Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
jeffmorris
AF Regular

MacPherson Strut suspension?

I'm in the process of building a car that is similar to 1982 Oldsmoble Omega in 1/8th scale but I don't know how to design a working MacPherson Strut suspension in Fusion 360. I have 3D printer. I have shop manual and some images for the car but I don't have the real car. If I build it as a RC car, are there parts that I can buy to build the MacPherson Strut suspension?
jeffmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:06 PM   #2
Waynevillalta
AF Newbie

Re: MacPherson Strut suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
I'm in the process of building a car that is similar to 1982 Oldsmoble Omega in 1/8th scale but I don't know how to design a working MacPherson Strut suspension in Fusion 360. I have 3D printer. I have shop manual and some images for the car but I don't have the real car. If I build it as a RC car, are there parts that I can buy to build the MacPherson Strut suspension?
Hello,

Designing a working MacPherson Strut suspension for your 1/8th scale RC car in Fusion 360 is certainly a complex task, but with the right approach, resources, and understanding of mechanical engineering principles, you can achieve your goal. Here's a general outline of the steps you can take:

Research and Understand MacPherson Strut Suspension:
Before you start designing, thoroughly understand how a MacPherson Strut suspension works. Study your shop manual, images, and any available online resources to gain insights into the design, components, and geometry.

Gather Reference Material:
Since you don't have the real car, make sure you have detailed images and diagrams of the suspension components and their dimensions. These references will be essential for accurate design.

Start with Basic Geometry:
Begin by creating the basic geometry of the suspension components such as the control arms, struts, and mounting points. Use Fusion 360's sketching and modeling tools for this.

Design the MacPherson Strut:
The MacPherson Strut consists of a shock absorber or strut assembly attached to a control arm. You'll need to design the strut assembly with a piston, rod, and shock absorber elements.

Model the Control Arms:
Design the upper and lower control arms based on the reference material you have. Pay attention to the angles, lengths, and mounting points.

Incorporate Mounting Points:
Ensure that you accurately model the mounting points for the suspension components on the chassis. These points are crucial for proper functionality.

Simulate and Test:
Fusion 360 has simulation capabilities that allow you to test the functionality of your suspension design. Run simulations to understand how the components will interact and identify any potential issues.

Iterate and Refine:
It's likely that your initial design will need some adjustments. Iterate on the design, making refinements based on simulation results and any deviations from the reference material.

3D Print Components:
Once you're satisfied with the virtual design, export the components for 3D printing. Make sure your printer settings are appropriate for the scale and level of detail you require.

Assemble and Test in Reality:
Assemble the 3D-printed components and test the suspension in real life. Pay attention to how the components fit together and how the suspension behaves when you compress and release it.

Source Ready-made RC Suspension Parts:
Building a functional MacPherson Strut suspension from scratch can be quite challenging. Depending on the level of detail and performance you're aiming for, you might consider using ready-made RC car suspension components. Companies that specialize in RC car parts offer a variety of suspension kits that might suit your needs. This could save you time and effort while ensuring reliable performance.
Waynevillalta is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling