Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #1
jawnl
AF Newbie

Unhappy '93 Estate Wagon Air Conditioning

The A/C just stopped working in my '93 Roadmaster Estate Wagon - 190,000 kilometers (120K miles). I've kept her well maintained and runs like a charm. Dealer told me that there is a leak in the A/C system and recommends that if I want COLD I'll likely have to have a retrofit. Legislation requires that the new refridgerant is necessary - therefore the retrofit. Anyone have experience with this situation? I haven't been given a firm quote but I'm told it's very expensive! Any suggestions? Much appreciated in advance...
jawnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
jcwren
AF Newbie

Re: '93 Estate Wagon Air Conditioning

My experience with my Honda CRX I had was that the R-12 substitutes work fine. I had a leaky evaporator coil (or which everone always gets hit by rocks ), replaced it, had it sucked down and recharged with an R-12 substitute that was about $10 a can.

Worked like a champ, and would get cold enough that when you stepped out of the car on a hot day, your sunglasses would fog over.

Seeing as the BREWs of that time used R-12, I don't see why the leak can't be found and repaired, and a substitute used. Some parts are worth buying new (dryers, etc), and some parts I shop for on eBay (A/C compressors, cores).

Find a small indy garage, and not the Buick dealership, or you'll get raped.

--jc
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Roadmaster