Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:52 AM   #46
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need Help: Narrowed It Down To 5...

^I think that the mustang can take turns fine, but then again my pickup out handles them...I say just test drive all the cars you can. Also what cars can you find in your area? Obviously if there are no 240's out there then you might go for the Mustang, or the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
RedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #47
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: Need Help: Narrowed It Down To 5...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerFreak
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies now. I'm still really confused but surprisingly, the Fox Body Mustang looks is kind of growing on me, so it is becoming an option for me. The main thing I have against it is it's handling. I would like to know what it can and can't do? How well can it handle before it's too much? Can it take minor turns at decent speeds or is it meant for PURELY straight lines? Thanks.
oh yeah, the fox body mustang's handling isnt horrible...it just isnt something that isnt all that praisable. you can always just swing the ass around to get around the turns.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:53 AM   #48
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
actually, i would put money on the Z31T to last longer than the 240sx under extreme conditions...and they do last 300k miles with ease. im telling you, for some reason these motors and car last a very long time in good condition. you cant put all old turbo cars in the same category because they are all different. yes, i wouldnt expect a turbo DSM to last 300k miles but i do expect a Z31T to last that long. if i were to keep my Z31, i would EXPECT it to last 300k miles atleast. even if it were turbocharged...if you did some research on the car i think you would be a firm beliver too, instead of just saying because its turbocharged means it cant last long. so not true...
I don't think you're reading what I wrote properly. I know full well how strong the Z31T's motor is, and I don't doubt that it can last 300K miles, but (this is the important part) it's not going to be easy or cheap, and it's going to require more maintenance to get it and keep it in that kind of shape than the 240SX is. Certainly more than five grand.

Quote:
for what its worth, when hot version was doing the touge battle. they had tuner shops bring in their shop cars to race on the mountain. keichi tsuchiya was praising how well balanced this DC2 type R was and it was an actual track car with no interior. they put that car against a mildly tuned S14 K with a full interior, and bolt ons, and suspension tweeks of course. tsuchiya was sure he was goin to win in the type R, but when the S14 was tailgating the type R and the more tsuchiya tried to push the type R harder, and harder, it started plowing harder and harder, and the S14 took it both on the uphill and the downhill with ease ( from cornering, not straightline )
Well, it's no secret that one of FWD's main cons is that it isn't meant for longer races. Since you have one set of tires doing two jobs, that set is going to wear out much quicker. I'm sure what happened is that the Type R's front tires started to overheat long before the S14's tires did, and therefore, it started falling behind. However, in shorter races, or races where you don't have to constantly push the car so hard, the Integra Type R is a champ. I'm sure that doing a few hot laps around, say, Tsukuba or Suzuka, an Integra Type R could keep pace with an S14 K's.

On a side note, it just dawned on me why MR is supposedly the best layout. What is FF's main advantage over FR? You have more weight over the driven wheels. What is FR's main advantage over FF? You have each set of wheels doing only one job. What is MR? A combination of both advantages.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:08 AM   #49
GamerFreak
AF Newbie

Okay, thanks. I think I may go with the Mustang just one quick question. I noticed that the MPG is horrible (Something like 18) and I was wondering if there is someone to increase the MPG? I know that it's a sports car and that they're going to use lots of gas so it's completely understandable if there's no solution. I was just curious. Thanks.
GamerFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:59 AM   #50
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
I don't think you're reading what I wrote properly. I know full well how strong the Z31T's motor is, and I don't doubt that it can last 300K miles, but (this is the important part) it's not going to be easy or cheap, and it's going to require more maintenance to get it and keep it in that kind of shape than the 240SX is. Certainly more than five grand.
i dont think your reading what i wrote properly. i dont think a Z31T will cost anymore money than a 240sx in repairs...
all as you have to do is look through autotrader. everytime i look at autotrader i see...

