Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #16
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: Is Flushing Transmission neccessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishalah
As good as Redline claims its products to be, the safest and most proven fluid by far is the Mopar recommended ATF. After having to rebuild my T&C trans because I did a flush/change with Castrol+3 I choose to believe the Chrysler people. Don't take a chance by using something else.

I switched to Redline fluids in my ZR-1, and after experiencing some rear gear and tranny "problems" I did more research and found that the ZF manufacturers were seeing trannys that had switched to Redline with problems, too. They recommend only the GM or Castrol (same as BMW) fluids for their 6 speed manuals trans. The performance builder that set up my new rear also did not recommend Redline. Not saying Redline isn't ok, but sometimes the hype is more than the real thing.
Mishalah
10-4 on that
Good old dealer OEM parts and fluids will only hurt one time.
Aftermarket stuff can bite you many times.
MT
Old 10-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #17
ktk3438
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
The 15K service is only on servire service.
Regular service is 30K and 60K
Check your owners manual.
Your 98 came out with 7176 Transmission fluid but.
Cry is changing ships in the middle of the ocean on going from atf+3 to atf+4 trans fluid.
There is a TSB out on it. All newer trans have it already in them and they recommend changing and using it in a lot of the older ones to it.
TSB 21-004-04 transmissions March 16 -04
Your dealer should furnish you with a copy of it.
I think the ATF+4 is full synthetic fluid.
I have changed my personal town and country van 4 speed auto over to it and it did help improve the shifting.
I cannot say it will help all of them but keep it in mind and that is what cry recommends.
But cry has a patent on it and you may have to get it at the dealer.
It will mix with the atf+3 so you can just add it with a filter change or flush the trans out and put all atf+4 in. your choice.
MT
Also a new gasket out.

DATE: Sep. 03, 1999
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 21-05-99 DATED
MARCH 5, 1999 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS
ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDE ADDITIONAL PARTS AND
MODEL COVERAGE.

SUBJECT:
Reusable Automatic Transmission Oil Pan Gasket

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin announces availability and installation of a reusable
automatic transmission oil pan gasket.

MODELS:
1989 - 1995 (AA) Spirit/Acclaim/LeBaron Sedan
1989 - 1993 (AC) Dynasty/New Yorker/New Yorker Salon
**1989** - 1993 (AG) Daytona
**1989** - 1995 (AJ) LeBaron Coupe/LeBaron Convertible
**1989** - 1994 (AP) Shadow/Shadow Convertible/Sundance
1990 - 1991 (AQ) Chrysler Maserati TC
1989 - 1995 (AS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
1990 - 1993 (AY) Imperial/New Yorker Fifth Avenue
1993 - 1995 (ES) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (FJ) Sebring/Avenger/Talon
1996 - **2000** (GS) Chrysler Voyager (European Market)
1995 - **2000** (JA) Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze
1996 - **2000** (JX) Sebring Convertible
**1993 - 2000 (LH) Concorde/Intrepid/New Yorker/LHS/Vision/300M**
1996 - **2000** (NS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager
**1995 - 2000 (PL) Neon**
**1997 - 2000 (PR) Prowler**

DISCUSSION:

A reusable silicone gasket has been developed to replace the RTV
method of sealing the automatic transmission oil pan. Due to more
frequent Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) change intervals and the
possibility of the fluid foaming if it comes in contact with uncured
RTV it is recommended that this gasket be used in all applications.

NOTE: THIS GASKET CAN BE REUSED UP TO THREE (3) TIMES.

PARTS REQUIRED:

**1 05011113AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 31TH**
**1 05011114AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 42LE**
1 05011115AA Gasket, Transmission Oil Pan, 41TE/AE

I think the interval would depend on driving. All city, go with 15k filter change. I also think if Redline is AT LEAST as good as cry's +4, then what could it hurt.

Besides, Instead of listening to Chrysler one more time, who has had way too many transmission problems over a LONG period of time, I think I'll stick to the guy who has a better reputation, and is well known for his expertise all across the country.

When chrysler rebuilt my trans the first time around, it didn't last very long, nor did my brothers 4 transmissions they rebuilt for him in only 40k. If Chrysler had a better reputation, I might be willing to follow thier advice, but they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to transmissions, let thier track record speak for itself. If they tell NOT to use anything but thier own +4, I will do the opposite because they are idiots when it comes to that. I can only assume when they tell me that, that they only want me to buy it from them out of greed.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Caravans, but I'm got awefully tired of being stranded because they did nothing about the issues they had with trannys.

Thanks, but I'll stick to someone who has been 1000% more successfull then Cry is.
ktk3438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
ktk3438
AF Newbie

Quote:
I think the ATF+4 is full synthetic fluid.
And if I'm not mistaken, Cry's ATF+4 is "SEMI" Synthetic, which are never as good as fully synthetic.

That's what I hear from my local Dodge dealer, but point me in the direction on the web that specifies that it is full synthetic, so I can know the truth about it.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #19
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktk3438
And if I'm not mistaken, Cry's ATF+4 is "SEMI" Synthetic, which are never as good as fully synthetic.

That's what I hear from my local Dodge dealer, but point me in the direction on the web that specifies that it is full synthetic, so I can know the truth about it.

Thanks
What difference does it make if full Synthetic or not?
If you want to search the web on it go ahead.
Cry has spend millions of dollars developing the best fluid for there transmissions and millions of cry transmissions and people are using it.
Also cry has had some transmission problems along with all of the other major car co.
But if you will notice they learn from there mistakes and cry and other car makers have made a lot of trouble free transmissions in the past and present.
And a lot of it has to do with the proper service and the use of OEM type transmission fluid.
Cry says to use the ATX+4 in most of there transmissions.
If you do not want to use it it is your choice.
But I would not steer other people away from using the oem type fluid made for there car.
Good Luck
MT
Old 10-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #20
RIP
AF -Advisor

I've been on this forum about two years and have heard hundreds of complaints about the transmissions on these vans. Many suggest using this or that fluid or additive. Some suggest installing an additional cooler no matter what your driving style. I've tried to find a common thread throughout all of these and just can't find it. So why are so many having problems?

Maybe my transmission was built on a Tuesday. I've got a 96 GC 3.8 ltr with the 41te tranny. Bought it new in Oct 95. It now has 191K miles on it and the tranny has not as much as hickupped. I never added a cooler. I suck out 3 qts of ATF3 fluid every year and have changed the filter twice. Had to remove it at 175K miles for a leaking forward pump seal. The mechanic at the tranny shop said the guts had little wear and looked great. I know people that have GCs, Vs, and T&Cs and don't recall any of them having a transmission problem. Some even tow campers, boats, etc.

Do I have a point? Maybe just that though it seems some do have transmission issues, there must be thousands that don't. I wonder why? Logic says that if so many aren't having problems then the design is not at fault. That leaves us, our driving habbits, and the maintenance care we take. Any thoughts?
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #21
ktk3438
AF Newbie

Quote:
What difference does it make if full Synthetic or not?
If you want to search the web on it go ahead.
Cry has spend millions of dollars developing the best fluid for there transmissions and millions of cry transmissions and people are using it.
Also cry has had some transmission problems along with all of the other major car co.
But if you will notice they learn from there mistakes and cry and other car makers have made a lot of trouble free transmissions in the past and present.
And a lot of it has to do with the proper service and the use of OEM type transmission fluid.
Cry says to use the ATX+4 in most of there transmissions.
If you do not want to use it it is your choice.
But I would not steer other people away from using the oem type fluid made for there car.
Good Luck
MT

You asked - "What difference does it make if full Synthetic or not?" If it makes no diffrence then why did you feel the need to put it on your post? Just extra baggage you decided to add? What else should I ignore from your post that might not be important?

Cry trannys are crap it's that simple. Better today? I don't know, but if you look around they were the worst at resolving any of it. YES, othe MFG.s did have trouble, but was it to the extent that Cry did? Geez, Cry trouble started in at least 1989, and lasted at least into 1999, maybe more.

I'm not here to steer anyone, the original poster asked advice, and I gave my opinion, he/she is welcome to use it any way they see fit. It's up to them to decide, and through forums like these, and hopefully it will help them find what makes THEM happy, not me.

I gave my opinion, and you countered it, so why should your opinion be allowed, but mine should be squashed? Am I the only one on this forum to have another opinion of something?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP
I've been on this forum about two years and have heard hundreds of complaints about the transmissions on these vans. Many suggest using this or that fluid or additive. Some suggest installing an additional cooler no matter what your driving style. I've tried to find a common thread throughout all of these and just can't find it. So why are so many having problems?

Maybe my transmission was built on a Tuesday. I've got a 96 GC 3.8 ltr with the 41te tranny. Bought it new in Oct 95. It now has 191K miles on it and the tranny has not as much as hickupped. I never added a cooler. I suck out 3 qts of ATF3 fluid every year and have changed the filter twice. Had to remove it at 175K miles for a leaking forward pump seal. The mechanic at the tranny shop said the guts had little wear and looked great. I know people that have GCs, Vs, and T&Cs and don't recall any of them having a transmission problem. Some even tow campers, boats, etc.

Do I have a point? Maybe just that though it seems some do have transmission issues, there must be thousands that don't. I wonder why? Logic says that if so many aren't having problems then the design is not at fault. That leaves us, our driving habbits, and the maintenance care we take. Any thoughts?

10-4 on that RIP
Hard to figure out.
I have noticed some years have a few more problems than other years.
My own first one in 89 a 3l 3 speed automatic lost the rear end bearing under warranty.
Thet had cheap jap bearings oem.
Warranty replaced bearings and it ran over 250K.
Day end and out working on them there is no set pattern of failure.
Early 90's was a bad year or two then around 96 or 97 a couple of more weak years.
But as you say many people do not have any problems.
And other car makers have the same thing on there transmissions.
In my opinion they try to save money an get ahold of some inside transmissions parts that do not hold up good.
One little 2 dollar part or bearing can blow the hole transmission.
But proper service is always the key to less transmission problems.
MT
Old 10-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #23
RIP
AF -Advisor

ktk3438 - Please don't ever take anything personnally on this forum. No matter what you say, there will always be those that disagree. It's just a fact of life. As you said "it's up to them to decide". Your info is there for all to use as they see fit. Best to leave it at that.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:20 PM   #24
ktk3438
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP
ktk3438 - Please don't ever take anything personnally on this forum. No matter what you say, there will always be those that disagree. It's just a fact of life. As you said "it's up to them to decide". Your info is there for all to use as they see fit. Best to leave it at that.
Thanks, consider it left.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM   #25
RIP
AF -Advisor

MT - "But proper service is always the key to less transmission problems". That makes perfect sense until you find somebody who doesn't lift a finger to maintain the tranny, has 150k plus miles, and doesn't have problem one. They are out there. I guess one thing we can glean from those folks is these trannys can sometimes take quite a bit of punishment. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #26
jmiles_97_lumina
AF Newbie

if it was me, i'd just drop the pan change the filter and top it off, with 2 1/2qts and the rest with lucas tranny

if it was me...

Lucas Transmission Fix

Lucas Transmission Fix is a non-solvent formulas that stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Use in any transmission for preventative maintenance.Use also in light duty manual transmissions to increase shifting ease and transmission life.
Key Benefits
  • Contains no solvents
  • Lowers operating temperatures and stops foaming
  • Can be added to existing fluid without draining any out
  • Effective in an extremely high percentage of cases
Packaging
jmiles_97_lumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 AM   #27
mishalah
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles_97_lumina
if it was me, i'd just drop the pan change the filter and top it off, with 2 1/2qts and the rest with lucas tranny

if it was me...

Lucas Transmission Fix

Lucas Transmission Fix is a non-solvent formulas that stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks. Use in any transmission for preventative maintenance.Use also in light duty manual transmissions to increase shifting ease and transmission life.
Key Benefits
  • Contains no solvents
  • Lowers operating temperatures and stops foaming
  • Can be added to existing fluid without draining any out
  • Effective in an extremely high percentage of cases
Packaging
For more info about the claims of Lucas additives you need to look at this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

For more info about lubricants of all types and brands you need to look at the home site: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

For discussions about lubricants and aditives of all kinds you need to use this link: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

And, here is a long thread fro the BITOG forum that discusses Amsoil, Redline, Supertech, and other ATF use: http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=0#Post523259

Spend some time on this site and you'll begin to see why using the manufacturer's recommended fluids is usually better and cheaper than taking a chance on what someone else claims will do better.

BTW: most tranny problems are caused by poor maintenance and poor driving habits. All the changes and best fluid in the world will not save a fwd tranny from the most common abuse of jackrabbit starts and constant hard throttle. And, yes....an extra oil cooler is a big help in high heat areas. Dirt kills, heat kills, and abuse kills these trannys.

Oh, yeah...the WRONG fluid kills 'em the fastest.
mishalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #28
vipergg
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktk3438

Thanks
I know the aftermarket ATF+4 is full synthetic , at least the Valvoline version is , says right on the bottle.
vipergg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:11 AM   #29
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipergg
I know the aftermarket ATF+4 is full synthetic , at least the Valvoline version is , says right on the bottle.
Yes ATF+4 is a synthetic based fluid.
But one thing to watch for on aftermarket ATF+4 transmission fluid is to make sure it has the right friction modifierin the fluid for your transmission.
Cry ATF+4 does have the right friction modifier for the OEM cry transmission clutches.
Also the CRY ATF+4 will mix with the CRY 7176 fluid used in pre 2000 years.
Cry has a TSB on changing a lot on 95 to 00 years over or just adding TX+4 to the ones thaat have 7176 /ATF+3 fluid in them.
A rebuilt transmission may have different clutches that may require or can use a different transmission fluid.
If a transmission has been rebuilt with different clutches and lockup clutch go with the fluid that the rebuilder says to use.
But on a oem cry transmission that calls for ATF+4 it is best to use the cry oem ATF+4 stuff.
MT

This site has some info.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/fluids.html

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager