Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
moliva1568
AF Regular

Timing chain

i went to carquest to get a timing chain set for pontiac 7.5L 455 (catalina). they wanted $121 for the set, chain and gears. i knew this sounded weird so i declined. on the rock auto website they have sets starting at $22. summit has them starting at like $35. i don't need a performance type set. just a plain one which will last a good amount of time. i see some state "original true roller" and have different types of sprocket material. some say heavy duty and others say double roller. how do i choose? keep in mind that i'm no mechanic so i need something that i won't have to worry about other than at mileage interval checks. also, rock auto has my engine as W or Y. the 5th vin # is a y. should i look under Y parts? what does it matter.

thank you

Last edited by moliva1568; 10-16-2009 at 12:01 PM.
moliva1568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Timing chain

Ah, I love reading about the Carwash Catalina

I have used basic, cheapie timing sets with no problem. The only thing to avoid are Nylon or nylon-coated gears. Nylon is used to reduce gear noise, but is not always durable in the long run.

All-steel gears are more reliable and, to my ear, make no more noise than the nylon ones.

Most stock-style timing sets use a Hy-Vo chain, which look a bit like a cogged belt made form steel, like this (click here). They work well, and usually last the life of the engine.

The 'roller' chains look like a double row of bicycle-type or motorcycle-type drive chain. In theory, they provide more accurate valve timing but are more expansive than the Hy-Vo type.

However, many cheaper roller chains are not 'true' roller, in that the cog bars do not have a rolling collar on them and are no better than, and sometimes worse than the Hy-Vo type.

Imo just get a basic Hy-Vo type with all-steel gears and you will be fine. Chances are, the W or Y block will take the same set.

BTW, why do you want to change the set? These chains will last at least 100,000 miles and usually, 200,000++++ miles.

EDIT: I checked out rockauto, and the W and Y blocks both use the same cheaper chains, so either listing will do.
Either the Cloyes set ($22) or the Sealed Power set ($30) will do.

The Cloyes is all steel according to the pic, although $22 is alarmingly cheap for a timing set.

There is no pic for the Sealed Power one. If it's all-steel too, it may be a better quality set, at least judging by the price. Call them and see, if possible.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
moliva1568
AF Regular

the waterpump has to be changed and it's my understanding that the chain is right behind it so it might as well be changed too. preventative maintanence??
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliva1568 View Post
the waterpump has to be changed and it's my understanding that the chain is right behind it so it might as well be changed too. preventative maintanence??
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400
Yes, good idea. I do the same thing.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
moliva1568
AF Regular

ok thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
moliva1568
AF Regular

the timing chain should arrive tomorrow and i was thinking about giving it a go myself to save some money. as a serious amateur, do you advise against it? if i go for it, any tips or specific tools i should have? thanks
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile 6.0) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400
Old 10-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
moliva1568
AF Regular

i plan on having my cousin assist me with the timing chain and waterpump tomorrow. I did not get a timing chain cover gasket set. is it absolutely necessary to have that or will a silicone gasket suffice? i'm worried the local auto parts store won't have it in stock but i don't want to do a half ass job and risk damage either.

thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
MagicRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliva1568 View Post
i plan on having my cousin assist me with the timing chain and waterpump tomorrow. I did not get a timing chain cover gasket set. is it absolutely necessary to have that or will a silicone gasket suffice? i'm worried the local auto parts store won't have it in stock but i don't want to do a half ass job and risk damage either.

thanks
Did you get the timing chain set? Sometimes they come with a gasket.

It's best to use a real gasket for the timing chain cover for 2 reasons.

1. Sometimes a silicone bead can shed bits of extruded silicone inside the engine. These bits may eventually partially block the oil pick-up screen.

2. Sometimes the silicone bead can lose adhesion and squirm around a bit, allowing oil to start leaking. This is most prevalent on oil-sealing gaskets, imo.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
moliva1568
AF Regular

the set came but without any gasket. luckily, the auto parts store has it so i'll just pick one up. thanks

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical