Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: If Ford and GM built two engines of the same size (5.0), which would be better?? (Please read below
Ford 2 50.00%
GM 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
knightjp
AF Regular

Engines - Ford vs GM

When I ask most people who are mechanics, they claim that GM builds the better engine 'coz its more simpler in design, more powerful and more reliable. But there are the few that claim that Ford's engines are extremely potent despite their smaller size and although appears more complex, is actually equally as reliable.

I was comparing the figures of the 2010 Camaro and 2010 Mustang when you compare the engines, obviously the Camaro beats it with the higher performance figures. It notably understood that its simply because the engine is bigger than that used in the Mustang.

So here is the deal. If GM & Ford built two engines exactly the same size eg.. 5.0 (not a 0.1 added or subtracted, exactly 5.0), which of the two engines would be more powerful and more reliable??

I welcome any replies that can help explain performance figures are calculated.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
knightjp
AF Regular

Re: Engines - Ford vs GM

I cannot believe someone doesn't have an opinion on this...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

Maybe that cause you NEVER INCLUDE CHRYSLER....... HEMI engines? the early 2000's 4.7L? the old 440 six-pack? Hell the SRT-4 engines were actually quite good, the 90's 5.9L that made the 1998 Grand Cherokee the fastest SUV in the world? (at the time) C'mon man...

But out of those two? GM by far. (Small block Chevy kicks ass)

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
knightjp
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpuker View Post
Maybe that cause you NEVER INCLUDE CHRYSLER....... HEMI engines? the early 2000's 4.7L? the old 440 six-pack? Hell the SRT-4 engines were actually quite good, the 90's 5.9L that made the 1998 Grand Cherokee the fastest SUV in the world? (at the time) C'mon man...

But out of those two? GM by far. (Small block Chevy kicks ass)
I like HEMI engines. It was the HEMI that originated the American muscle car lusty exhaust notes.
But while that being said, I found the recent HEMIs to be less powerful than those from GM. Clever.. Yes. Powerful... GM does a better job with the small-block engines.
Another thing is that Chrysler group's engines are rather complicated at times and tend to be a bit problematic from my experience. Over here with the heat and stuff, to be honest, GM and Fords kinda do a better job in terms of maintenance and life-span and durability.

Does that mean people here don't like Mopar??? Nope... I've seen more Challengers here than Camaros... but of course more Mustangs than Challengers... LOL