Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Camaro SS or Mustang Cobra
Camaro 76 59.38%
Mustang 52 40.63%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 04:44 PM   #31
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Not to offend blacksnake, but a Camaro will also come out on top in max power. But if you like stangs, go ahead! (Its hella better than a Civic :hehehe: )

And if you treat your car well, it will go almost forever! Especially if you love your car and treat it good
Old 12-05-2001, 06:34 PM   #32
Cannabis
AF Regular

Actually how you treat it doesn't matter much either. Look at my sister's Accord LOL.(BTW she is getting rid of it ASAP) It is all luck on how reliable the car is. BTW I hate all camaro's because of there looks, well actually I like the 1960's camaro's, but would still get a Firebird over a Camaro, and a Mustang over both because of a weak chassis on the F-bodies, and don't argue with me here, I have been in a hard driven 1995 v-6 stang with 120,000 miles(no problems), and a 1997 v-6 camaro with 70,000 miles. Guess which had more rattles, and guess which was driven on much better roads. The mustang was in a colder climate with worse roads(Indiana), and the Camaro was in a warm climate with very decent roads(Texas). The Camaro is also driven by my aunt, and she drives like a puss.
Indica
Old 12-05-2001, 06:39 PM   #33
hakka
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by blacksnake98
It dyno'd right around 270 rwhp & 270 rwtq several months ago. I have made a few more mods since, so I'm hoping for close to 300rwhp/tq. I'm waiting for a nice cool day to go to the dyno. Over the summer, it was right around 90 degrees, and really humid. So far, my best time is in the low 9's in the 1/8th. I have absolutely no traction what so ever. My trap speeds are pretty good, but my 60' times are horrible. I even had my last three runs video tapped to verify my lack of traction. It looks and sounds just as bad on video as it does in the car. I have to launch at no more than 1800 rpm, or I just blow the tires off. I'm sure driver error has something to do with the times as well, since I have only done it a couple of times. 6 runs total to be exact. Anyways, those are numbers. Nothing to brag about, but there not that bad I guess.
I have traction problems in my '79 vette, too. It has around 500ft-lbs of torque at the crank, with pretty skinny tires....I spin all through first and some of second (it only has three speeds) if I launch at around 2000K then go WOT. I usually have to feather it all through first or just launch in second. Man, I need some slicks
Old 12-05-2001, 06:59 PM   #34
Chris
Oldie

Perhaps I should rephrase: If you dont get a lemon, then how you treat your car matters. (I've seen people put on huge amounts of boost, then wonder why their rings and head gasket go , so I am going to probably end up rebuilding an engine fairly soon, if all goes well)
Old 12-05-2001, 07:05 PM   #35
SledgehammerVette
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SledgehammerVette Send a message via Yahoo to SledgehammerVette
The Camaro SS more power, and IMHO better looks.

4DRSpeed.com Is Here!
Old 12-06-2001, 09:19 AM   #36
LiuBei
AF Regular

Now first about the weight thing, I can't remember right off hand, but I'd imagine someone was riding with me at sometime or another. Besides those kids probably had stikers on their cars that gave the car an extra 5-100 HP, depending how big the mouth of the kid was. And I know that no one leaves their cars stock nowadays, but I have seen 5.0L's beat newer LT1 Camaros. Hell Its mostly about who is driving also. DIDN'T mean to offend anyone just a little "well my dad can kick your dad's A55" car bashing. Don't take me too seriously, for that would be your first mistake. Just out causing my little shenanigans, HOORAH
Old 12-14-2001, 01:58 AM   #37
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
The only thing better for the Camaro its is performance; it´s faster. But I really wouldn´t sacrifice the reliability, quality, comfort, roominess, great styling, safety and long life of the Mustang Cobra for a 5mph (don´t know exactly, but certainly not impresively more) faster Camaro SS.
Anywise that´s what most people thinks, if not look at the sales of both car? hmmmmm wich one was goin bye bye??? :evillaugh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mustang roush stage 3.jpg (74.7 KB, 695 views)
Old 12-14-2001, 02:19 PM   #38
Chris
Oldie

Car and Driver recently said the camaro had a way better ride/handling/power/seats/pretty much everything than a stang. They were confused as to why it was dying. And so am I
Old 12-14-2001, 03:07 PM   #39
blacksnake98
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Car and Driver recently said the camaro had a way better ride/handling/power/seats/pretty much everything than a stang. They were confused as to why it was dying. And so am I
I will agree that the Camaro will make more power from the factory, you are looking at 350c.i.d. as opposed to 281c.i.d. But as far as ride, handling, seats etc., I think those are debatable. As far as why they are doing away with them, it's probably because they don't sell that well. And we all know, that it's about making money, and if your making it hand over fist with the Impala, Silverado's etc., why do you need the F-body?

1991 LX - 8.36 @ 83.13...1.82 60'
Shooting for 8.10's or better w/ stock heads, a shit cam and a factory production intake.

Old 12-14-2001, 03:14 PM   #40
Chris
Oldie

What I should have said was that the F-body has fewer sales, but thats confusing. And as we all know, GM has sold its soul to "marketing", and "brand management". They are shooting themselves in the foot
Old 12-17-2001, 06:04 PM   #41
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85
cobra is a sweet car and well it also has 1.1 liter smaller engine and its just as fast....so a little tuning and you can make it fly just the same as a comaro....

driving in both of these cars....both cheapy looking inside but camaro is more comfortable even thought eh mustang is a TRUE 2 seater
Old 12-18-2001, 09:24 PM   #42
Smoothsailor
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Smoothsailor
the Ford Mustang cobra is slower in a straight line i.e.(dragstrip) but the Cobra beats the Camaro SS around a racetrack i.e.(curves) the Cobra handle better. the base price for a camaro is 22,295 whereas the base price for a cobra is 28,605 slighlty deceptive because if you opt for a SS you will be paying 30,00 grand.

i used to hate chevy but now i dont...i jus think they are dumb...the camaro SS and the base corvette are to close in price and to close in performance for the camaro to be successful...i will sorely miss the camaro...because that is a really love hate relationship.

a Stock Camaro SS WILL not do 12 1/4 mile time im sorry but that just wont happen(power:weight)...that would make it faster than who the corvette.
the camaro feels like the rear end will come around even if you are going straight. girls car?...you need ppl to buy car or they will be cut from production....the only girls car i know of is any car on the road....shit the car is fast. the mustang is a ppl car men and women love they any they are buying them way. Ford knows that most ppl dont leave their mustangs alone......insurance rates are high enough.
Old 12-18-2001, 09:36 PM   #43
hakka
AF Enthusiast

I have watched a stock Camaro SS run a 12.8 at a dragstrip. The strip is at sea level and conditions were pretty good that day, low 70s and low humidity. This was the same day I saw a stock '02 Z06 run a 12 flat. GM tends to underate F-Bods, it has to preserve the Corvettes image as the high performance flagship.
Old 12-19-2001, 12:50 AM   #44
JBL85
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to JBL85
woooow those are low times.....i believe it, but damn

i would buy american over italian if I was going all for drag
Old 12-21-2001, 10:01 AM   #45
pharcide
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to pharcide Send a message via AIM to pharcide Send a message via Yahoo to pharcide
no comparison

the new cobras and i don't mean Rs either, go 0-60 in 4.8 sec. that woops a camero even a SS... try to compare it to a corvett wich cost like 12k more and is only .2 sec faster in 0-60 times

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons