Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
mohawk
AF Newbie

It has happened to me -- But Why???

I've recently traded in my Volvo S80 on a new Honda Odyssey minivan for the wife. By doing so, I took over the 2002 Trooper that she had been driving since we bought in new in 2003.

We've taken good care of the Trooper and I recently "invested" in a new set of Michelin tires and Monroe Reflex shocks. I've also had the Tranny flushed, drained/refilled the diff fluids, switched to synthetic oil, etc.

I've really been trying to baby the Trooper as I plan to keep it for a few more years. The Trooper has been very reliable and everything was working as expected...however, recently I noticed a troubling discovery...oil consumption!

I'm a little pissed and would like to know your thoughts on why this has happened.

Here is what I've done lately....
*At 43k miles, I added the correct amount of Seafoam to the engine
*Drove the vehicle around for 20-30 minutes
*Quickly drained the oil
*Installed WIX oil filter
*Added five (5) quarts of Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic oil (first try at Synthetic oil in the Trooper)
*Also installed new air filter, Chevron Tech fuel cleaner, air pressure in tires, etc.
========================
*At 48k miles, I decided that I would drain the oil again....just to make sure that the Seafoam (and it's crud) had been completely removed from the engine. I know, it's a waste, but was concerned about lingering Seafoam and the debris that it cleaned up.
*Refilled Trooper with five (5) quarts of Mobil 1 Truck and Suv 5W40.
*Installed new WIX oil filter
*Insallled new PCV valve (was going to clean out the EGR for the first time too, but ran out of time--new baby)
*I've been checking the oil here lately and notice each time that there would be less and less oil on the stick. WTF!
*I now how have about 1k miles on the truck now and I'm down at least a quart.

I am trying to decide what has created this unwanted monster! Was it the Seafoam...the switch to synthetic oil...the new PCV valve...a dirty EGR...or was it just time for it to start burning oil (from what I understand, ISUZU considers my situation "normal").

Your thoughts?
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
RupertMoody
AF Newbie

Re: It has happened to me -- But Why???

I honestly wouldn't worry too much, but make sure to add oil when you notice it's low.
RupertMoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
marcre
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to marcre Send a message via MSN to marcre Send a message via Yahoo to marcre Send a message via Skype™ to marcre

clean the EGR system out. Hopefoully that will help. The consumption is the one thing I hate about my Rodeo. It bothers me, not as much as it did when I first got it, but it does. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is check the oil and add more. It is annoying, but not so bad. You may want to switch to a cheaper oil though. You never know, Mobil 1 may be the cause of the added consumption.

Marc

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 SOLD, but not forgotten
My Rodeo
marcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #4
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

I changed to mobile 1 for the first time at my last oil change and notice no increase in oil use (0.5 qt per 3k).

If you are still under warranty (if you are the first owner) you can have isuzu conduct an oil useage test and see if they will install a new engine.

Be happy you know it burns oil and now watch it.

Once a week top it off.

adding one qt of oil is a small cost to pay (but you are correct, it really shouldn't be doing this).

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
marcre
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to marcre Send a message via MSN to marcre Send a message via Yahoo to marcre Send a message via Skype™ to marcre

not to derail the thread, but how do you guys like the synthetic oil? I am considering the switch. I am moving up to a blend for now. I like the idea of synthetic, but I'd be more apt to switch if not for the oil useage.

1999 Rodeo LS 3.2 4x4 SOLD, but not forgotten
My Rodeo
marcre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Mohawk, It could just be because of the oil switching and residual cleaner. See if it levels out. It should. Don't waste your cash on synthetics if usage continues. No sense in wasting $ oil. If usage continues, go with a thicker 40wt oil. 15w-40 is cheap and easy to get.

Marcre, synthetics are awesome if you don't like changing oil every 3-5K miles. I can't stop 'experimenting' with mine . I'm currently running shell rotella-t 5w-40. She lights off in the morning @ close to 0degF with the same force she did on 5w-20 or 5w-30. I'm only at 43Kmi, but it's never really burned any oil. It might use 1qt in 3-4Kmi. I'd like to stick with 5K OCI's.

Joel
Old 02-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
mohawk
AF Newbie

I have thought about this a little more...

No oil useage between 43K to 48K. Added new 5W40 and changed out the PCV. And now I have oil consumption.

Could it be a bad PCV? I went to the local Isuzu dealer and bought a new one (screw in type). Went home and intsalled it. Just basically screwed out the old one and screwed in the new one and re-attached the hose.

Is there more to it than that? How can you tell if you have a bad PCV?
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk
... How can you tell if you have a bad PCV?
A PCV valve is nothing more than a flow metered check valve. You should be able to suck air (vacuum) thru the valve, but not blow air back thru it. If they get gunked up real bad it can keep the check vlv from seating, which can cause oil vapor to be blown into the intake during low vac, open throttle conditions. I rarely replace OEM PCV valves. I pull them regularly, clean them with intake cleaner, test and reinstall. OEM isuzu PCV valves are very good quality.

Joel
Old 02-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
amigo-2k
Isuzu Guy

Pull it and shake it. You should here it rattle.

If you don't hear it rattle spray it out with some carb cleaner (I spray mine out about every 1.5k).

Car Show Tips
Operations manager with a results-driven passion for process improvement
FAQ 98-04 Isuzu Rodeo, Rodeo Sport, Amigo, Trooper

SOLD - NOV2015 - 2000 Amigo, V6, HT winter, ST summer, 2wd
amigo-2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
snap11
AF Newbie

where is the PCV and EGR located on a 93 3.2 SOHC trooper??i need to replace mine but have no ides where it is..
snap11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
Ramblin Fever
AF Enthusiast

I wouldn't run 15w-40 in the winter; but in the summer it would be good. My choice would be 15w-40 Chevron Delo.

Otherwise, for year round oil, change that Trooper over to Rotella synthetic 5w-40, this oil is labeled a synthetic, but is really an ultra purified regular oil suitable for diesel/gasoline engines with heavy detergents.

Personally, I have to wonder if you started using oil because of switching brands, BUT that doesn't mean it'll last forever, it may taper off. Then again, it's possible that that engine doesn't like Mobil 1 - or, maybe it likes it TOO much

I have a truck that's had a life of Havoline, with the exception of a few variables, one of them being Castrol GTX about 6yrs ago when I only had 60-some thousand miles. I remember during that 3k miles that my truck used almost 1 qt, I know that doesn't sound like a lot to you, but on a truck that still doesn't use any oil in 3k miles, that was a lot.

I've never used a 15w-40 in my Isuzu engine, and I'm not sure how much that would effect performance, but it can't hurt to try. Just wait til the night temps are above 30F personally, that's a pretty thick base to get to the top of the engine on a cold morning.

2004 3.4L Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4 Double cab
32" Yoko's, Westin Bull-bar, KC Fogs 60K miles
Ramblin Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
two dogs
AF Newbie

Hi

Just wondering if you are using too thin an oil. Outback Auxtralia here we use 20/60....which I guess you wouldn't use in a US / Canadian winter...
two dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #13
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dogs
Hi

Just wondering if you are using too thin an oil. Outback Auxtralia here we use 20/60....which I guess you wouldn't use in a US / Canadian winter...
You can go thicker. My 2002 3.2L manual specs anything from 5w-30 to 20w-50 is okay based on your ambient temps. It says temps 10degF and above are ok for the 40 and 50wt's.

Joel
Old 02-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
xtreme barton
AF Enthusiast

43k on it and you did all this stuff to it ..

why the sea foam ?

why 10w-30 synthetic ? then a jump to Mobil 1 Truck and Suv 5W40 ?

why did you not just use 5w-30 ?

might as well have a shop do a compression test to see where your at ( or do it yourself but that may not be a good idea )
xtreme barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #15
xtreme barton
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap11
where is the PCV and EGR located on a 93 3.2 SOHC trooper??i need to replace mine but have no ides where it is..

PCV: UNDER HOOD, CENTER, UPPER ENGINE AREA, TOP OF ENGINE,
MOUNTED IN DRIVER SIDE OF FRONT VALVE COVER

not sure on your egr location..
xtreme barton is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Trooper | SLX | Bighorn | Wizard