Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
wierdoslam
AF Newbie

Repeat blower resistor failure

Has anyone run into the front blower resistor going bad over and over? I've replaced it 4 times and it will last a few months. Then the van comes back with high blow only. There is an electrical component built into the resistor that has failed every time. I don't know if this is built-in fusible link or what. I've measured the resistance on a new one, which was basically 0 ohms, so I doubt it's a resistor, and can't be a capacitor. I've been wondering if the blower motor is drawing too much juice ( never blown the fuse ). If anyone has run into this, I would appreciate any tips, or if you know how many amps the blower should draw would be a big help. This is on a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport w/ rear ac.
wierdoslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
2Sheds_Jackson
AF Newbie

I never had this problem with my dodge, but I did with a 93 VW Passat I owned. They were notorious for blowing the fan resistor switch over & over (one would last about 9mo to a year). If it's burned open, I'd say the fan is drawing too much current - but not enough to blow the fuse. I assume you're using OEM new parts (not remanufactured etc.). Don't know that there's much you can do other than maybe replacing the fan -any body else had this trouble?
2Sheds_Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
yale329
AF Regular

Re: Repeat blower resistor failure

I agree with 2Sheds, your blower is drawing to much power. Im' kinda thinking over my head, but has your heater motor been making strange growling noises for awhile befor this happened. Please post reply. Wayne, from the United States, Canada. And I mean that with the outmost respect.
yale329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:06 PM   #4
wierdoslam
AF Newbie

There's no noise, plenty of air coming through the vents. Maybe I should just put a jumper wire over that piece and be done with it.
wierdoslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:50 AM   #5
eXcelon
AF Newbie

i have replaced my 99 stratus blower resistor 4 times too. its the blower thats broken.
eXcelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
miran2782
AF Newbie

I too have replaced the blower resistor pack on my 2001 dodge caravan four times over the past year. The last one lasted just one week. The part that fails is the small cylinder with a red cone on it which is in the center of the four resistors. This is a thermal protector fuse (open circuit below 141deg C or 288 deg F. They sell them at radio shack for $1.50. Two of the four resistors looked a little burned, so my guess is my blower is drawing way too much power, overheating the resistors and eventually blowing the thermal fuse. Does that sound reasonable? What does it cost to replace a blower?
miran2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:25 PM   #7
homefree
AF Regular

Heres a idea, when you replace it again try to put some kind of heat sink on it to draw some of the heat away and there for keeping the part cooler so it don't blow again. Go to your local electronics store and they maybe can help you out some more. Hope you have room to do it.
homefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:50 PM   #8
tazman
AF Enthusiast

I've just had mine replaced and found that there are extended warranties on the HVAC unit this resistor is seated in. Call your local dealership and see if your HVAC unit is covered under the extended warranty. I recieved a letter in the mail informing me that it was covered for 7 years due to unforseen problems (possibly the resistor?).
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
miran2782
AF Newbie

For now I bought the $1.50 part at radio shack and replaced the bad thermal fuse but positioned it a little further away from the resistors. I've also been thinking about the heat sink idea (a little tricky because all the resistors are bare metal carrying power) but I think the overheating is a symptom and not the underlying problem(bad blower? or restricted airflow over the resistor block??)

Tazman, Do you have any other information on the 2001 grand caravan hvac extended warranty you talked about? Do you still have a copy of the letter. I will try to call the local Dodge dealer later this week but any extra info you have would be appreciated.
Thanks
miran2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
larryhe
AF Newbie

The only thing that will blow the thermal fuse is heat. Poor air flow will not dissipate the heat or too much current will generate more heat than the air can dissipate. With the resistor pack removed and fan on high put your finger in hole and see how much air is passing over your finger. Bypassing the thermal fuse could create a fire. If you find the current to be around the same value as other cars I would get a thermal fuse with a slightly higher value.
larryhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:03 PM   #11
1milkman
AF Newbie

I too am having the same problem,but for the first time.Where are the resistors located for the fan?Also I am having a problem with the passenger side power window.It goes down fine but doesn`t want to go up.I f you are patient and wait every few minutes or so it will go up about an inch at a time.Oh yea 2001 grandcaravan.Thanks
1milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #12
int_53185
AF Newbie

Hi Guys! I just replaced the resistor on my brothers 96 caravan...turns out the plug was bad due to overheating and corrosion...the new original dodge resistor came with a wiring pigtail to splice into the wiring harness...work fine now....
int_53185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #13
Anaudiophile
AF Regular

Replace the blower motor AND the resistor at the same time!! The motor is drawing too much current over the resistor circuit!!
Anaudiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #14
Kirk1234
AF Newbie

A few years ago I had to replace the resistor module. It is located on the firewall in the engine compartment on the passenger side. It was corroded. I got the new one from the Dodge dealer. It comes with a new harness connector which I soldered on. Never had another problem with it.
Kirk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
pdaddy68
AF Newbie

Hey guys just wanted to say a very big thank you for all the info about this topic.
My van had this problem and I looked it up and got to this forum. with this info i went ot radio shack and for $1.69 got the thermal cutout and with the very important info about putting an alligator clip on while soldering I didnt burn it up and it works great now. And more importantly my wife is stoked that I fixed it for a 1.69. I did get a slightly higher heat and amperage fuse. I think it was 15 amp and just a tad higher on the temp. THanks again guys I will be coming to back to this forum again Im sure. Lets face it its a dodge.
later
pdaddy
pdaddy68 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager