Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #1
00blackzx3
AF Enthusiast

Exhaust

Ok i was just curious how big the sl and vr4 stock exhaust systems are. Also, i was looking and the borla out of summit for vr4 is 7 something while the non turbo is 850. Why is the non turbo parts more expensive than the turbo? Also, what are the big names in exhaust jobs with 3000gts? New to the game....
00blackzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:34 PM   #2
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Thourun
Re: Exhaust

Borla is my favorite so far also but its expensive as you said. The reason the NA costs more is if you look at the pictures of both you'll see that the NA has some big ass baffles halfway back, the TT dosent need any baffelng becaue the turbos do enough suppression of the noise so its basically straight through.
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Soon:Topline Engineering ground wires.
Thourun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 PM   #3
00blackzx3
AF Enthusiast

and how does this sound? Is a nice deep sound of v8 type roar?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:42 AM   #4
00blackzx3
AF Enthusiast

ttt
Old 12-13-2004, 06:08 AM   #5
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

http://www.vr4stealth.com/borla_install.htm
There is a sound file on the bottom. Keep in mind that thats just the tone, the volume will depend on throttle position and how much restriction you have (cat, downpipe, precats, turbo/manafold/02 housings etc). Frequency will obviously depend on the engine RPM.
Installed: ESP front precat eliminating downpipe, test pipe, RF-1008 K&N, Dejon tool Y pipe, 1G DSM BOV, MSD wires, Guted rear pre cat, ISSPRO EV Marine boost gauge, IPO MBC, EGR blockoffs, Palm m515 dataloger setup, NGK iridium plugs, SPEC stage II clutch 500ft/lb, 5300k HID plug and play setup.

Old 12-13-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
xXxRocker5150
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xXxRocker5150

Hey thourun do you know of any sites with a sound sample for the N/A borla, or is it going to be like not that much of signifficant difference between the N/A and Turbo exhaust sounds?? thanks...
xXxRocker5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:09 AM   #7
Thourun
AF Enthusiast

I've heard they sound real mean but have never heard one myself. Better than a stock VR4 (on a VR4) apparently which is another route for you.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
xXxRocker5150
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to xXxRocker5150

Yea, but I don't wanna loose any low-end torque, and I've got my heart set on the borla ne ways, so I think it's the best way to go... sorry if this turned out to be a thread hi-jack or somthing....
xXxRocker5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #9
Linebckr49
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Linebckr49
you won't gain much hp, if ANY, from a new exhaust. b/c as Thourun said, the VR4 doesn't require much backpressure (backpressure provided by turbos are sufficient), the exhausts will net THEM plenty of horsepower BECAUSE they need to free up the out-flow of exhaust b/c they have forced induction. The NA, however, NEEDS backpressure, and with a free-er flowing exhaust, you will get some sound, but lose low-end torque. if you just want a deeper, more throaty V8 sound, then go with a test pipe. yes, you'll lose some low-end torque, but you'll also gain high-end hp, giving you a greater top speed in each gear. Plus, there's a savings of, oh...about 700 dollars being that test pipes are just about 30-50 bucks. give it some thought, do the math.
K&N | long tube headers | 3sx crank pulley| testpipe | Addco front/rear sway bars (3SX) | rear strut bar & front 3-point strut bar (by JonVr4 on 3Si) | solid motor mounts | LSD insert | KYB GR-2 struts | intrax springs | adj. control arms | ss brake lines | 16% taller 5th gear (teamrip.com) | H4 conversion | push-button start | datalogger | HKS S-AFR | PLX WB O2
coming soon: adj. cam gears | bi-xenon HID retrofit
Linebckr49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 02:01 AM   #10
Im2Fast4U
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
you won't gain much hp, if ANY, from a new exhaust.
uh....... ok?

Quote:
The NA, however, NEEDS backpressure, and with a free-er flowing exhaust, you will get some sound, but lose low-end torque.
AARRRGGHHHH!! Why....!? Igovert, do you see what I was saying in that other exhaust thread? A cat-back exhaust is in NO way going to do away with the needed backpressure and kill hp (assuming you go with piping smaller than about 4") And simply putting a testpipe on and nothing else would be pointless. In fact, that would probably hurt hp because exhaust gases would be flowing faster and more compact through the smaller piping then hit the wider, open tp and slow down and then they would have to go back into the smaller piping of the cat-back, effectively having a bottle-neck effect.

You're not going to lose any real noticeable amount of low-end torque with a cat-back. Don't but a complete system from a company, you can pick up a good muffler and some tips and have a shop run pipes for you and still have great sound, performance and save about $600. I highly reccomend Dynomax. If you free up your whole exhaust, it's true you may lose a little low end torque but you gain it back on the top end. I have 2.5" from cat back to a Dynomax muffler and tips and still have every bit of my low end. (Note: I'm not saying you don't need any backpressure, I'm simply saying it's stupid to think that any minor exhaust modification is going to lose all bp and kill performance. Stay smaller than 3" and you'll be fine all teh way back)

for a clip of a Dynomax on a 3S, check out this thread. It's old and I don't think he has the same setup anymore but it gives you an idea.
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=160276

R.I.P. DAD NOVEMBER 3, 1952-NOVEMBER 25, 2002
I LOVE YOU
Im2Fast4U is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth