Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #46
Frankenstipe
AF Newbie

Re: HOW TO: Change your serpentine belt on a 95-02 2.2L

Thanks for making this thread, it's really hard to find good info on the Cavalier online.

I had to replace the Water Pump on my sisters 97 Cavalier and now I'm trying to get the serpentine belt on but it just won't go on. I've been trying to wrap it around the idler pulley last but trying to keep the box end wrench on the nut is hard enough with 2 hands let alone 1. I even tried using my dad to hold the wrench down while I slipped the belt on but there's just not enough slack. He said he had it pushed down as far as he could get it but there were hoses in the way. Is there any other way to go about doing this or should we just keep trying?

Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #47
lilredcar22
AF Newbie

Thanks to whoever mentioned belt conf sticker on the hood, was going crazy looking all around the engine compartment. (my belt broke, had no idea of the config). Note: I found it easiest to slip the belt over the alternator pulley while pushing down on the idler. Here's a modified pic, incase anyone is missing theirs and wants to print out another.
lilredcar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #48
sachiel
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb2012
actually I have a 97, now im confused again.
From 95 to 97 te tensor pulley is the idler, 98 to 02 the configuration of the motor change a little by agregating a tensioner and other things (position of the ign coils, fuel injector line, etc.).
the first piture diagram works in 98-02 2.2l engine and the 95-97 is another i have the diagrams if somebody needs, please tell me.
Sorry for my poor english, but im from mexico i hope you cand understand me & i want to be helpfull as posible.
sachiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #49
ballizticbucket
AF Newbie

Re: HOW TO: Change your serpentine belt tensioner on a 95-02 2.2L

ok my belt tensioner bolt came loose and made the tensioner spring unspring. I used a wire with a looped end to hook the springs hooked end and pulled it into place but now I cant get the bolt tightened because there is no room between the frame rail and the popped out front of the tensioner. what do I do? try to get a wrench in there or buy a whole new tensioner and is it possible to replace the tensioner with the engine in the car? please help. thanx, marc e-mail tuffytime@msn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicrocjunkie
With all the false information people are saying about one of the simplist repairs to do... changing the serpentine belt..I have decided to take 30 min and compile all of this usefull info.. This is valad for 95-97 2.2L and 98-02 2200 SFI......

I will even include a color picture to help everyone figure out where there tensioner is, along with naming the other pullys that the serpentine belt rides on... lets begin...

Brown circle- Power steering
Blue circle- Idler pully
Purple circle- Alternator pully
Green circle- A/C if applicable
Yellow circle- Water Pump pully
Pink circle- Crankshaft Pully

and finally...

Red Arrow points to your tensioner.. get a socket wrench w/o socket and place square end into hole or knotch w/e you want to call it and push down to release pressure, and short breaker bar may also be needed to get you more leverage... if you cannot figure out the tensior from this then you need to consult a mechanic or have a buddy lend you a hand. I would be more than willin to help anyone out in CNY.....other printed on the top of your hood is a diagram on how to re weave the belt on the pullys and on the back of some of the new belt boxes..

Note:
Now on the older 2.2l and 2.0 engines the tensioner is the idler pully, GM found out later down the line that it was best to just add a tensioner instead of using the idler... I don't have an exact year of when they changed becuase i have changed them on 96 with the tensioner and i've been gettin some feed back that 97's haven't so... if you the tensioner above use that and not the idler and if no tensioner use the blue circle... idler pully...Note

A serpentine belt is the only drive "belt" not to be confused with the drive chain, that a cavalier has and its also one of the most overlooked very important parts of your vehicle. Without it.. your basically going nowhere.

How do I know when i need a new belt?...

Here are some signs...

~Noticeable deep v cracks
~High pictched squeeling that only gets louder when more time passes

Over the years while driving my cavy, i have notice when the car starts up there was a squeeling noise comming from that part of the engine while the hood was closed so i took note of it and figured it was nothing. But as more time passed it had gotten worse. So i pyhsically inspected the belt and noticed it was dry rotting and had cracks deeper than allowed by NYS state inspection. So it was time for a new belt. When cracks form in the belt it causes the cracks to slide against eachother causing the annoying noise...

What brands are there?

Personally when i buy somthing that you need to be realiable and good quality cheaper isn't better...

Here are some brands i know of...

GM brand.. buy at dealership
Delco
Goodyear gatorback Poly V

All are of quality and serve their purpose.. Delco has a few differnet quality line ranging in price from 17 here in NY up to 27.99 for their POLY V... I personally run the Goodyear GatorBack POLY V since its the quietest belt made( Personal opinion and their sales pitch but so far its has held true)... After tax it was 32 somthing at Autozone... don't buy it from a goodyear Gemni store...they quoted me 60 somthing...

That basically sums it all up... g'luck and no more misguiding info!
ballizticbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #50
Trip84
AF Newbie

I've changed the belt on my 95 2.2 cavalier 3 times. With the tensioner built into the idler pulley, I've found the easiest way to do it, by far, is to save putting the belt on the alternator till last. In fact this is the only way I've ever been able to do the job by myself without a second person.

This last time, though, when I blew the belt, the engine vapor locked. I put new coolant in, but the low-coolant light keeps coming on. Any suggestions?
Trip84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #51
roonie
AF Regular

does anyone have a diagram and tips on how to do a serpentine belt on a 97 2.4lt twin cam. I see they are much different than a 2.2lt
roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #52
wcowell2000
AF Newbie

This car is a pain to change. Take it to a shop and pay the $60 bucks.
wcowell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #53
wcowell2000
AF Newbie

I looked everywhere to. Felt like a moron when I found it.
wcowell2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #54
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcowell2000 View Post
This car is a pain to change. Take it to a shop and pay the $60 bucks.
Seriously? It's one of the easiest FWD 4 cylinder belts to change. But hey, bring 'em in!, I'll take your money and do the job in 5 minutes
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #55
seoinage
AF Newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I am having serious issues with my wife's tensioner on her car. It came apart spring is visible etc. The issue is the fact that I can not get in there to get the bolt undone, because part of the tensioner is in the way, and it won't come off because it hits the frame of the car. I tried removing the spring so I could push this piece back in and get to the bolt but no luck so far. If anyone here can offer me suggestions I would appreciate it. About ready to destroy something. thanks
seoinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #56
1ATony
AF Newbie

Here's a great video that will show you how to change the belt in your Sunfire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UknSxqcguLw
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #57
plcboy
AF Newbie

Thumbs down Re: HOW TO: Change your serpentine belt on a 95-02 2.2L

hi I was reading this article but the gallery address not showing any photo and I think it is a important one. Can you please look into this situation
Thanks a lot
http://files.automotiveforums.com/ga...1724872200.JPG
plcboy is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis