Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 07:45 AM   #1
93speed
AF Enthusiast

Alarm

I was wondering what you all would suggest for a basic alarm to protect the stereo equipment inside my 93 Accord. I've already had one HU stolen earlier this year IN BROAD DAYLIGHT and AT SCHOOL. I'm not too worried about the whole car gettin stolen since it's 100% stock, has quite a bit of rust, has 167,000 miles on it, and the fact that there are about 3-4 other 90-93 accords that look muuuuch better to a theif. Do you think an alarm would even be worth it?
Thanks for the advice
93speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:32 PM   #2
xivera
AF Enthusiast

DEI, Compustar...

I have an Avital (model circa '96) myself and it has done good for me ever since...
The only thing that I forgot to add was actual insurance for aftermarket stuff because if a thief really wants your sh*t, he will get your sh*t.
Trust me... My older Hyundai was broken into 3 times! (They always went for the pull-out Pioneer cassette radio... and a Radio Shack booster! )

... knocks on wood...

Your first mod = HELMS MANUAL!!!
xivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 06:46 PM   #3
sparq
AF Premium User

Send a message via AIM to sparq
Any BASIC alarm that offers insurance is good Excalibur makes some basic alarms with like $3000 protection policies. Hell thats your $500 deductable plus anything inside the car that gets stolen... well worth it in my opinion.

Also, remember that a CAR ALARM is NOT going to protect anything on the inside of your car... any pullout headunit ~ which almost every single headunit on the market today is designed for, can be stolen with those two metal "tabs" that come with your headunit... in the time it takes for you to even realize "gee im 100ft away from my car alarm and I think thats my alarm" ~ someone has busted your window, opened your door and taken your headunit and left... its that easy.

Keep an eye out as I will be writing up a security FAQ along with a car alarm install guide which might help some of you out.

RIP AUNIE
sparq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 10:19 AM   #4
93speed
AF Enthusiast

Do you have to have proof of full coverage insurance to get that protection money? I don't have full coverage since it would out weigh the price of my car and everything inside in like a year and a half.

I found a Avital 2200 alarm at best buy for $199 INSTALLED.
Heres the ad Best Buy Ad (PDF Format)
And heres the specs http://www.avital.com/products/ap_av22.htm

The thieves around my area are looking for the easiest stuff to steal. I think an alarm would make them think twice about messing with my car when there are 100+ easier cars in my school parking lot which is where my first HU got stolen.
93speed is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio