rant on about my saab story, but if anyone can possibly help me with my car problems
PLEASE DON'T HESISTATE TO POST A REPLY!!!
How many miles are on your 9000?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
mbunakeith
AF Regular

a really great car if it doesnt have tcs. you just have to be rich to own it because they break constantly. nothing drives like one. super road feel, quiet, good handling for a car that weighs twice what a toyota does. it is fairly easy to work on. some over-complicated systems that have tested my diagnostic abilities on more than one occasion. turbos are solid on them and rarely need replacing. trionic units and di cassettes are another story. boost pressure control valves like to go bad and take out the trionics. i cant own one because i am poor.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
shortlid
AF Newbie

'95 Aero, 5-speed WITH TCS!

Quote:
a really great car if it doesnt have tcs. you just have to be rich to own it because they break constantly. nothing drives like one. super road feel, quiet, good handling for a car that weighs twice what a toyota does. it is fairly easy to work on. some over-complicated systems that have tested my diagnostic abilities on more than one occasion. turbos are solid on them and rarely need replacing. trionic units and di cassettes are another story. boost pressure control valves like to go bad and take out the trionics. i cant own one because i am poor.
Well it does have TCS but I have heard that the '94 on TCS systems are A LOT better thank '92-'93 system! I am not rich either but I do ALL of my own work and have a few indipendant shops with TechII's around me that will diag. for FREE most of the time. Also since I live in New Hampshire there are three junk yards near me with '90's 9000 waiting to be parted out. Helps with part costs!

Now tell me more about this boost pressure control valve or APC valve that can go bad and that takes the Trionic out?? I have had TWO OVERBOOST/Fuel Cut-out situations in second gear and no harm done, YET!!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
mbunakeith
AF Regular

overboost is usually the first symptom of a bad apc/bpc valve. i would replace it pronto. the valve shorts and sends voltage back through the trionic unit. it usually doesnt take long for the trionic to have a heart attack. how you can tell the trionic is junk is if you replace the bpc and it still overboosts.
does your car have the tcs button on the dash so you can turn it off? i remember there being something about a button you could get from saab to make the tcs switchable.
it has been years since i have dealth with a 9000 and it is still a bit fuzzy. these stupid sport sedans are eating my brain tissue away at an alarming rate. i hate them.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
shortlid
AF Newbie

Quote:
overboost is usually the first symptom of a bad apc/bpc valve. i would replace it pronto. the valve shorts and sends voltage back through the trionic unit. it usually doesnt take long for the trionic to have a heart attack. how you can tell the trionic is junk is if you replace the bpc and it still overboosts.
does your car have the tcs button on the dash so you can turn it off? i remember there being something about a button you could get from saab to make the tcs switchable.
it has been years since i have dealth with a 9000 and it is still a bit fuzzy. these stupid sport sedans are eating my brain tissue away at an alarming rate. i hate them.

Yes the '95 9000 have the button to turn TCS off. but if you have a TCS fault you are still in Limp-home mode which sucks!!

The '93 was the year with no switch to turn off TCS if you were stuck in deep snow you were $^^%$%!

I will get a APC valve from one of the junkers in the yeard this weekend!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
mbunakeith
AF Regular

i would get a couple bpc's just to be safe. one may be bad.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
shortlid
AF Newbie

Wink Re: Huge Saab Rant!!!

Quote:
i would get a couple bpc's just to be safe. one may be bad.

One of the wrecked 9000 was a head on so I will get the two from the others. Could rip the one from the rolled over 9-3 there also.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM   #12
stoned_pimp420
AF Regular

well my Saab Will NOT move under it's own power due to the clutch, the last time I drove it my buddies had to push this car up the hills in order for it to get us to the house. I started it the other day and it was in reverse but I didn't even TOUCH the clutch and it didn't even think of moving. I revved it up to about 45hundred RPM and it WANTED to move but couldn't bring itself to do so. Do I need to just push this car into a creek, lake, river, stream, or ditch and consider it 250 dollars lost, 100 for the car and 150 for the turbo rebuilt.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #13
shortlid
AF Newbie

If the SAAB cost you so little why not get a aftermarket clutch kit and put in in yourself?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
stoned_pimp420
AF Regular

because I don't have a lift and all that other good shit that's needed to take a FWD tranny out. That and I've never taken a FWD tranny out, plenty RWD's though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9000