240sx - good body, blown headgasket
240sx - great body, needs engine work
240sx - decent body, needs transmission work

Z31T - needs body work, runs great
Z31T - body OK, runs excellent
Z31T - needs body work, runs awesome

i think in the long run a Z31T is NOT gonna cost much more money, if at all, to maintain than a 240sx...and your getting a lot more car for the price.

right now, it would be hard to find a good conditioned 240sx at a decent price but on the other hand, beings the Z31T doesnt have bandwagon behind it...you can pick up a low mileage, great conidition...for about the same price as an average conditioned 240sx.

basically, i was just making the point that the Z31T should not be forgotten in favor of a 240sx. it should not even be put in the same category in my opinion...i love the 240sx to death but without a good chunk of money into the engine, it is nothing to talk or brag about.

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I think I may go with the Mustang just one quick question. I noticed that the MPG is horrible (Something like 18) and I was wondering if there is someone to increase the MPG? I know that it's a sports car and that they're going to use lots of gas so it's completely understandable if there's no solution. I was just curious. Thanks.
there is nothing you can really do to increase MPG significantly...except keep your foot out of it. but 18mpg is about as good as it gets...

companies claim that intakes and other stuff increases MPG, like that tornado thing...but if it does increse MPG it is nothing that would leave extra money in your wallet.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #51
GamerFreak
AF Newbie

Okay, thanks guys. Still trying to decide yet so nothing is final...
Old 05-28-2005, 01:35 PM   #52
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
i think in the long run a Z31T is NOT gonna cost much more money, if at all, to maintain than a 240sx...and your getting a lot more car for the price.
Well, consider this. How many Z31Ts are there in the US? And how many 240SXs are there in the US? Which one has a bigger community and more aftermarket support? Though the Z31T's small community may enable you to find one for the same price as a 240SX, parts are harder to come by and more expensive, and there isn't as much information readily available about them. It's a lot easier to find a local 240SX meet than it is to find a local Z31 meet, that's for sure.

Quote:
right now, it would be hard to find a good conditioned 240sx at a decent price but on the other hand, beings the Z31T doesnt have bandwagon behind it...you can pick up a low mileage, great conidition...for about the same price as an average conditioned 240sx.
I've seen many great condition S13s sell for $3,000 or less around here. The ones that you see with transmission or engine problems have been abused to hell, and shouldn't be selling for much more than $1,000. A lot of people will ask more than that to try to cash in the 240SX hype, but a smart buyer can get a great S13 for $3,000 easily.

Quote:
basically, i was just making the point that the Z31T should not be forgotten in favor of a 240sx. it should not even be put in the same category in my opinion...i love the 240sx to death but without a good chunk of money into the engine, it is nothing to talk or brag about.
I'm glad that you love the 240SX to death, but unfortunately, I don't. I find the car pretty bland in comparison to other RWD sport compacts, such as the Miata, the MR2, and the RX-7. I'm just saying that it's the more sensible choice here, by far. He's looking for a fairly quick but still economical street car, not a sports car. You are right that the 240SX and Z31T are in different classes, and I believe that the 240SX is the class of car that he is looking for.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:21 PM   #53
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Well, consider this. How many Z31Ts are there in the US? And how many 240SXs are there in the US? Which one has a bigger community and more aftermarket support? Though the Z31T's small community may enable you to find one for the same price as a 240SX, parts are harder to come by and more expensive, and there isn't as much information readily available about them. It's a lot easier to find a local 240SX meet than it is to find a local Z31 meet, that's for sure.
yes, 240sx has by far a better aftermarket support...but it is still not gonna net you anything worth talking about with spending cash on a turboed engine or turboing the KA. and being able to meet up with a bunch of 240sx's around town is more of a reason to keep alot of us from buying that car. im sorry but i wouldnt buy a lesser car because thats what everyone else has.
also, in most areas there are Z meets...but yeah your right, your probably not gonna be able to meet up at a local mall parking lot and sit around and shoot the shit with a bunch of Z31 drivers like you will be able to with the 240sx.

Quote:
I've seen many great condition S13s sell for $3,000 or less around here. The ones that you see with transmission or engine problems have been abused to hell, and shouldn't be selling for much more than $1,000. A lot of people will ask more than that to try to cash in the 240SX hype, but a smart buyer can get a great S13 for $3,000 easily.
exactly, $3000 is way overpriced for an S13, in my opinion...for $3000 you can get a good condition Shiro Z31. i wouldnt pay more than $1500 for an S13 when there are so many other cars out there you can get. hell, if you know what your doing, you could pick up a N/A Z32 or 3000gt for $5000.

Quote:
I'm glad that you love the 240SX to death, but unfortunately, I don't. I find the car pretty bland in comparison to other RWD sport compacts, such as the Miata, the MR2, and the RX-7. I'm just saying that it's the more sensible choice here, by far. He's looking for a fairly quick but still economical street car, not a sports car. You are right that the 240SX and Z31T are in different classes, and I believe that the 240SX is the class of car that he is looking for.
hey i dont really know what he wants..i was just bringing to his attention that you can get more car for the same money.

and yes, if i was in his position, i would definitely be looking for a nice FC3S TII....but i dont think that is what he wants or needs at this point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
with all this said, if i were in your shoes, i would get a Z31T but i think the best option, for you, may be the mustang. but that is only if they arent a dime a dozen in your area...some areas i go to i never see one and then in others i see many.

you can make the 5.0 a beast with minor upgrades...and if your not taking it to the track, it will handle just fine. parts are cheap, easy to find, and aftermarket is huge.

you also start out with alot more car. the only way i see this not being a good choice, is that iw will be hard to find one that hasnt had the shit ran out of it. which means there will be problems...but this car is so wide spread that i think you will be able to handle the cost of repairs pretty easy.

plus it is a good car to learn about cars...
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #54
GamerFreak
AF Newbie

Thanks guys. One quick question, K3, why would you be looking at the FC3S? I just want to make sure I've looked at all of the options and found which one is best for me.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:11 PM   #55
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

I know why I'd be looking at it: because it looks awesome, handles phenomenally, and has an undeniably cool "uniqueness" factor, thanks to its 13B rotary engine. I also know why I'd never buy it: sky-high repair bills (unless you're able and willing to rebuild the entire engine yourself every 30,000 miles or so, and even then, parts are costly), iffy reliability and build quality (especially the electrical wiring and the interior bits), and too many rabid fanboys who don't understand the car in the least bit.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #56
GamerFreak
AF Newbie

Okay, thanks. Yeah, I just thought I heard wrong at first because I also heard it was really unreliable. Thanks. I think I'm still at 3 cars, the 240SX, Z31T, and the Mustang. All of you guys proved some really good points so I still can't decide. I decided to make a thread for just those 3 cars. So...admins, feel free to lock this one.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:31 AM   #57
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks guys. One quick question, K3, why would you be looking at the FC3S? I just want to make sure I've looked at all of the options and found which one is best for me.
i would be looking at a FC3S because of what kman said about the rareness, rarity, and track ability.

i would like to add that it can make tremendous amounts of power with little modification and it likes to be romped...

plus i have a couple other cars so i wouldnt need to worry about it being reliable. but i understand that you do need a reliable car...in that sense the FC3S would not be your best choice.

it will have minor problems here and there...i dont know about the engine being rebuilt every 30k miles but it doesnt last as long as most motors. you should probably expect to rebuild it every 100k...it last a little longer than the FD3S rotary but i wouldnt expect it to last much longer eventhough some people have them lasting 150k+.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
Old 05-29-2005, 02:49 PM   #58
mrgofast21018
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mrgofast21018

what happened to the crx and the del sol? regardless of the drivetrain layout, the performance and reliablility of these cars cannot be denied. the crx is probably the lightest car of the aforementioned group and in being so woulds also have the greatest potential for a good power/weight ratio. its your car, but i think you do yourself a disservice by choosing a car strictly based on drivetrain layout.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:15 PM   #59
GamerFreak
AF Newbie

Good point but it just seems that there are other options that are better at the moment. Oh yeah, Coheed and Cambria suck. I hate emo.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:39 PM   #60
mrgofast21018
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mrgofast21018

its not emo, and it doesnt mean jack. and i dont understand how anything could be a better option. crxs are cheap as hell, light as fuck, and have endless moddability. the only thing wrong with it is the fact that its fwd. sounds lame to me....

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons