Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Camry/Camry Hybrid/Vista
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
87camry1
AF Newbie

Question 87 Camry automatic seatbelts

The automatic seatbelts stopped operating and are locked in the forward position. I cannot find any blown fuses. I can hear a faint arcing/shorting(?) when initially turning the ignition key. In trying to trace the source, I pulled off the cover tray on the console. Does the seatbelt warning module control the seat belt motors or just sense that belts are engaged if the seats are occupied? If so, is the module avaialable aftermarket or dealer only? If not, any other ideas would be appreciated. I have used the Haynes repair manual for years but it skips this section and refers all repairs to the dealer.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
DanM
87camry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
drdaveleister
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to drdaveleister
well i kind of ran into the same thing on my 91, and so did my buddy, and we both kind of assumed that it had to do with the emergency release lever. so we checked that out... didnt get us a whole lot, so we looked for fuses. i didnt find anything at first, but i searched a little bit hard and found an 80 amp fuse for the alternator to the battery that was near death( i didnt replace it then but a few days after it blew and nothing would work). so after it blew, i did some work to see if i had any bad shorts, because its fairly hard to blow an 80 fuse. i regrounded everything i knew of, checked the wiring of the front dash and console, and pulled each and every fuse i knew of, and cleaned them. i also replaced the battery terminals.

i dont know what i did exactly, but after i did all that, my seat belts worked fine. i dont know exactly how that emergency release works, trust me ive tried to find out. but i would imagine that it does affect the motor in some way, in order to release the mechanisims that move the belts to the front of the door safely in case of an emergency. my best advice to you is to check your grounds and terminals first. then rip it apart if it doesnt work. also... do you still hear the buzzer....i could still hear the buzzer on mine, but my friends had no buzzy, and he still to this day has yet to fix it.
9 psi boost.
a magic button (100 shot n02.)
trd suspension.
rally. with naked ladies in the back seats.

02 focus
still planning. but plenty of naked ladies(i wish)
drdaveleister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #3
manyodas88
AF Newbie

above the fuse block under the dash there should be three 30 amp circut breakers ( at least there is on my 88) i believe the top one closest to the firewall is the seatbelt breaker. try switching it with one of the others to see if it's bad. i think if i'm not mistaken tat these are resetable there is a small pin hole to do this. they are quiete expensive also($24) at toyota
manyodas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
87camry1
AF Newbie

Help!

I would appreciate additional suggestions.
I have pulled the console, checked wiring and replaced the seatbelt warning relay.
I tried to trace the wiring back to the fuse block. I have pulled and cleaned fuses and wires. I have tested and swapped the 30A breakers.
The fusible links appear 'brand new'. The links are full and show no signs of oxidation or melting.
I have traced wiring back under dash but cannot locate the automatic seat belt computer. Is it under the dash? If any one knows its location, please provide.
Thanks in advance.
87camry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
ray1
AF Newbie

Re: 87 Camry automatic seatbelts

I had a problem with my drivers side automatic seat belt not working. I removed the drivers side door panel and began to inspect the wiring harness located in the door and found a wire to be broken. I had a parts car that is the same model and used the wiring harness out of it.My seat belt started working after replacing the harness.All I would of had to do was fix the broken place in the other harness and it would have worked just fine.I am going to fix the old harness and put it up in case
I need it some time later.
ray1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:53 AM   #6
Mark A
AF Newbie

The wiring to the door eventually breaks down due to use. It can cause other failures too such as power windows and power locks.
Mark A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #7
Raul Lugo
AF Newbie

a broken wire between the door hinges. the end of this wire is located under the door panel connected to the door lock. there are 3 wire must like it is a light brown one. run a test wire to the inside to find out.
Raul Lugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #8
91 TOY CAMRY
AF Newbie

Ihave Same Problem Driverside Seatbeat Not Working And Dome Light.both With Power Used Test Light I Got The Seatbelt To Work.any Suggestions Thanks
91 TOY CAMRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
nohablaingles
AF Newbie

There's a recall on seat belt retractors. Go to NHTSB site and enter your VIN. You should be able to pull up info. The next difficulty is getting the dealer to perform a recall on a car that old.

good luck.
nohablaingles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
typesix
AF Regular

The recall was for the manual lap belt portion of the system, not the motorized shoulder belt.
typesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
91 TOY CAMRY
AF Newbie

I Got A Dealer To Run The Vin To Old But He Told Me To Bring It In A Tech Can Run It On There Computer For Older Cars. I Tryed Switing The 30a Breakers Didnt Work
91 TOY CAMRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
augie7071
AF Newbie

Had the same problem with my 89 camry. it was the wire haness between the door and body. the auto locks and windows were not working either. took the harness out and 10 wires were broke or nearly broke. I used butt to butt conectors & left the plastic kick panel off to give it more room to flex when the door opens and closes.
Bill
augie7071 is offline   Reply With Quote