Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
charlesduford
AF Newbie

2005 chevy silverado 5.3 oil comsumption ?

I've been searching all over the web for why my motor would be loosing 2 quarts of oil between oil changes. Today I did my knock sensors. While removing the hose, from the throadal body to the valve cover on the pasanger side, I found it to be cracked up both sides about an 1 1/2". Then apon removing the intake, oil starting pouring out of the throadal body/intake. Lots of oil baked on the inside of the heads too. I'm hoping that replacing that hose fixed the oil problem. Would this cracked hose cause oil to be draged up into the throadal body from the valve cover? Do I have to install a deflector sheild in the valve cover? Is the PCV valve under the valve cover bad and can it be replaced or do I need to replace the whole valve cover?

Last edited by charlesduford; 01-01-2011 at 01:56 AM.
charlesduford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 chevy silverado 5.3 oil comsumption ?

Buy a premium PCV valve ,and add it to your PCV System.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

Yes, the PCV can be replaced and No, you don't have to replace the valve cover or add a deflector shield.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
charlesduford
AF Newbie

In this truck the pcv valve is under the valve cover. Can it still be replaced? Will that fix the oil going into the intake?
charlesduford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

There's a hose coming from the valve cover to the Air duct work going to the Intake. The idea is to cut the hose and add your own premium PCV filter to your PCV system.

Forget about the failed PCV valve in the valve cover.

Caution - Make sure the new PCV valve is above the valve cover, and it's installed in the right direction.

The PCV valve is just a check valve to keep oil in your engine, but allow emission gases to go back into your intake.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
There's a hose coming from the valve cover to the Air duct work going to the Intake. The idea is to cut the hose and add your own premium PCV filter to your PCV system.

Forget about the failed PCV valve in the valve cover.

Caution - Make sure the new PCV valve is above the valve cover, and it's installed in the right direction.

The PCV valve is just a check valve to keep oil in your engine, but allow emission gases to go back into your intake.
on the older pre 2004 engines the crankcase vent on the passengerside goes to the throttle body. the driver side where the PCV is mounted in the rear of the valve cover rubber socket this hose connection goes into the intake..

how is this done with the internal PCV ?

how would you add a PCV ? this would have to set correctly in a vertical position ?if the crankcase has excessive crankcase vapors this caused by a plugged PCV I would take valve cover off and clean/inspect ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
FALCON z
AF Newbie

I had this same problem with my 2005 5.3. I'm not very educated when it comes to engines but in my own words, I found out from the dealer GM have a redesigned valve cover that prevents the oil from puddling up and baking instead of draining back down to where it is supposed to go. I called GM directly and they replaced my value cover with the new one even though it was out of warrantee. I told them that this was a design flaw, so I shouldn't have to pay to have it fixed. They agreed and called my dealer. After the replacement I still had the issue with my first oil change but I think it was due to them not replacing oil after the repair. After the 2nd oil change I didn't get my usual check oil light. So, I think this has fixed my the problem. Hope this helps. At the very least you should get a redesigned valve cover, if you play your cards right when talking to GM.
FALCON z is offline   Reply With Quote