Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

how to seperate the trans from the engine

I have a 1993 sentra 5 speed with the 1.6 GA16de engine. I'm changing the engine cause its blown. The engine is out. I need all the information I can get on removing the transmission from the engine. How many bolts are holding the transmission in? Should it be in a specific gear? I took out prehaps 6 bolts holding the engine and transmission together and it still won't come out. I could be missing a bolt or two so Ill have to recheck. Anything else I can do? Am I doing something wrong? Here is a poor video for you to see. Its dark so I'm sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_cEAkJqys
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Blt2Lst
AF Enthusiast

Re: how to seperate the trans from the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWhoKillz View Post
I have a 1993 sentra 5 speed with the 1.6 GA16de engine. I'm changing the engine cause its blown. The engine is out. I need all the information I can get on removing the transmission from the engine. How many bolts are holding the transmission in? Should it be in a specific gear? I took out prehaps 6 bolts holding the engine and transmission together and it still won't come out. I could be missing a bolt or two so Ill have to recheck. Anything else I can do? Am I doing something wrong? Here is a poor video for you to see. Its dark so I'm sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z_cEAkJqys
You really should get a service manual for your particular vehicle.
It would really help you out on this project IMO.
1996 Suzuki RMX250

I'm a victim of circumstance [
Blt2Lst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blt2Lst View Post
You really should get a service manual for your particular vehicle.
It would really help you out on this project IMO.
Well the book say,
"remove all transmission bolts
then carefully remove the transmission from the engine"
...it never says how to remove it. Anyways, I used a screwdriver and a hammer. Now I got another question for everyone. I think I'm missing a spring for my transmission. There is a ring that goes over the input shaft. Turning the lever that works the clutch pushes the ring out but nothing retracts it back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPRA1CwoqPI
Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

The round doughnut shapped part you picked up is called the release bearing.
You need to replace that, with a new one before you put things back together.

It sits between the fork (the bit you flipped up and down) and the clutch. It pushs against the clutch to release it.
The clutch works like a spring to return it to its resting position, and the tension between the two holds everything in place.
The release bearing will have little pins, or cut outs that fit over pins or cut outs on the fork. But they will only locate the release bearing against the fork, not lock them together.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

If the transmission bolts are out, you just need to put a little muscle into it. It doesn't matter what gear its in. The transmission mates to the engine on locating dowels. They are fat pins that fit into holes in the tranny bellhousing so that it always goes together perfectly centered. Those are steel and the bellhousing is aluminum, so they tend to corrode.

What is important to mention is that you shouldn't pry on one side of the bellhousing. The opposite side pin will still be in the bellhousing and the bellhousing will crack. If you want you can carefully get a screwdriver in between them and go tiny little distances at a time, but they need to come off those pins together.

If they're really badly corroded, use a punch to hammer them in or out a little bit to break that bond.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post
The round doughnut shapped part you picked up is called the release bearing.
You need to replace that, with a new one before you put things back together.

It sits between the fork (the bit you flipped up and down) and the clutch. It pushs against the clutch to release it.
The clutch works like a spring to return it to its resting position, and the tension between the two holds everything in place.
The release bearing will have little pins, or cut outs that fit over pins or cut outs on the fork. But they will only locate the release bearing against the fork, not lock them together.
Is that something autozone carries or does one have to go to a junkyard for that. I still don't see how its supposed to work. I'm sure it retracts but I figured there would be a spring that does it. Is the realease bearing supposed to be on the inside between the transmission and forks or outside closer to where the engine would be? Certainly that realease bearing isn't all that is pushed against the clutch is it? The shaft in the transmission I'm assuming shoots out also, engaging the clutch and flywheel? However, the shaft isn't shooting out. I fail to see what it is I'm not doing.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

Old 10-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Under normal operation the release bearing doesn't move very far forward. So it won't slip off the end.

The input shaft (comes out of the gearbox) is fixed, and slides into the clutch plate.
The clutch cover has a large spring in it that puts pressure on the plate, pushing it against the fly wheel.
The clutch cover is bolted directly to the flywheel, over the clutch plate.
So the plate is directly connected to the g/box and cover is directly connected to the engine.
The only thing connecting the g/box to the engine then is the pressure from the clutch cover against the clutch plate.

The release bearing works against the clutch cover spring, removing the pressure on the plate, which seperates the connection between the g/box and engine.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #9
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

What would be your method of getting a transmission back on an engine?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical