Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 09:12 AM   #1
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

I will be installing an overhead console with fuel mpg, compass, temp, and homelink in my 2003 Grand Caravan SE with Standard A/C. I ordered the Service Manual CD from Chrysler.com in hopes that it will help with the wiring. Does it contain the wiring diagrams?
So far, I have determined that I will need the temp sensor (56042395)
and possibly wiring harness 4869258AC. I plan on fabricating my own wiring.
The Chrysler/Dodge Service and Parts Departments are of little help.
What do I need to make the console fully functional on this van?
njcbaumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #2
booda20
AF Newbie

When you get things figured out, could you let us know what was involved?
Parts needed, part numbers etc?

I am looking to do the same thing pretty soon. I will post anything that I run across too!

Jeff
booda20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #3
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by booda20
When you get things figured out, could you let us know what was involved?
Parts needed, part numbers etc?

I am looking to do the same thing pretty soon. I will post anything that I run across too!

Jeff
I will provide whatever information I find. I should be getting the console sometime before 01-01-04.
So far, I found out that wiring harness 4869258AC costs around $50. I plan on using the power from the dummy console, creating my own wiring for the temp sensor which is about $33 from Chrysler, cheaper from dodgeparts.com but with shipping it is almost a wash.
I may settle for just the compass and outside temp.
I am guessing that I can tap into the fuel sending unit wires for the fuel consumption, but without providing the distance traveled (odometer) and maybe the speed, instant fuel economy and average fuel economy will not be obtainable.

I would rather live without those functions than risk damaging the computer.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Jim.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #4
gforster
AF Enthusiast

There is more to it than tapping into wires. The whole trip computer is run by the Body Control Module and will require a new BCM and A DRB scanttool to reprogram. I think it would be more headache than it's worth.
gforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #5
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforster
There is more to it than tapping into wires. The whole trip computer is run by the Body Control Module and will require a new BCM and A DRB scanttool to reprogram. I think it would be more headache than it's worth.
Thanks for the update. I guess it doesn't suprise me that the intelligence for the fuel/mpg statistics is not stored in the console itself. I am still guessing/hoping that the compass and temperature functionality is stored in the console. I will be happy if I can get the outside temp, provided I purchase the temp sensor and wire it into the console. The console I will be getting has homelink as well, so at least I should pick up a storage compartment, homelink, and hopefully outside temp and compass.
My backup plan is to get an auto dim mirror with compass and temperature.

Do you know if the temperature and compass are stored in the BCM as well?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-21-2003, 11:00 PM   #6
gforster
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcbaumann
Thanks for the update. I guess it doesn't suprise me that the intelligence for the fuel/mpg statistics is not stored in the console itself. I am still guessing/hoping that the compass and temperature functionality is stored in the console. I will be happy if I can get the outside temp, provided I purchase the temp sensor and wire it into the console. The console I will be getting has homelink as well, so at least I should pick up a storage compartment, homelink, and hopefully outside temp and compass.
My backup plan is to get an auto dim mirror with compass and temperature.

Do you know if the temperature and compass are stored in the BCM as well?

Thanks,

Jim
That sounds like a reasonable assumption that the compass and temp are handled by the o/h console electronics, I have a 96 Grand ES that has all that but I never use the mpg stuff anyhow, I will add that the mileage computer is very accurate though, and Distance To Empty automatically updates when you gas up. That alone is a very neat feature. I wouldn't say the whole thing is impossible - it sounds like you know your way around electronics. What I would do is check out the junkyard for a full load and strip it - BCM, overhead console, and most importantly the whole wiring subsection. Look closely as your van may even be prewired for this, that would be a sweet plug n play thing. You would however need to have the module reflashed with your vin # and mileage, and the other options on your van. Like I said before it's a lot of work, but if you get the stuff on the cheap, it might be worthwhile. Have you looked in the service manual for diagrams of it?

Regards,
Geoff
Old 12-22-2003, 12:05 AM   #7
gforster
AF Enthusiast

Hi Jim -
I just checked the alldata site and your'e in luck!

This stuff Applies to a 96 but maybe the same. appears you don't need the bcm as it communicates on a 2 wire data bus with trip computer, power and ground, lighting circuit, and the sensor connects directly to the trip computer for the temp. The compass is indeed built into the console

Geoff
Compass/Mini-Trip Computer

The Compass/Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC) is located in the overhead console. It displays to the driver the direction the vehicle is traveling and the current outside temperature, as well as the following traveler navigational information:

Average Fuel Economy (AVG ECO)
Distance To Empty (DTE)
Instantaneous Fuel Economy (ECO)
Elapsed Time (ET)
Trip Odometer (ODO).
The information needed for the traveler functions is received over the CCD bus from the body control module.

NOTE: If the compass mini-trip computer has been replaced, it may be necessary to reset the calibration.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:28 AM   #8
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Thank you very much. That's good news.
I was guessing that because the computer already knew the mph and odometer reading, it would share that info with the console.
I havn't received the service manual or the console yet, (xmas present), and I am not familiar with "all data". My van has standard a/c and to the best of my knowledge, the wiring harness connections for the overhead console are part of the wiring harness with the rear a/c controls which I don't have. Because our gc does not have rear air/heat, there are no controls for it and thus, the wiring harness will probably be missing. I believe I can get it from Chrysler, part (4869258AC). I would like to know the wiring color codes (hopefully they will be in the service manual). I also need to figure out where to plug the wires in to enable the functionality.
I am not about to play Russian Roulette with the wiring.

I was spoiled by my 2002 GMC Safari which has similar functionality in its overhead console.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jim.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 PM   #9
gforster
AF Enthusiast

No problem Jim,
I'm speaking in terms of 96 - 00 model years maybe the service manual you are getting will tell the tale here. The o/h unit communicates only on the C2d bus with the BCM - it's a common twisted pair data transfer circuit common to all things electronic on the van. What a neat project!
Old 12-23-2003, 07:15 AM   #10
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Once I get the console and the service manual, I will form a plan of attack and hopefully have more answers than questions. I think purchasing the A/C wiring harness for overhead accessories may be the way to go. I will hold off with q/a until I get into the actual installation which will probably be after 01-01-04. Good wiring diagrams should make all the difference.

Happy Holidays to all and Thanks for all the help.

Jim.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #11
mnwalleye
AF Newbie

I also have an overhead console on order for a 98 Dodge Caravan Sport. Hopefully it won't require special wiring as I took down current console and discovered an orange plug that looks like it plugs directly into the computer unit once it arrives. I also checked my friends 97 Town and Country and sure enough, that is the same plug that is installed in his console. I'll let you know if it works.
mnwalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:48 AM   #12
njcbaumann
AF Newbie

Your 98 Sport should be an easy plug and play. If you want to see the outside temperature, you will need the Ambient Temp Sensor if you don't already have it. Look at your friends 97 to see where the temp sensor is wired. On my 2003, the wiring diagram shows it being wired to the fcm or Front Control Module which in turn relays information to the BCM Body Control Module. I just received the service manual and am starting to analyze the wiring.

Because my 2003 was an SE with Standard A/C, it will probably not be prewired for the console and I will need to purchase a special wiring harness for it.

By the time I am done, I will probably have more knowledge about the 2003 Caravan Electronics than I ever cared to.

Happy Holidays.

Jim.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:37 PM   #13
mnwalleye
AF Newbie

got the new used console installed this morning and yep it sure works great! Just like Jim said "plug and play" Just had to reset the compass and need to get the temp sensor which I think is mounted just behind the grill.

Thanks Jim and Geoff for the information.

Walt
Old 01-01-2004, 10:52 PM   #14
MegaMax
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to MegaMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwalleye
got the new used console installed this morning and yep it sure works great! Just like Jim said "plug and play" Just had to reset the compass and need to get the temp sensor which I think is mounted just behind the grill.

Thanks Jim and Geoff for the information.

Walt
I too have thought of doing this my question is: About what should one pay for a used console?

• Suspension:
    Ground Control CoilOvers, $tillen FSTB, RSTB, Addco RSB
  • Lighting:
    Clear Signals, ALL bulbs Hyper White, Rewired Signals, Brighter Corner Light Mod, Rewired Fog lights, Blue Neon Headlights, Hyper White Washer Nozzles, Blue Under Car Neon, Blue Neon Under Dash, Custom wired Tail Lights
  • Cosmetic:
    Blue Break Calipers, ALL Windows Fully Tinted, NisMO badge on rear
  • Performance:
    TB Coolant Bypass, Cattman Jet-Hot Y-Pipe, High Flow Cat, Greddy Catback, $tillen HAI, Unothodox Racing Underdrive Pulley
  • Other:
    Optima Battery Relocated to Trunk,NGK Platinum Plugs, Synthetic Motor Oil (Every 5K), Synthetic Trans Fluid, 93 Octane Fuel ONLY.
  • Best E/T:
    15.4 with just the $tillen HAI 2 years ago… Now, go to the Track to find out..!

Dre's Corner
www.Maxima.Org
www.superstallions.com
www.f150online.com
MegaMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #15
mnwalleye
AF Newbie

MegaMax, I paid $50.00 off e bay, not bad considering the temp sensor will cost about $27.00 off dodgeparts.com

Walt

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager