Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 11:18 AM   #121
1BAD305
AF Regular

i worked at a nissan dealer and drove 350z's, maxima's and 3.5L SE altimas all the time, needless to say this "350z" has nothin on my 89 iroc, my 89 iroc has nuthin on an ls1, maybe out of the hole to the 330 or 1/8th. the 350 is quick but just doesnt have that torque that makes u go into the seat, i took one up the street first into 2nd gear and i wasnt impressed, my car felt stronger when it was bone stock. the other thing i dispise is the interior, it feels like a death trap, very crowed and hard to see out of the damned thing. maybe the ls1 and 4.6L guys should be the ones ignoring the little nissans?
Old 06-05-2003, 11:23 AM   #122
1BAD305
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Uh, why do you guys even bother racing F-Bodies/Mustangs? I mean...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pick

Umm......You have a 285 horse Camaro. right? The 350Z is 280 horse.
Now, the Camaro weighs approximately 300 pounds more than the 350Z. And if I'm not mistaken, the rule of thumb is 10 horses per 100 pounds. That's 30 horses. I realize that the Z28 has a good bit more torque than the 350Z, but consider the torque curve. The power of the 350Z VQ series engine(I would know, as I have one) is best after about 3500-4000 RPM. The torque in the LT-1 is around 2500-3200 RPM and may lag a bit after that. What that means is that the Camaro will have more spin off the line, then it will get pulled on by the later torque of the VQ. That=smoked Camaro

As for handling, we all know that the Z handles better, so lets not argue. Lower platform, stiff, but not too stiff suspension. Not built just to go into a straight line. Performance brakes, suspension, etc.

I'm not hating on F-body's because I love them, but I agree that there is no reason for a 350Z driver to risk his neck on anything short of a new WS6 Trans-am.
the 93-97 LT1 fbodys started otu with 275hp, in 97 the SS was optioned with 305hp, the ls1s are a totally differnt beast and if ur going to compare a high 13 low 14 second nissan to a high 12 to low 13 ls1 ur gonna see that SS/T/As tail lights get smaller and smaller as it pulls from ya. remember horsepower sells cars, torque wins races, the 350z might have 280hp but it certaintly doesnt have the torque of an LT1 or and definitly not the potent ls1.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #123
Pick
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Uh, why do you guys even bother racing F-Bodies/Mustangs? I mean...

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD305

the 93-97 LT1 fbodys started otu with 275hp, in 97 the SS was optioned with 305hp, the ls1s are a totally differnt beast and if ur going to compare a high 13 low 14 second nissan to a high 12 to low 13 ls1 ur gonna see that SS/T/As tail lights get smaller and smaller as it pulls from ya. remember horsepower sells cars, torque wins races, the 350z might have 280hp but it certaintly doesnt have the torque of an LT1 or and definitly not the potent ls1.

I don't think a 350Z can beat an LS-1. I think that it can beat any Z-28, however. You stated that torque wins races, and that is my point exactly, The torque of the VQ35 engine comes at the right time to win the race. THe LT-1 gets an early jump, then the VQ eats it up after that. A good race, but I still say 350Z in the end. BTW, the 280 torque of the 350Z can be partially made up by it having 300 lbs. on the LT-1.

Also, are you sure you worked at a Nissan dealership and drove Z's, because most Nissan employees would know that the 350Z is 287 horse. I made a mistake, and I'm beginning to doubt your 'not as strong as my 305' spiel

Last edited by Pick; 06-05-2003 at 01:46 PM.
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 01:48 PM   #124
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BAD305
i worked at a nissan dealer and drove 350z's, maxima's and 3.5L SE altimas all the time, needless to say this "350z" has nothin on my 89 iroc, my 89 iroc has nuthin on an ls1, maybe out of the hole to the 330 or 1/8th. the 350 is quick but just doesnt have that torque that makes u go into the seat, i took one up the street first into 2nd gear and i wasnt impressed, my car felt stronger when it was bone stock. the other thing i dispise is the interior, it feels like a death trap, very crowed and hard to see out of the damned thing. maybe the ls1 and 4.6L guys should be the ones ignoring the little nissans?
Are you kidding me? "Doesn't have the torque to put you in the seat." It has a 280 torque VQ engine. I have 205 torque and I can plant myself into the seat. The VQ plays a lot bigger than its displacement. Its a strong little motor. You should know that.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:28 PM   #125
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
Quote:
Originally posted by jak112460
Somebody on this thread actually had the nerve to cut down other cars then admitted owning a M3. Let me tell you about the M3. The newest generation M3 has had to have the first years cars recalled due to oiling failures that have caused hundreds of complete engine failures. It was so bad that BMW has extended warranties. I owned a 2002 M3, paid for in cash, for about four months. What a dog!!! The car is good looking but gets lost in the crowd when lined up with its competitors in its price range. Heck my Mini Cooper S gets more looks than my M3 ever did. I own a brand new 2003 ZO6 that is supercharged and is getting a 427 stroker motor installed as we speak. That ZO6 does everything that the M3 does ,except blow up, and does it better. On top of that you cannot upgrade the horsepower of the M3 to any great extent. That little inline 6 is at its limit. My "crappy" Corvette can be upgraded to make over 600hp and still drive with the AC on. I suggest that before anyone flames another car that they look at what they drive first.
That made little to no sense. The M3 is not a dog. It may not be as fast as you want but its certainly not that. Why in the world would you buy a Z06 to put a stroker into it A stock C5 would have been a much better choice. I don't like to scream bullshit on the newbie very often but putting a supercharger on a motor just to swap it out is wastfull even for the filthy rich.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 06-05-2003, 03:38 PM   #126
jak112460
AF Newbie

Because you are a F&(*&%^$^%kin idiot I will enlighten you. The M3 is a dog. I bought the ZO6, which it isn't any of your business why, because I like the hard top look better and I didn't want to buy a used car. I made the post to make the point that you shouldn't flame other guys rides when your own is suspect. The supercharger is going on the 427 motor also. It's not a waste and it's not for you to decide if I'm spending my money the you would.
jak112460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 03:47 PM   #127
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Because you are a F&(*&%^$^%kin idiot I will enlighten you. The M3 is a dog. I bought the ZO6, which it isn't any of your business why, because I like the hard top look better and I didn't want to buy a used car. I made the post to make the point that you shouldn't flame other guys rides when your own is suspect. The supercharger is going on the 427 motor also. It's not a waste and it's not for you to decide if I'm spending my money the you would.
Really?

What size pulley are you running and what kind of supercharger is it?

And also, how much did the 427 cost? I'm interested.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:04 PM   #128
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:

woaa..take it easy on yogs...his concerns were legitimate...and he did not flame you...he is one of the few guys in this forum that never flames anyone.....

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:37 PM   #129
jak112460
AF Newbie

I can't say the cost of the supercharger because Vortech made a deal with me to use my car. The pulley was sized to make approx 6psi with the stock 5.7 motor. Now that Iam going with the 427 we are going lower compression and more boost. The blower will have to be changed out to accomidate more CFM needed.
The guy who flamed me, was questioning why I would bother buying a ZO6 when a C5 coupe would be much cheaper. The ZO6 is stiffer to start with and I think the hard top look is better. That's my opinion. My ZO6 has been tubbed to accomidate 19x12.5 rear wheels and 345/30/19 Pilot Sport tires. When the car gets out of the dyno I will try to post numbers.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:04 AM   #130
FYRHWK1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FYRHWK1
cant say the cost, heh, thats rich, the pulley was sized to make 6 psi? thats lower then the LOWEST stock vortech system for a LS1, and that still didnt answer his question of the actual pulley size.
FYRHWK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #131
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I can't say the cost of the supercharger because Vortech made a deal with me to use my car. The pulley was sized to make approx 6psi with the stock 5.7 motor. Now that Iam going with the 427 we are going lower compression and more boost. The blower will have to be changed out to accomidate more CFM needed.
The guy who flamed me, was questioning why I would bother buying a ZO6 when a C5 coupe would be much cheaper. The ZO6 is stiffer to start with and I think the hard top look is better. That's my opinion. My ZO6 has been tubbed to accomidate 19x12.5 rear wheels and 345/30/19 Pilot Sport tires. When the car gets out of the dyno I will try to post numbers.

Sorry dude, but you got some explaining to do. The Vortech supercharger's
stock PSI is WELL over 6, plus you don't even know what size pulley you are running.
As for the 427, what is the displacement of the motor? ANd what is the stroke?
Old 06-06-2003, 08:47 AM   #132
jak112460
AF Newbie

Because you are obviously trying to question my inegrity I will have you call the people doing the tuning on my car. Cerra Racing 309-793-3278. Vortech makes many different blower units for different applications. There isn't one only that makes over 6psi. The supercharger I have is a complete package with aftercooler etc. It's made for the LS6/LS1 motor. Slightly lower psi for the LS6 because of compression ration. The 427 is a common setup. Go to MTI.com and they offer this as 422. The stock block cast in cylinder sleeves are cut out and Darton replacement sleeves are pressed in and then bored to the desired size. I assure the motor being done for my car is 427cid and the blower originally put out around 6psi. The new set up will do about 10 psi but with lower compression. If you are going to question somebody and imply they are full of shit then at least check for yourself first to see if what is being said is possible. You could simply go to Vortechs site and find out about the C5 blower kit. Then you can go to Cerra and talk to them. Simply call and ask if they are doing a blown 427 setup fro Jeffs car. Ask for Mike and if he isn't there then ask for Chris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-022s.jpg (37.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 06-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #133
Pick
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Because you are obviously trying to question my inegrity I will have you call the people doing the tuning on my car. Cerra Racing 309-793-3278. Vortech makes many different blower units for different applications. There isn't one only that makes over 6psi. The supercharger I have is a complete package with aftercooler etc. It's made for the LS6/LS1 motor. Slightly lower psi for the LS6 because of compression ration. The 427 is a common setup. Go to MTI.com and they offer this as 422. The stock block cast in cylinder sleeves are cut out and Darton replacement sleeves are pressed in and then bored to the desired size. I assure the motor being done for my car is 427cid and the blower originally put out around 6psi. The new set up will do about 10 psi but with lower compression. If you are going to question somebody and imply they are full of shit then at least check for yourself first to see if what is being said is possible. You could simply go to Vortechs site and find out about the C5 blower kit. Then you can go to Cerra and talk to them. Simply call and ask if they are doing a blown 427 setup fro Jeffs car. Ask for Mike and if he isn't there then ask for Chris.
Ok, that's all I needed. You presented some really sketchy facts.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons