Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Choppers
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:50 AM   #1
knox 000
AF Regular

Pop

just thought i would pop the this threads cherry. i dont have a chopper, thinking of building one eventually. dont think theres going to be a whole lot going on here.
knox 000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422
Re: Pop

Cool, i wanna get a metalic pearl orange chopper some day,............yeah.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #3
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

Love riding all kinds of bikes, especially my Harly's. A chopper never appealed to me for many reasons. Just for curiosity what is it that's makes them so apealing?

Not comfortable, break down more frequently, not good if you really like to ride some miles and don't handle as well.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but very curious.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

I've wondered the appeal of choppers as well... I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching American Chopper (but that's just because Mikey RULES).

Like Rainey said, they aren't comfortable, they don't perform well under just about any task other than sounding loud, the people who ride them end up looking like monkeys b/c their hands are floating through the air.

Basically, I DON'T GET IT.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
wafrederick
Banned

Check state laws too on titling when the chopper is fully assembled.I know the state of Michigan you have to fill out a couple pieces of paper first and get a letter in the mail for an appointment to get inspected at a certain place with paperwork for the parts and engine to get it titled.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
PamzJoe
AF Regular

At least you can spell chopper. ( Harly??!!)
PamzJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Choppers are usually show pieces. To me, choppers are customs. I like the unique ones, the ones that are actually build from scratch. None of that OCC stuff where they order a frame, a gas tank, some fenders, and add a few doo-dads to make it mildly unique. They are bike assemblers, not builders. Same reason I dont like HD's. They all look the same. Ugly saddlebags, fat short gas tank, no flowing lines, ugly windsheild, fiberglass covers over the bars that actually detract from the bike, short wheel base.

I like custom built choppers. They are longer, they have flowing lines, they are art in motion. If its designed right, it can even be comfortable.

Now that Im off my soap box. I've designed my chopper. Plan to build it when I can get the space too. Its curvey, slow, smooth, and flowing.

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

pamzjoe

That's all you could add is that there was a little typo? You we're very helpful and next time I will send you an email to proof read since there's not a spell check on the forum.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rainey
pamzjoe

That's all you could add is that there was a little typo? You we're very helpful and next time I will send you an email to proof read since there's not a spell check on the forum.
Dont try to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
catback23
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
Choppers are usually show pieces. To me, choppers are customs. I like the unique ones, the ones that are actually build from scratch. None of that OCC stuff where they order a frame, a gas tank, some fenders, and add a few doo-dads to make it mildly unique. They are bike assemblers, not builders. Same reason I dont like HD's. They all look the same. Ugly saddlebags, fat short gas tank, no flowing lines, ugly windsheild, fiberglass covers over the bars that actually detract from the bike, short wheel base.

I like custom built choppers. They are longer, they have flowing lines, they are art in motion. If its designed right, it can even be comfortable.

Now that Im off my soap box. I've designed my chopper. Plan to build it when I can get the space too. Its curvey, slow, smooth, and flowing.
OCC is just as custom as scratch, just the diff is other companies make the parts. Really ends up that way anyway if you build your own chopper...Your not really gonna fabricate the frame, forks, wheels, engine, etc etc all yourself. As far as looks go, everyone has their likes and hates just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't look good to someone else.
catback23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catback23
OCC is just as custom as scratch, just the diff is other companies make the parts. Really ends up that way anyway if you build your own chopper...Your not really gonna fabricate the frame, forks, wheels, engine, etc etc all yourself. As far as looks go, everyone has their likes and hates just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't look good to someone else.
OCC is mildly custom. Anybody can pull some parts off the shelf and put together a bike with a little bit of mechanical knowledge. Granted, they do a little bit of custom stuff, but in my mind its not enough for them to be called artists or extreme bike builders. They do a lot of what some amateur bike "builders" do, cut fender blanks, change the gas tank a little bit, and weld on some extras.

Frames are not that hard to build. Its just like building a roll cage. Design it right, and know how to TIG weld and you're ready to build the jig. I can understand not wanting to build a frame because of the ability and precision required to build it. At least build the tank from scratch and a lot of other things.

To me, a bike builder really builds a lot of the bike. Buy what you have to, engine, tires, trans, forks, and some other stuff. Make what you can.

Look up builders like Sollis Janus. A friend of mine that really build some amazing works of art. He build tanks, fenders, seat pans, and the "body" of the bike.

I wont argue with you that everyone has a different taste of opinion for looks. Its true. I'm not going to say that OCC cant build because they're bikes are ugly, because thats my opinion about their style.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
PamzJoe
AF Regular

I got tired of all the bitchin between Sr. & Jr. I quit watching.
PamzJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

I quit watching too. Always wondered if the bitching was scripted for more drama or it's really how they are?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #14
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Rainey
I quit watching too. Always wondered if the bitching was scripted for more drama or it's really how they are?
Its how they really are. I was at a bike show where OCC was. They would not sign autographs, where nearby Billy Lane was signing autographs for anybody on anything. A little kid, probably all of 5 years old went up and asked Paul Sr. and Jr. for an autograph on a napkin, they immediately said no.

Who does that?

Old 06-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

I guess they think they're better than everyone else now that they have a reality show. They are low class individuals who gained instant celebrity status and can't deal with the reality of why they're in that position in the first place. Anyone think Jesse James is a little good for his own britches too?

I guess I'm burnt out on the Hollywood types after being in LA for so long. It is their job and they get paid well to entertain us just like it's a mechanics job to keep our machines going.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Choppers