Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Forra
AF Newbie

Passat illness

Hi, i have a 2004 1.8t passat, its engine check light does not come on but all the other lights are working in the dash. It crancks the engine but wont start and the sparks is poor. I already replaced the cranck/speed sensor but still wont work
Forra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: Passat illness

You'll have to go through your whole ignition system and figure out why the spark is weak. Start with the plugs, if they have more than 10,000 miles on them, get new ones. If not, clean them up with a non metallic scrub brush, also check the gap and make sure it's within spec. Next, the plug wires. Test them for continuity and check for corrosion on the connections at both ends if they're bad, you'll need to replace them as a set. Next check the coil and make sure you're getting the right voltage. Also if I'm not mistaken there was a recall on coils for some '04 Passats, find out if yours is on the list. Then the ignition module itself. Check all the connections including the grounds for corrosion.
Just keep going until you get the good strong spark you need. Anything past the plug wires won't be cheap.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat