Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #16
Emtronics
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Emtronics Send a message via Yahoo to Emtronics
Re: chrysler goodwill

Sorry about the spelling, finger slipped. Shoot me. I agree with what you posted but I voiced that same opinion on another thread and was shot down. I also said; "Hey! If you have millions of them out there, then you will hear about the bad ones the loudest." Still, when it comes to those KIA's and that other junk, Honday (I know, not spelled right, but on purpose this time) well I guess you're right again.

P.S. I fixed it. The spelling error, that is.
Emtronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:09 AM   #17
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

unfortunately there are multiple posts by alliez concerning this whole shindig, and I don't have time to look through all of them everyday.

I'll keep my darn Chrysler minivans 'til they tell me I can't dirve them anymore. They were the first, the best, and still are, regardless of Consumer Reports' sniveling and total anti-Chrysler sentiment (i don't know how the PT ended up a "best buy" last year though....).
Ever notice that everybody's always happy to report all the defects and life-threatening hazards with these minivans (the latest is the seatbelts, again...) and virtually nothing about how you can drive one from DC to Key West and enjoy every single comfortable minute of the ride.... and not a minute of trouble the whole way either, for the last 7 years in a row.

Why do so many people put the transmissions in them when they go bad?
WE LIKE THEM.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:36 AM   #18
Creative
AF Newbie

Re: Re: chrysler goodwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantsixness
I'll keep my darn Chrysler minivans 'til they tell me I can't dirve them anymore. They were the first, the best, and still are, regardless of Consumer Reports' sniveling and total anti-Chrysler sentiment (i don't know how the PT ended up a "best buy" last year though....).
Thats great So long as you don't end up like alot of 41TE owners do, I don't have a complaint about there standard tranny YET....

Quote:
Ever notice that everybody's always happy to report all the defects and life-threatening hazards with these minivans (the latest is the seatbelts, again...) and virtually nothing about how you can drive one from DC to Key West and enjoy every single comfortable minute of the ride.... and not a minute of trouble the whole way either, for the last 7 years in a row.
Well if people didn't point out about the life threating hazards of these and other cars/vans/trucks the auto manufacture would do nothing to fix it.... Maybe you'd like to explain that to a few kids about why they can't see there parents any more, (( or Visa-versa )) Cause some big boss at the DamilerChrysler think's $0.28 USD is to much for a double latching mechanisim on there doors ...... Some thing to think about when your kids fall out, was that whole Quarter and three pennies, two much to ask of them ???żżż And the Seat belts ?? Ya they don't work with out a peice of expanded foam ((( Another cost saving of only what $1.80 )) ... But you know if you throw in a pair or Ricarro seats in Kia you can drive from the DC to Key west, in comfort with out leaving your differnetal on the ground behind you, knowing your seat belts work and wondering if the kids might fall out the door or not (((( And yes dodge used duct tape to hold there doors shut during testing so that goes to show they know where the problems are ...To bad RED GREEN can't fix mine and other trannies with a bit of duct tape .. 3M to the rescue )))) And other simple thing's like Nitral o rings on there fuel injectors ((( just goto any burn ward if you think this is not a problem, they'll fill you in on what a few liters of fuel burning can do to some one ))) Oh what was that a cost saveing of about $3 .....

Funny how your life in the eyes of dodge is adding up to what $5.08 .....((( And what's even worse is 99.999997% of people would easyly pay this much and more to live )))

I payed more then that for the LED sign pointing out problems in this and other dodge products ........

Quote:
Why do so many people put the transmissions in them when they go bad?
WE LIKE THEM.
Well it's not like you can just drop in a TH350R and expect it to work they are build for the 41TE and only the 41TE ........ And there are people out there that get lied to by there auto dealer, looking to make a quick sale, and they know there will be another tranny sale in what 3 to 5 years so thats a extra $1000 + in labor for them ..((( And yes they can wait that long to make a sale ))) ... Oh and there's people that can't afford another newer van ....

Oh and there's people like me who just won't give up till dodge pays for there mistakes, Not because "WE LIKE THEM" but because "WE BELEIVE ONE SHOULD PAY FOR THERE MISTAKES" and the funny thing is, so do the courts and dodge has lost several claims.................

Some thing to think about if you have a problem with this or other common defects, Take it up thru small claims, and look for some major class action suits (( There peeling paint is one example And dodge LOST ......))

Creative ....................................

CreativeMod@hotmail.com
Creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 12:07 PM   #19
crash8168
AF Enthusiast

I ran one of those to nearly 200,000 miles without any problems with the 4 speed automatic.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #20
Emtronics
AF Newbie

I ran one for 93,000 with no problems other than a water pump....my second one ran with 75,000 with no problems other than an oxygen sensor and a vent motor lever that broke which prompted me to trade it anyway for a new '04.....
Old 05-17-2004, 07:35 AM   #21
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Creative,

You mithpel things wen ur agnry.

I've NEVER had to spend ONE THIN DIME, or a quarter and 3 pennies for ANYTHING safety related on any of my vans. And they were ALL fixed, correctly by different dealers.
This is my third van (604/41TE) and this one's at 115K, with not one glitch from the trans, and the last two went to 150K and 210K before I sold them, and still no trans trouble (both were 604's).
Mind you, I do know these trans' are crap. but I've had more trouble with "other peoples vans", and intrepids than on any of my vans.

You think DC is the only one, and has the most problems? court cases? Think again.
Even down to the peeling paint.... and I've had 3 vehicles repainted for free by CC. 1 van 1 truck, 1 car. (It was my bad idea to have them all the same color.)

Also:
You've obviously never driven a KIA 'Sardina' minivan.
go test drive one. Really.

Slantsixness
Old 05-17-2004, 09:26 PM   #22
mnwalleye
AF Newbie

Transmisson issues

After reading numerous post on the issue of failing transmissions on these vans, I'm wondering if a high percentage of these vans are used under heavy conditions such as towing heavy trailers? I'm no transmission expert but I'm wondering if poor saps like me might avoid future transmission problems a bit longer by avoiding conditions that seem to wear them out prematurely.

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter on my 98 Grand Caravan and didn't notice any metal debris but you do get a fine wear material in the bottom of the pan and on the magnet. This wasn't really hard to do and it's so cheap, I might do it once a year. I did use the RTV Hi-Temp sealant instead of the gasket being careful not to use too much and it's not leaking. I also let it dry overnight before filling the van back up with the ATF-3.

good luck!

mnwalleye
mnwalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #23
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Lead-foot soccer mom's and dad's.

I don't think... well, if people do it's pretty stupid, but you can't tow much with these vans at all, and I wouldn't recommend even trying it....
... but maybe that would explain why so many people are having these trans problems. I do know that abusive driving (as in the opposite of careful) will kill these vans...

I don't like the RTV, at whatever temp...
If anybody's listening, the ATF+3 is REALLY F@#$ING IMPORTANT. Don't use ANYTHING else.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:15 PM   #24
who fan
AF Regular

I have heard that these transmisions have seleniod paks that go bad. A cheap fix thats mistaken for more serious problems. Also many owners /mechanics use the wrong trans fluid. Dextron use to be the universal fluid for everything NOT SO ANYMORE! I have a 99 Voyager trans leaks in sub freezing temperature I just add to it like checking the oil.
who fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #25
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Yes, the solenoid packs go bad, but it's the ATF+3 that breaks down that causes the packs to sludge up. Still the solenoid packs are commonly mis-diagnosed and the whole trans is rebuilt instead. Smetimes, they don't replace the solenoid pack and some poor schmuck drives off with a $2K rebuilt tranny that still has the same problem!

Old 05-25-2004, 09:14 PM   #26
who fan
AF Regular

Would the new ATF+4 be better? Thats the new reformulated Chrysler Fluid isnt it?
who fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:02 AM   #27
slantsixness
AF Enthusiast

Is the +4 for FWD transmissions? I guess so, but I was under the impression it was for the RWD trans's.

I haven't heard much about +4, maybe somebody here can enlighten us all, but, nonetheless, I'll keep using +3 until I find out differently (and run out of it!).
Old 07-02-2004, 03:53 AM   #28
mishalah
AF Regular

I've read that the +4 is much more protective, but isn't compatible with the seals on some trannies. I want to know more about the "flammable" comment by Creative regarding +4.

BTW: just to make you all feel better, the trannies on the Honda Odysseys are falling out like green recruits on a 110 degree marching pad. And, they cost approx $5K to rebuild. So much for Honda reliability and ultra high resale prices.
mishalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:34 AM   #29
Emtronics
AF Newbie

Ya know....I asked my mechanic about that flammable tranny fluid in Chrysler's. He said; "So? They are ALL flammable!"

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager